The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife picked up the latest Dupont Registry while at the grocery. There is an add from the Henessy company (you know the one that builds up Vipers). They show a sketch of some Exige with a widebody kit. If I recall they claim they will build up your Elise/Exige to 1200hp and it will have a weight of 2600lbs.. Anyone have any idea how they are doing that? With the weight gain I'm guessing an engine swap. I asked my wife if we could do that to our 2005 Elise,,, I got the type of "No" that pretty much means no discussion required, there is no way it will ever happen.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Lol, that doesnt make ANY sense! I cant even begin to imagine what that process could entail.

Could you take a picture and post it so I could read the ad?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hell thinking about it, Id only add about 250lbs to drop a Chevy LS1 corvette motor + t56 6speed with the corvette rear end.

That other 350 would have to be some serious structural changes to hold the new motor I guess.

Man could you imagine 350hp with 375TQ at the wheels in an elise!

:panic:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
^sounds like a bad idea....thats just too much power! Ive seen one of their TT vipers at the track spin out a half dozen times before giving up.

Now drop the rear tire size, make the platform skinnier and lose 1000lbs....

WTF?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does sound undrivable. I wonder if it is still just a build they have in "theory". If I recall the photo was more of a sketch than a real car. I wonder if such a car actually exists yet. Sounds like a good way to get yourself killed. Heck lets just pull out a jet motor out of some old MIG and have a go. Would probably kill me only a fraction of a second sooner than 1200hp piston motor.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Frankly speaking from what ive heard of John Henessy, I wouldnt trust he knows the limits of vehicle dynamics much less trust him with my money to build one without causing problems along the way. That "theory" car he has in mind could never seriously be driven, it just cant put down that much power. It has far too much torque and an insane amount of hp without much in the area of more downforce. He's trying to turn the Exige into a muscle car like no other. People who think a better car means more cylinders, more horsepower, and more torque needs to just stop building cars. There is a lot more to a car than the engine.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i've been having fun experimenting with different elise builds on forza, a reasonably accurate simulator - on a lark i tried modifying the engine up to 400 horsepower last week and found it absolutely undriveable, completely throwing off the dynamics...

...i'll be the first to admit that i make no claims of being an expert driver, and it may well be that my skillset just isn't up to managing that much power on such a light car, but from my experiences so far, once i begin creeping over 300 horsepower it noticably starts to upset the balanced handling that i fell in love with...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Someone will buy one and shortly after buying it they will rotate the car into a wall first time they hit the gas pedal. Only in texas will you find people with that much money and little brains to duke it out on the freeways. "sorry to generalize didn't like my stint there with the drivers in the area I ran into."

·
Registered
758 Posts
I wouldn't believe anything he says. Google that jackass and see what comes up.

Hell, there is even a term "Hennescrewed" that has been popularized on many a automotive forum.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I think I posted this in the dumbest comments thread:

Had a guy at a gas station come up to me and tell me that if I would only fork over $10K to Hennessey, he would set me up with a thousand HP.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I think I posted this in the dumbest comments thread:

Had a guy at a gas station come up to me and tell me that if I would only fork over $10K to Hennessey, he would set me up with a thousand HP.
So that's how you were turning those 1:33's at H2R! I knew it!

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
The Forced Fed car had so much power a pro driver was having a hard time keeping it on the track at some mag. event. What would you do with 3 times that power?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Easy solution. GM has a 1200hp Ecotec, yes using the stock Cobalt block. You can get all the parts through GM performance catalog. I saw one of these motors next to the Lotus display at the 2005 12hrs of Sebring. I'll try to did up the pics, very beautiful setup. Watch out Veyron GT. Hell if they put them in production Cobalt unibdies all day, we could mount one somehow?

here's and example:

NOPI Hot Rod Chevy Cobalt Information
Production coupe uni-body with carbon-fiber doors and one-piece nose
Integrated SFI roll-cage
Front-wheel-drive
Transverse-mounted ECOtec race engine
1200hp @ 9200rpm
2.16L Inline 4 cylinder
Turbo-charged (Borg-Warner) and intercooled
3 injectors per cylinder with FAST XFI Engine Management System
Methanol fuel
Race-modified Hydra-matic 4T65 transmission
Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil

2007 best elapsed time: 7.787 seconds (Englishtown/NHRA)
2007 best speed: 183.72 mph (Virginia/NHRA)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts