The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I replaced all my spark plugs 2 months ago with oem and replaced all ignition coils 4 days ago and am still getting code 1301 misfire causing emissions increase.
The head is MWR and was installed last summer along with new oem camshafts.
Clyinder #1 is not firing I believe because it sounds like the motors running on 3 cylinders. Fuel is spurting out the exhaust pipe too and the smell is raw fuel. I ran my finger in a puddle of fuel inside the exhaust pipe.

What is the problem. Could the spark plug in cylinder #1 be fouled so bad it's not firing?
I checked the wiring and its all good. I did not add dielectric grease to the new coils yet, but that can't be the issue. I am at an impasse.
Any ideas? Code 1301 began showing due to ignition coil #1 being loose and severing a wire.
I replaced the connector and the wires are right. Triple checked...etc.
-Robert

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Garunteed electrical connector on injector or plug coil. Get a multitester and check resistance on the coil and injector. Pm me and i will talk you throgh it. You have avf2 right? The connectiins on the injectors have to be tight. Tommy

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never done anything to the injectors since they were installed by Jermaine at Vision Function in MD. If fuel is entering the cylinder, then the injector is working properly right? The VF2's been installed since March 2009.

The coil is brand new as is the spark plug. I can pull the plug. I don't
have access to my multimeter right now, but I have used it a few times.

Do I test the injector while the engine is running or will the ignition on position and fuel pump primed be sufficient? Is the injector difficult to change?
I will also remove the injector harness and clean it with that electrical spray stuff...is this the best way to clean the harness?
-Rob

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
There should be infinate resistance in each of the wires on the injector couplers. Engine can be off. For the plugs put one in the coil and gound the side and crank motor. If it sparks then good. Btw use rubber gloves or you will be shocked. Put old plug in and test. Check for bent pin in connectors. This happened to my buddies car with bwr s/c it was the connectir for r/c injector. You can try the old coil as well.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Check routgting for ignition coils as the plug cover can pinch one of the wires usually the green one.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Heck, I say drill and tap a hole in the exhaust tip at the back of the car and install a spark plug hooked to a coil and awitch back there. Then get personalized plates that say "BK OFF"
Seriously, I waited until you got great advice and direction and it sounds like somethning relatively simple before I posted. Good luck.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow

There should be infinate resistance in each of the wires on the injector couplers. Engine can be off. For the plugs put one in the coil and gound the side and crank motor. If it sparks then good. Btw use rubber gloves or you will be shocked. Put old plug in and test. Check for bent pin in connectors. This happened to my buddies car with bwr s/c it was the connectir for r/c injector. You can try the old coil as well.

How do I "ground the side"?
Is the black wire the ground?

Great advice! I hope this works because I need to drive to the shop (1 hour away) to have a Titan quikrack installed>>>my stock one is a POS. (the play is atrocious)
-Robert

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Where is the "ECU driver" for coil #1 (cylinder #1) and if it's bad
is this my problem with not receiving spark to cylinder #1's coil.
Does this sound like a likely scenario?

I heard the ECU driver may be the culprit.
Can the injector driver for coil #1 be replaced individually?
The service manual says, " If an injector goes short circuit it is likely that the ECU injector driver will be damaged." (page 21, Engine
Management)
-Robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts