The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lotus : Evora Supercharged in Lotus | eBay Motors

apparently World Imports has like the sweetest hookups in the world or something. Part of me wants to call but I don't feel like dealing with the awkwardness.

Either way I'd be interested to see more. Carbon Gray on Black though, not a bad color combo by any means but a first S IPS you think they would go with something a bit more exciting, or at least a new color.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Says available now, but only has stock pictures.
Somehow I do not think they have the car yet. might be in transit

·
Registered
246 Posts
I spoke to a US Lotus rep at HQ a few weeks ago and he said 2013 cars would start to show up within weeks. Expect this to be limited, but not surprising that some are on their way. Also, agree they probably don't actually have it. I love the color combo actually, but can't deal with the automatic transmission. If it were an automated manual then I would feel differently. Have not driven an IPS, but if it is any thing like a tiptronic porsche then no thanks. It is a "slush box" and just does not have the same feel. For those that have actually owned/driven IPS, please correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
396 Posts
Last Tuesday Pat said the car was at the port waiting on some paperwork. World Imports is indeed getting the first 2013 IPS - should arrive imminently if it's not already there.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
I believe a previous poster (Julian73? another Evora thread that's still active) recently stated the earliest '13s were '12s that were waiting for parts before they could be completed.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Would like to see the write up

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dropped my 2010 Evora NA off at the dealer this morning for a coupe of minor warranty jobs, and managed to get a drive in the new MY12 Evora IPS S.

Bit of background, I've done 10k in mine in 22 months, but getting itchy feet and starting to lol around for a possible replacement. I reckon mine is now worth 35-38k ish, and this new one was 67k :O

Most of this review will be based against my Evora.

Ok so...

Looks - This one was black, which is obviously a lot more subtle than Chrome Orange, but in a good way. I can see the attraction. Black suits it very well. Orange can be a bit 'stand out' at times! No major differences on the outside apart from the painted calipers, bigger diffuser, and oval exhaust. None which is describe as better, just different. Looks nice

Interior - no arguing here, the new interior is nicer. The extra, softer leather and coloured stitching make it feel like a nice place to be, feels quality. This is obviously getting compared to a 2 year old, 10k car but it's definately better/nicer. The steering wheel is thicker, and still lovely to hold. The head unit is 10x better. Looks better, more upmarket. Heated seats are a big plus point for me aswell. Armrest was nice, if a little low but I presume this can be adjusted

Sound - upon start up, it's definately louder. Not earache loud, but it's also got a nicer tone. Sports button then opens the exhaust flaps and it's louder yet. I like it.

Drive - Started off the first few miles in 'Drive' mode which lets the car do all the work. Let the car warm up and start to push on a bit. The MY12 is very refined. Much the same as the NA, I could quite happily eat away miles in it no problem. Pulling the paddles back changes the GB into 'Manual' which will then only change up at the limiter, or down before stalling. I also like that. Changes are not quite GT-R quick, but quick enough.

Into 'Sport' mode (which I've always got on in mine) and there is a noticeable change in character. The GB tends to hold a lower gear and it's significantly sharper in throttle and gear changes. Nice blips on the downchanges but as with all auto boxes, I'd feel a bit daft doing this through towns, villages etc.. Sounds great when pushing on though :D The performance is also effortless. The box definately helps. It reminded me of the GT-R in a way, not nearly as quick, but absolutely quick enough and it picks up speed at quite an alarmly easy rate.

Gearbox - the IPS definately makes the Evora feel quicker, and after 10 miles or so I really started to enjoy it, which I wasnt expecting. The Evora is a great compromise car IMO - sedate enough and comfy for long distance, yet feels right at home on track, or on a back road blast. The IPS takes this a step further for me, auto mode makes it a very relaxing cruiser, and the paddles add to the drama. Does it detract from involvement? I think it does, it could be a very lazy man car to drive, but I'm still trying to decide if that's a bad thing or not.

Couple of minor negatives on the GB for me would be having to press 'D' to revert to Auto from Manual. Many will prefer this, but it's not very intuitive. I also found out of slow corners the box would kick down when not really necessary. Maybe something is get used to, or maybe it was my driving!

Overall Thoughts - Fantastic car. Absolutely superb. But then so is the 2010 NA IMO. Had the demonstrator been a roadster I would have been talking numbers.

Is it worth another 30k over the standard Evora? I'm not convinced. One thing for sure, it's a better car but it's highlighted just how good the standard Evora is. Forid 30's I think it's a cracking car. A bit more power would have been nice, an extra 50bhp maybe just to make it properly quick.

I'm tempted. I'd like to try the V6 Exige and R8 before deciding, and Brandon the salesman said it would be worthwhile doing so.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Nice write-up.
If you are in the U.S., however, I don't think you will get a chance to drive/buy a V6 Exige for comparison :(.

·
Illegal Alien
5,153 Posts
I believe a previous poster (Julian73? another Evora thread that's still active) recently stated the earliest '13s were '12s that were waiting for parts before they could be completed.
No, not me; last year I mentioned that the 2012's were at the ports awaiting final US certification paperwork. This threads ebay post is a D=2013 VIN number, but as others said probable on the seas or port. From the VIN I see we are geting early cars vs. in 12 we got 161 into the years production.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AutoExact Inventory Search

Sarasota Lotus has pics up of their 13 S IPS...first pictures I've seen of one being in country. Maybe I'll take a test drive at some point.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Dropped my 2010 Evora NA off at the dealer this morning for a coupe of minor warranty jobs, and managed to get a drive in the new MY12 Evora IPS S.

Bit of background, I've done 10k in mine in 22 months, but getting itchy feet and starting to lol around for a possible replacement. I reckon mine is now worth 35-38k ish, and this new one was 67k :O

Most of this review will be based against my Evora.

Ok so...

Looks - This one was black, which is obviously a lot more subtle than Chrome Orange, but in a good way. I can see the attraction. Black suits it very well. Orange can be a bit 'stand out' at times! No major differences on the outside apart from the painted calipers, bigger diffuser, and oval exhaust. None which is describe as better, just different. Looks nice

Interior - no arguing here, the new interior is nicer. The extra, softer leather and coloured stitching make it feel like a nice place to be, feels quality. This is obviously getting compared to a 2 year old, 10k car but it's definately better/nicer. The steering wheel is thicker, and still lovely to hold. The head unit is 10x better. Looks better, more upmarket. Heated seats are a big plus point for me aswell. Armrest was nice, if a little low but I presume this can be adjusted

Sound - upon start up, it's definately louder. Not earache loud, but it's also got a nicer tone. Sports button then opens the exhaust flaps and it's louder yet. I like it.

Drive - Started off the first few miles in 'Drive' mode which lets the car do all the work. Let the car warm up and start to push on a bit. The MY12 is very refined. Much the same as the NA, I could quite happily eat away miles in it no problem. Pulling the paddles back changes the GB into 'Manual' which will then only change up at the limiter, or down before stalling. I also like that. Changes are not quite GT-R quick, but quick enough.

Into 'Sport' mode (which I've always got on in mine) and there is a noticeable change in character. The GB tends to hold a lower gear and it's significantly sharper in throttle and gear changes. Nice blips on the downchanges but as with all auto boxes, I'd feel a bit daft doing this through towns, villages etc.. Sounds great when pushing on though :D The performance is also effortless. The box definately helps. It reminded me of the GT-R in a way, not nearly as quick, but absolutely quick enough and it picks up speed at quite an alarmly easy rate.

Gearbox - the IPS definately makes the Evora feel quicker, and after 10 miles or so I really started to enjoy it, which I wasnt expecting. The Evora is a great compromise car IMO - sedate enough and comfy for long distance, yet feels right at home on track, or on a back road blast. The IPS takes this a step further for me, auto mode makes it a very relaxing cruiser, and the paddles add to the drama. Does it detract from involvement? I think it does, it could be a very lazy man car to drive, but I'm still trying to decide if that's a bad thing or not.

Couple of minor negatives on the GB for me would be having to press 'D' to revert to Auto from Manual. Many will prefer this, but it's not very intuitive. I also found out of slow corners the box would kick down when not really necessary. Maybe something is get used to, or maybe it was my driving!

Overall Thoughts - Fantastic car. Absolutely superb. But then so is the 2010 NA IMO. Had the demonstrator been a roadster I would have been talking numbers.

Is it worth another 30k over the standard Evora? I'm not convinced. One thing for sure, it's a better car but it's highlighted just how good the standard Evora is. Forid 30's I think it's a cracking car. A bit more power would have been nice, an extra 50bhp maybe just to make it properly quick.

I'm tempted. I'd like to try the V6 Exige and R8 before deciding, and Brandon the salesman said it would be worthwhile doing so.
Your comment: The steering wheel is thicker, and still lovely to hold.
I just purchased and installed a 2012/13 steering wheel in my NA-MY11. It is a direct replacement and makes the steering better and more spot on. Best upgrade so far and less costly than rewrap of my old set-up. The only pieces you transfer over are the air-bag & the metal trim piece that covers the 3 spokes. Installed it on Friday and love the difference. :D

·
Registered
653 Posts
We have one at John eagle in Austin! It's white with tan interior.. I didn't get drive it, but I did drive the S in a manual.. Ah if only lotus built the evora S with th gte body kit.. I would have the perfect daily driver!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just purchased and installed a 2012/13 steering wheel in my NA-MY11. It is a direct replacement and makes the steering better and more spot on. Best upgrade so far and less costly than rewrap of my old set-up. The only pieces you transfer over are the air-bag & the metal trim piece that covers the 3 spokes. Installed it on Friday and love the difference. :D

The 12 steering wheel is on my short list of to-do items, it isn't an expensive part. I'm going to have it re-wrapped anyways as I need to have my seat bolsters replaced so I'll just have it all done at the same time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Interesting! Never realised that could be done. Any pics?!

What price was it?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
About 300 €. Part number is A132V0378F

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Interesting. I got a quote from Lotus today and it was £475 fitted, but it sounds like that included the metal plate aswell.

Is the MY12 suede/alcantara? I actually cant remember

1 - 20 of 24 Posts