·
Registered
279 Posts
111R Impressions continued...

Elise 111R First impressions 2
or
Lecture 102: Applied Physics Laws using Elise 111R

Hi again,

A combination of nice weather (sunny weekend, 10-25oC!!) , beautiful companion (my wife), and my 111R, didn’t allow me much to decide other than “taking” the whole pack, and leaving for completing my running-in period and continuing my “experiences” from where I left them in my last message (look here: http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2628).

So it was Sunday morning and my Liz had already done 430 miles. My plans for this Sunday tour was to make a tour around the Corithian Gulf. So for all of you who might have been in Greece, we would leave Athens heading towards Patras on A-road, cross the Rio-Antirio channel, and take up the beautiful hillclimb of Naypaktos, Galaxeidi, Itea & Arahova, where lies a famous Greek ski resort. After this climb, we’d take back the road down to Athens, and complete a 500km tour in a day.

The main idea behind this trip was to check how 111R behaves on the Greek national roads at speeds around 100miles/h, make a personal check whether my wife and I could live with the hood open at that speed:), and finally have the first so much-anticipated contact with Liz and the mountain turns.
So here come my latest

Experience #1: Elise is a celebrity!
Being in an Elise can be fun sometimes when you meet traffic downtown. There’s even more fun when the hood is down. You suddenly feel like a celebrity in the middle of the road. Everybody looks at you!!! Since in Greece there are only 30 Elise in total, most people try to recognize what type of car it is. In an instance, where I was waiting for my wife to return from a store, there was a company of about 10 students, who got their mobile handsets, and digital cameras and started taking shots of the car. Once she came back, I did them the unconscious favour and without even passing the 3.500-4.000rpm, gave them a nice power slide!!! (it’s so easy and fun, especially in some slippery roads…)
In an another occasion, a chap with a yellow 111S (+ sport exhaust) flashed me his lights, and stopped me to get infos about her. We drove down a central avenue side by side, letting people stare at this very rare image of the two latest Lotus cars.

Experience #2: On Greek A-roads
When I got the 111R I thought that I would drive her as an all-round car. However, Liz gave me the impressions that these kind of road are NOT made for her. She doesn’t feel so comfortable in such roads. It’s like having a tiny baby on your big bed. It’s lost on it. Had you also some wind hitting you, you definitely start calculating how you can increase her weight and get rid of this feeling that you’re gone with the wind :).
This feeling is strengthened even more when you confront a wavy road. Add Liz+Wind+Waves and the combination starts to become annoying a bit, and you’re starting to find ways to deal with it…(see Experience #4)

Experience #3: Hood’s down!
I admit that I never had a roadster before. So the hood-down effect was a sort of fetish for me :D. Once I saw the weather was perfect for the occasion, the hood was packed back in the trunk, and we’re traveling bald!!
Everything was OK, even at speeds like 100-110 miles/h (160-180km/h). It was noisy, but not unpleasant. However, I think that you enjoy this car with the hood down at speeds below 60 miles/h (100km/h). This I believe is approx. the top speed you should have if you want to have a descent conversation with your passenger, hear to your well-prepared MP3 you burned the other day... etc.

Experience #4: German encounter
Reaching our first stop Patras, there was no car that resisted giving us its way to overpass it!! Till the moment we found an E36 M3 with German plates on it.
I had two serious constraints to deal with:
1) Still running-in the car
2) Open hood
Having this restriction set in mind, I just locked on the M3, and stayed behind it.
The guy driving the car was cruising at the same pace like me (100-120miles/h), and Liz’s perfect ride didn’t give me any hard time keeping up with him.
Once we reached Patras we waived each other left toward different directions.
After 220km, we made a stop for a hot cappuccino and later on headed towards Rio-Antirio to catch the ferry and pass the channel.

Experience #5: The hillclimb: Where physics start to become conscience!
If I only knew how right these guys that participate in the Stelvio Pass excursions!
The road I took on Sunday wasn’t even a far relative of this hillclimb. However, even under those softer circumstances I met, I got the message she carries on: This is the place to unleash her beauty!
It’s like her body. What you like on her is that there are no big straight lines, but instead continuous curves :). You just get in love with the way it turns in, and the information she gives you about the road. If only I could live in such a place!
(btw. the only reason I’m jealous of the 111S guy I met, is that he leaves about 80km away from Athens, where there’s a famous Greek hillclimb. It’s his weekly practice field, he said!!! Grhhh! However there’s a nice, short though, circuit about half an hour drive away from home, where I could make my practice.)

Back to hillclimb though…
Elise could easily be said to be the epitomy of applied physics. It’s the perfect way to get in love with this set of rules that govern the world we live. She doesn’t care about your educational background. It will always find the way to “teach” you how things should work better for you and her under all circumstances :), no matter if you’re a historian, a science engineer, or a worker.
She’s always there to teach you the lesson of centrifugal forces in the most easy way. Centripetal gets into your mind much more easily. Friction problems (breaking, under/oversteering, slippery road conditions) can be solved within a blink of an eye.
However what she wants from you is just a couple of things:
1) Be open-minded. Trust her and let her show you the lesson. Accept the knowledge those talented Lotus engineers inherited in her genes and repeat after her :). Your speed and increased reflexes will eventually come with successful repetition…
2) Be soft but decisive with her. She doesn’t like clumsy moves, even if she’ll obey to them most of the times. She doesn’t like unsure moves either. You either follow, or sit back repeating the lesson at a slower pace. Any other way solve the presented “physics” case, could lead to a failure of your relation, and the damage involved is assessed sole based on how good student you were!.

Here I conclude my latest thoughts and impressions from living with 111R. Hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I did. I’m only looking forward to having the After Sales Service carried out by Friday and unleash her again during the forthcoming weekend.

Some new low resolution (640x480) photos can be found here:

High Resolution (2560x1920, ca. 800k each)
http://www.bosdas.com/lotus/images/personal/0321/040321_02.jpg
http://www.bosdas.com/lotus/images/personal/0321/040321_04.jpg
http://www.bosdas.com/lotus/images/personal/0321/040321_05.jpg
http://www.bosdas.com/lotus/images/personal/0321/040321_06.jpg

Have fun,

Theo

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
OK I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE.

ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE THIS CAR...PLEASE STOP IT! :mad: I DONT WANT TO SEE YOUR PRETTY PICTURES!! I DONT WANT TO HEAR YOUR FABULOUS WRITE UP's, I DONT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR LOVELY LITTLE DRIVES AND GOOD TIMES.

STOP STOP STOP!!!!!!!

:p J/k, I like the write up's, excellent pics and info and Gorgeous car, but it IS killing me. ;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
As you saw I posted a copy of the msg here as well...

Once all of you will get your 111Rs, you'll feel how I feel now. It's such an amazing car! The perfect toy to teach physics to some kids like us :D

Still 150 miles to go for AS :D

Have fun,
Theo

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
theob said:

Once all of you will get your 111Rs, you'll feel how I feel now. It's such an amazing car! The perfect toy to teach physics to some kids like us :D

Have fun,
Theo
I know we are all looking forward to you next write up. They are a very enjoyable read. Thanks for taking the time:)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Iceman- said:
Hi Theob,
i got a 111R saffron yellow and i did 320km, but my car has got a strange noise from the steering wheel when i turn it.
Your car has the same problem?

Could you elaborate a bit more on that?

Is it a constant noise you hear every time you turn the wheel or is it something like a click for every few degrees? I have this click noise, but don't think it's anything that I should worry about...

Hope it's the same noise...

·
Registered
475 Posts
theob said:
Could you elaborate a bit more on that?

Is it a constant noise you hear every time you turn the wheel or is it something like a click for every few degrees? I have this click noise, but don't think it's anything that I should worry about...

Hope it's the same noise...

Mine get a noise every degree of the steering like there are somethings inside the steering wheel that touch each other like two pieces of iron.
The strange thing is that it's appear after 100 km
Wednesday i'll go to the dealer to do a control, via telephone they said me that is something on the clacson mechanism that has get few grease.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
theob said:

Have fun,
Theo
I had one year of physics in college, but I've forgotten most of it. If I could just get my damn car, I'd be willing to relearn some of it.

I don't know if Theo is naturally lyrical or if his brain has been addled by driving the Elise, but his poetic descriptions of his driving experiences are both very charming and severely aggravating, as Jenn pointed out. :D

We have nothing else to do, so the lucky owners should continue to entertain/torture us with their pictures and reports.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
OneFastMiata said:

ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE THIS CAR...PLEASE STOP IT! :mad: I DONT WANT TO SEE YOUR PRETTY PICTURES!! I DONT WANT TO HEAR YOUR FABULOUS WRITE UP's, I DONT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR LOVELY LITTLE DRIVES AND GOOD TIMES.

STOP STOP STOP!!!!!!!

Easy Jen,

It's almost here, I wouldn't want to see guys in white robes come to your house and take you away before you take delivery of your Elise.

Just another two more months and you'll have it:)
Mitch

·
Registered
479 Posts
theob said:

Have fun,
Theo
I'm a physicist...does that mean I can write this car off as a buisness expense on my taxes?

·
Registered
327 Posts

Beautiful. Really beautiful.

I'm a big fan of red seat covers that look like that.

The car is nice too.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Our different timezones don't allow me to answer while you write your nice comments about my posts.
Here I go though:

Hans Stuck[/i] Beautiful. Really beautiful. I'm a big fan of red seat covers that look like that. The car is nice too. [/quote] [b] The red seat "cover" shown perfectly complements my life experiences with those I get from Liz. More aggresive under pressure than Liz though :D [/b] [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by jml1952 said:
I had one year of physics in college, but I've forgotten most of it. If I could just get my damn car, I'd be willing to relearn some of it.

You definitely will...Liz will find the way to send you back to class :D

I don't know if Theo is naturally lyrical or if his brain has been addled by driving the Elise, but his poetic descriptions of his driving experiences are both very charming and severely aggravating, as Jenn pointed out. :D

Me a poet? I even feel that what I write is an understatement of what Liz gives me with open hands to describe... I'm very new to Lotus, and feel very enthusiastic about driving 111R, but still her deep well-kept secrets are yet to be discovered.

Her message is just so personally focused onto the driver that even an enthusiastic and knowledgeable passenger would simply say the car kicks [email protected]#s :).
Hope all guys on the waiting list will confirm what I say by the time the touch the steering wheel...
Stay tuned to my "Experience Reports" and stay focused on your dream of having this incomparable toy car!

Are the cars in Greece right or left hand drive. I was told by a Greek friend of mine the cars are all right hand drive. I see you can is left hand?

Greece is strictly a LHD country, and never was RHD. For future reference, you can remember as a general rule of thumb that RHD cars exist either in the UK, or in other former English Commonwealth member countries + Japan. I can't recall of any other countries that are RHD.

Originally posted by Iceman
Mine get a noise every degree of the steering like there are somethings inside the steering wheel that touch each other like two pieces of iron.
The strange thing is that it's appear after 100 km

I don't hear such a noise. Hope your dealer will sort out what's up with your steering wheel, and let you enjoy this magnificent tool :)

]Originally posted by OneFastMiata

ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE THIS CAR...PLEASE STOP IT! I DONT WANT TO SEE YOUR PRETTY PICTURES!! I DONT WANT TO HEAR YOUR FABULOUS WRITE UP's, I DONT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR LOVELY LITTLE DRIVES AND GOOD TIMES.

STOP STOP STOP!!!!!!!

Mission's still incomplete!
"Torture" classes have just begun :D

201: Applied Physics using AS-ed 111R class will commence next week :D
Hint: AV aids might be extensively used for easier understanding of physics principles!!!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Theob: I will concurr: Your car is beautiful. And your traveling companion is beautiful too (you weren't kididng when you wrote that). But for god's sake: THE ELISE IS NOT ONLY NOT A SHE, IT IS NOT A "LIZ"!!!!

At least that's how I see things.

(And c'mon, how's your wife gonna feel if she finds out about "the other woman" in your life?)

You know, it's funny, when I see OFM unleash her blind fury at all the lucky sobs who already have their cars, I can empathize -- except my blind fury (probably a tad less furious) is a reaction to everyone who insists on cutesy-fying this car with dainty nicknames or silly anthropomorphic pronouns.

If/when I get this car, I expect to appreciate it just as much as the next Elise owner. But it's just a machine -- a machine to be mastered, and controlled, and utterly subjugated to human will.

Stay tuned for a poll, everyone, because it's time to separate this board into two kinds of people: People who consider cars mere machines, and people who have lost their freakin' minds! ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts