The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Alan at Roadfly:

The new Lotus Elise 111R is awarded Best Sportscar 2004 by Britain's leading monthly car magazine, BBC Top Gear.

This award adds to the already stocked trophy cabinet for the Elise, bringing the total number of awards to over 50 since the car's debut in 1995.

The Elise 111R, the latest addition to the Elise family, has a 1.8 litre VVTL-i engine (Variable Valve Timing & Lift intelligent) producing a maximum power output of 192PS (189hp, 141kw). Performance figures are of a supercar with a 0-60mph sprint of 4.9 seconds (0-100km/h in 5.2 seconds) before reaching a maximum speed of 150mph (241km/h).

Key to this phenomenal performance is the Elise 111R's light weight of just 860kg making the British built sportscar not just one of the lightest sportscars on the market but one of the lightest cars on sale of any type! Coupled with a very strong and stiff aluminium chassis the Elise 111R continues to set standards by which all other sportscars are judged.

Ansar Ali, General Manager for Lotus Cars UK, is overjoyed with the award: "Coming hot on the heels of the world debut of the new Lotus Exige at the Geneva Motorshow, I am delighted that the Elise 111R has won this award from such a renowned magazine. I would therefore like to thank everyone who has made the Elise such a success, from the engineering and manufacturing teams at our headquarters in Hethel, Norfolk and our Sales and Marketing teams and dealers around the world".

BBC Top Gear magazines Nik Berg sums up the reason for the Elise 111R winning the Best Sportscar Award 2004 "The Lotus Elise 111R is quite simply the best Elise - and probably the best Lotus - ever".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Strage, since the car just came out and 2004 is not even 1/4 way over yet. But good new regardless.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting article. One of the few that applauds the brakes. I could have done without the "fussy Americans" comment. I never knew that desiring safety features and a/c when it is 100 degrees outside made me "fussy."

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Remember, that is British humor. (or humour?!). Take it with a grain of salt. And a Guinness.

Is that issue of Top Gear on the stands now? Which issue is it?

Thomas

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I love Top Gear, one of my favorite car magazines (and I subscribe to about 12 total). However, the editors are vehemently anti-American. They never miss an opportunity to diss our politicians, our driving habits, our roads, and our supposed proclivity for luxury cars as opposed to driver's cars... Did anyone read Clarkson's review of the GT40? It started with a lengthy diss of Detroit. And he even blamed the BMW Z4's problems on the fact that it was designed for the American market.

At any rate, I still think Top Gear has some of the most interesting writing and photography. Plus, the anti-American sentiments just make me laugh; they're too cartooney to even be offensive.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
It's a good write up. They are not above jabbing at themeselves either. I.e. comment about the underpowered K engine. I loved this part
"At these engine speeds the K-Series sounds close to catastrophic failure, yet the Toyota unit was born for such extremes. "

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
nxm150 said:
Strage, since the car just came out and 2004 is not even 1/4 way over yet.
I'm with you. What a joke! The new version has been out for a very short time and the year is barely underway. Somebody at Top Gear must need to kiss Lotus' arse quite badly.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I find this quote from top gear rather ironic:

"Until now, the Elise, a car that we know to be one of the most CO2 friendly sports cars, has fallen foul of the law Stateside, whilst a Dodge Viper hasn't. Doesn't make much sense to us Brits, but then again, they do have a president who thinks the French don't have a word for entrepreneur. "

It is my understanding that it was a business decision for Lotus not to adapt and bring the Elise to the US heretofor because their production capacity was maxed with VX220 and their Euro / Asian sales. So, when they in fact did bother to market it here, the mean old US gave them exemption grants for the bumpers and headlights. If that is not accommodating, (incl. the grants for the Esprit as well) . I don't know what is.

Lotus also has only themselves to blame for the M250 not being designed for this market as well since they had deposits in advanced.

·
Registered
58 Posts
" ...the Elise, a car that we know to be one of the most CO2 friendly sports cars..." - ??? If you burn a hydrocarbon, the BEST you can hope for is CO2 and H2O. Did they mean CO??

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
No

from the UK site:
The Lotus Elise as a company car:
Extremely low CO2 emissions – 177g/km

From 06 April 2002, company car tax will be based upon CO2 emissions and price and not on yearly mileage. Therefore, the more polluting the car, the more tax that is paid; so a small supermini will normally have a lower tax burden than a luxury limousine.

------------------------------------------------------
from another site

No agreement exists on what constitutes an optimum strategy for responding to the threat of global warming. Environmentalists have proposed the most radical interventions, calling for reductions in the emissions of CO2 and other greenhouse gases.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I think the point is that many sports cars don't get the fuel economy that the Elise does. Less fuel burned = less CO2 produced.

T.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The ability to laugh at oneself.
It is a sense that is stronger in us Brits than it is in us Americans. So don't take their comments to heart , it is humour.

Adamant (the Brit/Yank)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
adamant said:
The ability to laugh at oneself.
It is a sense that is stronger in us Brits than it is in us Americans. So don't take their comments to heart , it is humour.

Adamant (the Brit/Yank)
Yet, the article was written by brits, to a British audience. I don't see how that qualifies as laughing at oneself when you make comments about someone other than the British. Either way, I love the humo(u)r. ;)

I like my girlie options! :D A/C is a must considering that I'm a few hundred miles south of the southern most tip of the UK. Acutally, most people don't know that the UK is further north than all of the continental US. I live along the same latitude as the Strait of Gibraltar. The power windows are nice simply because everyone indicated that it stops the rattle that the crank windows suffer from.

This is my 100th post!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts