The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I might need a $1200 flower pot to go with my $1000 hose reel. I figure I would just cut off the top of it, drill a few holes in the bottom, put it up on small feet (or mount to a wall).

Any other suggestions on what to do with my stock 2008 Exige gas tank? I am replacing it due to fuel starve issues. Any other creative ideas or should I just sell it (how much)?

I don't think it would work well as a speaker box, I don't want to use it as a latrine, I have no animals to use it as a feeding trough...

You know you are jealous.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
You could leave the stock tank and install a surge tank. Replacing the stock tank alone will only reduce, not cure, the fuel starve problem. You will need a surge tank to completely cure the problem so why not save some money by leaving the stock tank alone?

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Guys, guys... this is not a fuel tank vs swirl pot argument.

I have tested with two friends, one with the Sector V2 tank, one with the new revised Lotus tank. Both get down to less than 1 gallon before there is any sign of fuel starve. I saw the data (fuel level and pressure) in both cases. Repeatable. At auto-x and at the track. On Hoosier A6 and R6 tires.
There are benefits to both (tank vs pot). I won't get into it here.. each has their purpose/pros/cons. Both are great solutions. I am choosing the tank, which does not rule out getting a swirl pot in the future if I ever needed one (not sure why I would but... just sayin').

Anyway, this is a serious discussion about turning a stock fuel tank into a flower pot.

Or bathtub.

Or selling it.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Time out. Are you getting a completely new tank or the V2 tank from S111? If you are getting the V2 tank you will need to send you current take to S111 as a core exchange.

If you ever want to run REAL power, you will need a surge tank.

·
Registered
741 Posts
You could fill it with cement and use it as a boat anchor (just to stay on topic).

What's the "new revised Lotus tank" you tested? I'm guessing that's the route you're going since you don't need your old tank as a core.

TIA,

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Time out. Are you getting a completely new tank or the V2 tank from S111? If you are getting the V2 tank you will need to send you current take to S111 as a core exchange.
I am getting the revised Lotus tank.

You could fill it with cement and use it as a boat anchor (just to stay on topic).
What's the "new revised Lotus tank" you tested? I'm guessing that's the route you're going since you don't need your old tank as a core.
TIA,
I sincerely thank you for at least trying to keep this thread on topic. :)

Yes, the new (came out last year or so) tank is what I am going with and what we tested. Basically, our stock tank has a big hole in the baffle (a large hole, then some 1/2 circles around the edges, + older tanks lose the sealant around the baffle). The new revised Lotus tank is simple - the baffle is solid, sealed around the edges, and that hole that was in the original tank is now a tube. That tube keeps the gas from fully sloshing back into the side away from the pump. The Sector V2 tank uses two trap doors to do the same.

I am going the tank route with my stock car because tanks with proper baffling add NO electronics, no more extra hoses, no more to break. Tanks work in the 211 cars with slicks too. Also a pot is NOT legal in SCCA Solo (either is the Sector V2 tank for that matter, just the revised factory tank is).

Some of the pros-cons of each tank:
The V2 - is cheaper, prob seals better, not legal in SCCA Solo, fuel level does not work until the last gallon, you can hear the baffle doors clatter when driving or when you come to a stop.
The revised stock tank - is damn expensive, silent, no moving parts, factory legal SCCA (and others), fuel level continues to work as it did with old stock tank.

So, I am not against fuel pots, I am just pointing out why I am going with a tank.

Now, enough of that, this thread was started so I could find a use for my old tank. Or who can I sell it to?

Thanks!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Thanks for the info about the new Lotus tank, I'm going to have to give my local dealer a call.

Tortilla chip party bowl?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If you have counter tops and cabinets and all that stuff in your garage, cut the tank in half and recess it into the counter top to serve as a cool sink basin. Use a fuel filler neck or something as the faucet and shift knobs for the faucet knobs.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Cut it in half, put hinges on one side, a handle on the other, then tack on a 1/2 inch piece of metal on the inside edge that will support grille grates. Then just figure what to do for legs. Bam, instant BBQ awesomeness.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
...or, you could just put some wheels on it and turn it into a long distance gokart. I mean, you could still use it as a gas tank/frame. You could go like 1000 miles on 9-10 gallons of fuel when your only feeding a 47cc engine!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Mount it in your shower, fill it with shampoo, then put a little nozzle at the bottom. You'd never run out of shampoo!

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another idea: Cut top just as I would if I were to use it as a flower pot and use it as a Shelf/organizer for garage... to hold oil quart containers, misc spray cans etc.

Pooter - these ideas are brilliant! Most useful for me would be the sink basin but no room. :(

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
If I can recall the shape of the fuel tank correctly, I think you can cut the side that's facing the back of the seats and turn it into a book/magazine holder?
Place that sucka under a glass table and make it like a TopGear engine block table.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts