The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
12V cigarette lighter socket fuse keeps blowing. While installing my Costco rear view camera, I found out that the 12V socket fuse was blown. I replaced it but it blew again in less than a week. Any ideas why? The monitor doesn't draw much power and I imagine there shouldn't be much electrical complexity to the socket.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Take your "cupholder" out and look at the connection. I'd be willing to bet something is loose or making contact in there.

·
Registered
992 Posts
12V cigarette lighter socket fuse keeps blowing. While installing my Costco rear view camera, I found out that the 12V socket fuse was blown. I replaced it but it blew again in less than a week. Any ideas why? The monitor doesn't draw much power and I imagine there shouldn't be much electrical complexity to the socket.
can u save me a second and let me know where that fuse is located? thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bet its the screw that holds the cup holder down, It's a very poor design the screw hits the hot terminal of the power port :shrug:

·
Registered
992 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bet its the screw that holds the cup holder down, It's a very poor design the screw hits the hot terminal of the power port :shrug:
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try to find a rubber washer to keep the screw from seating so deep into the hole. I tried to cut the end of the screw off but didn't have a good way of doing it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: This time it turned out to be the fuse for the monitor. I'm going to have to keep on an eye on this situation. Maybe the screw in the "cupholder" is the culprit.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
If the monitor fuse blew there is either a short within the unit or a high resistance elseware which can cause the units fuse to blow before the circuit fuse. A direct short in the circuit would not cause the units fuse to blow.
UPDATE: This time it turned out to be the fuse for the monitor. I'm going to have to keep on an eye on this situation. Maybe the screw in the "cupholder" is the culprit.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the monitor fuse blew there is either a short within the unit or a high resistance elseware which can cause the units fuse to blow before the circuit fuse. A direct short in the circuit would not cause the units fuse to blow.
Would it matter how I apply power to the monitor (i.e., plug the cigarette socket end in while the cable is already connected to the monitor vs plugging the cable's jack into the monitor while it is already plugged into the 12V cigarette socket)?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
No difference. Question, is the fuse inside the monitor. How frequently do the fuses blow. Has the 12v outlet circuit fuse ever blown when you had something else plugged in.
Would it matter how I apply power to the monitor (i.e., plug the cigarette socket end in while the cable is already connected to the monitor vs plugging the cable's jack into the monitor while it is already plugged into the 12V cigarette socket)?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No difference. Question, is the fuse inside the monitor. How frequently do the fuses blow. Has the 12v outlet circuit fuse ever blown when you had something else plugged in.
The fuse is in the piece that inserts into the 12v socket.

I haven't used the monitor much so its fuse has only blown once.

The fuse in the fuse box has blown once but I don't know when. It blew some time in the past 5 months (my period of ownership). It worked when I first got the car because I used it to charge a cell phone back in January.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Check the wiring connections inside the monitor's fused plug and also the connection on the back of the 12v outlet. Check also the wire from the monitor to the plug, check all the way along it and see if it has been knicked. A strand of wire touching between positive and negative will do it.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
under the front passenger side triangular access cover that is held down by three hex bolts.
Thread helped me figure out why I couldn't charge my cell phone....thought the charger was broken at first...as it was the first time I ever tried using the cigarette lighter.

20A fuse was blown (probably from me taking the center console off a jillion times), replaced and phone charger works now :up:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts