The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody want to order these? I do, but am wondering how much they will be, or if they'll be available for purchase. They might just be on CD too as many car companies are sending them out that way now.

Barry

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I'd wait a bit until the US car gets here, they may not have finalized it.

Some kind soul will probably scan it and put it into adobe and have it on a site, just like the S1 and S2 manual are.
Chris

·
Registered
228 Posts
You should be able to order one from your dealer once the car becomes available. As for pricing, you could ask on SELOC. I'm sure someone over there has bought a set.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
hermanslotus said:
Yeh I'd like my car first before I am going to order a service manual. It just doesn't make any sense to get this now. We are still several months away for this car, right??

Best Wishes,
Mitch

seems like the perfect way to kill time for the next few months to me :cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Service Manual, Parts List and Labour Times Manual do never come as CD from Lotus - then arrive printed in a binder. At some time they will be (well...illegally) available as a PDF download somewhere in the internet like the S1 / S2 manuals.

I am not yet quite sure which model code the Federal Elise has got, but the typ no "120" refers to "some" Toyota engined Elise/Exige - most probably it is the Exige S2. The manuals are on back order (LIKE EVERYTHING - STILL WAITING FOR THE BODY ASSEMBLIES !!!) right now.

For a rough price estimation, here are the Exige S2 manual prices... in Euros.
A120T0325J SERVICE PARTS LIST 159,18 €
A120T0327J SERVICE NOTES 178,06 €
A120T0328L LABOUR TIMES SCHEDULE 55,68 €

HTH

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
hermanslotus said:
Yeh I'd like my car first before I am going to order a service manual. It just doesn't make any sense to get this now. We are still several months away for this car, right??

Best Wishes,
Mitch
Yeah, but this would be the definitive answer to a lot of questions like what exactly LSS buys you here vs in UK, etc. :)

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
In the past Lotus releases Parts Manuals and Service Notes shortly after the car is out. The bad news is that that manual will only be about 10% of the car. Over the next few quarters, Lotus will release updates to the books until they are complete. For example, when I got my Exige book back in 2000, the parts book was about 1/2 inch thick. It is now amost 4" thick as they have added and updated the information.

My point is that I would not get one early unless you need it. Historiclly, Lotus will not send you the updates without you asking for them...

Roy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tpup said:
Historiclly, Lotus will not send you the updates without you asking for them...
Roy [/B]
... and paying for them ! The updates are quite expensive on their own.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Porsche shop manuals are notorious this way- when the model first arrives, the manuals are near-empty binders that get filled in later with periodic updates (cha-ching!).

And it gets worse- the manuals assume that you have the PRIOR model manuals. In other words, it is not uncommon for 993 manuals (911 from 1995-1998) to completely omit procedures that remain basically unchanged from the 964 (1989-1994). Kind of a pain in the butt, really. Then, to make things even MORE painful, Porsche only prints the manuals in batches, and the last time I checked (last fall) there was signficant frustrated demand for the 993 manuals that were scheduled to remain on backorder indefinitely until a threshold order quantity was reached.

I guess it's way to much to ask for to have somebody like Bentley take a stab at a manual- I've used theirs for BMWs, Saabs, and Volkswagens over the years, and I love 'em. (Chilton's manuals aren't good for much more than propping up a table that has a short leg)

(rant on)
To be honest, I don't know why car companies aren't more willing to market a decent manual on a CD. It's much easier to print out the manual pages you need, then not worry about getting them greasy and smudged. Also, (as a benefit to the manufacturer) the reproduction and/or storage costs of a CD-based manual would be very low compared to binders of paper. Paper manuals don't offer as much copy protection as one might think, because once somebody puts it through a sheet-fed scanner you're right back to an electronic version anyway.
(rant off)

In a perfect world, we could download whatever updates evolved as the model matures, and would always have easy access to the latest information. Happy owners become fanatical supporters which then become a POWERFUL marketing tool. Hmmmm....

(Sorry so long! I probably had too much caffeine this afternoon!)

:D

-Knute

1 - 11 of 11 Posts