The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Although the Elise/Exige powertrain is built to close tolerances using modern technology the progressive and sympathetic running-in (or bedding-in) of a new engine and transmission....Failure to comply with the following running-in provisions will invalidate the terms of the vehicle warranty.

Being too sympatheic will not allow the piston rings to bed in properly. For the first 600 miles (1,000 kilometres) use no more than moderate throttle openings (about half the available accelerator pedal travel) and do not run the engine continuously as speeds over 4,500rpm. Occasional short bursts at wider throttle openings and higher rpm will be beneficial... do not let the engine labour in too high a gear...

After 600 miles or 1,000 kilometres have been covered, full throttle and/or maximum rpm may be used for short periods but not until the 'After Sales' service has been carried out should full vehicle performance be exploited.

Servicing is generally every 9,000 miles (15,000 kilometres) or every 12 months. Under heavy use oil and filter needs to be changed every 4,500 miles (7,500 kilometres), inspect air cleaner at 9,000 miles (15,000 kilometres), inspect brake pads at 4,500 miles (7,500 kilometres)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
ACP,
Thanks so much for the information, your posts continue to be of great help to the elise deprived over here.

One other question, at what mileage is the aftersales service done, would that be 600 miles?

Thanks
Chris
89 days and a wakeup.................................

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I will assume that is out of the manual.

It sounds like what we already knew; however, they leave it open to their advantage if it comes to warranty issues.

Also, is the After Sales service at 9,000 miles?

Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
ACP said:

After 600 miles or 1,000 kilometres have been covered, full throttle and/or maximum rpm may be used for short periods but not until the 'After Sales' service has been carried out should full vehicle performance be exploited.
At what milage is the after sales service?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First service is at 600 miles (1,000 kilometres) then standard every 9,000 miles after that.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Well poo, that certainly poses a problem to those of us not living next to our dealers...hm....:confused:

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
At least we get to drive the car just a little bit harder during break-in than usually permitted. However, I still wish Lotus would be more precise in explaining what exactly invalidates the warranty. It mentions failure of compliance with these directions, yet the directions themselves allow for some wiggle room. I have an idea of what my interpretation would be, but I wonder if it agrees with the Lotus' lawyers.

I guess we will find out if someone by chance blows an engine. ;)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
ACP said:
First service is at 600 miles (1,000 kilometres) then standard every 9,000 miles after that.
Hmmm.. I'll drive that in the first day! :D

I wonder what the expense of the first service will be...

Any idea what is specified for the first service? Oil change, inspection, tuning?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If it's the same as here in europe then for the aftersales service Lotus will only charge you the parts (oil filter, oil, etc.) and not labor.

During this service they also have to send in a detailed data-dump from the ECU about the run-in period (rpm's used, 5 highest rpm levels reached, statistical breakdown of rpm's versus time, running time, etc.), together with the inspection report to Lotus, who will then validated/activate the warranty on the car.

After that it's time to go really start using the potential of the car. By this time the brakes should also have been bedded in, so have fun!

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
occasional short bursts at wider throttle openings and higher rpm will be beneficial

occasional = coming irregularly, occurring from time to time

seems just a bit vague to me. hopefully Lotus will provide a bit more guidance on what they want us to do.

I would guess that many (most??) of us will hit 600 miles in the first week (weekend??) that we own the car. It could be hard to give up the car for a day so soon to have it serviced, although it will be nice to complete the break-in so quickly. Perhaps the Lotus dealers can install a drive-through service window.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I think Lotus would have a hard time legally, voiding a warranty unless there was evidence of significant abuse....

·
Registered
154 Posts
he he he ...

just thinking - is it required for warranty to be valid that the 600mi service be done at a lotus dealer?

B/c if we can get an independent shop to do it, then how can lotus prove, when the data is downloaded later in life, that we abused the car in the first 600 mi as opposed to later in life.

If ie they first get data at 5k miles, they won't know if it was flogged in the first 600mi or not.

just a thought

R

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
The fly over pick up my car drive home day just became an extended weekend. I need to hit 600 miles then get it serviced and drive home, phooey.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
In buying new cars, I've always done the servicing myself. While Lotus may want to download the data, wonder with dealers so spread out and many buyers 300 miles or further if it really is "required".

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
According to ACP, to activate your warranty you have to have the service done. Cost would be relatively minor. Course it may be different in Australia.

But not doing the service and having documentation of break in might result in problems with warranty claims later. Don't really know.

Certainly its not written in stone that it has to be done at exactly 600 miles.

Chris
88 days and a wakeup..................................

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
What I'm wondering about is what they will require in the States. Have picked up 4-5 different brands new. As long as you could document the service, your warrenty was fine. So It 'll be intresting to see if they require the download .

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You don't have to have the first service done to validate your warranty I don't believe. It is just their recommended policy. Remember this drive train is very strong and almost unbreakable. To have a warranty claim on the drive train will be very rare indeed.

Other parts of the car however....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts