The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Posted this on SELOC as well.)

The manual says

"For the first 600 miles, use no more than moderate throttle openings (about half of the available accelerator pedal travel) and do not run the engine continously at engine speeds over 4500 rpm. Occasional short burst at wider throttle and higher rpm will be beneficial, as will a constantly changing cruising speed and making full use of the gearbox. [...] After 600 miles have been covered, full throttle and/or maximum rpm may be used for short periods, but not until the 'After Sales' service ths been carried out should full vehicle performance be exploited".

So the question is what's the difference between "Occasional short burst at wider throttle and higher rpm will be beneficial" and "After 600 miles have been covered, full throttle and/or maximum rpm may be used for short periods".

Does this meen that it's ok to rev higher than 6500 from start?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
wallabyguy said:
It's going to be a very very long 600 miles.................
Sounds like a weekend, to me. LA to Las Vegas and back = 600 miles.

I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that the first service (oil change, download chip) was supposed to be at 1000 miles, or was that kilometers??

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had the same advice on my Elise, but I solved the problem by picking up the car in LA and driving back to SF via Highway 1. Perfect running in road (very twisty and hundreds of miles long :)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
It would seem that freeway/highway driving would not be as beneficial, though it would be the easiest way to put a lot of miles under your belt.

Driving around town would use more gears and varying rpms.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Highway 1 from san luis up to montery is literally 80 miles of twisty road. If you can keep a constant speed on it, then the constant speed is about 30mph (maybe 40 in an elise)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Steve W said:
Highway 1 from san luis up to montery is literally 80 miles of twisty road. If you can keep a constant speed on it, then the constant speed is about 30mph (maybe 40 in an elise)
That would be an excellent choice for a nice cruise. So would Highway 49. 600 miles. Very doable in a leisurely weekend.

Thanks PeterF for the info.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
PeterF said:
(Posted this on SELOC as well.)

So the question is what's the difference between "Occasional short burst at wider throttle and higher rpm will be beneficial" and "After 600 miles have been covered, full throttle and/or maximum rpm may be used for short periods".

Does this meen that it's ok to rev higher than 6500 from start?
IMO, I'd say the difference is 8/10 vs. 10/10 of the engine's limit. At this point, based on what your manual is saying and also advice from a tuner friend of mine and others, I plan to stay off of the high cam for the first 100 - 200 miles, but after that occasionally get onto the high cam for short periods. Just my 2cents, subject to change without notice ! ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Mmmm, I thought highwy runs are usually bad because one tends to cruise at a steady RPM.
Driving through LA to get to Hwy 1 is enough traffic to ensure low and varying speeds....

Take the coast road via Malibu rather than 101 to Oxnard

At Santa Barbara take the mountain pass that ends up near Solvang

Overall its a nice run. If someone wants to drive their new Elise to the bay area to run it in let us locals know so we can meet up and show you the fun local mountain roads :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts