The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
If I had garage room, maybe. I bet the cost could easily be recouped and then some by parting out.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
..gotta wonder how it ended up in LA from a Texas flood?
but sure looks like a reasonable price for a project car without frame damage.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Or a good start for a purpose built track car. Replace the stuff that is probably suspect (wiring loom, drivetrain, ECU, dash).

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Wondered that as well. I remember seeing a flood damaged M100 for sale in New Hampshire or Massachusetts,shortly after tropical storm Allison-car had Texas tags in the windshield.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Rebuilding is certainly possible. In Germany several years ago, I bought a flood damaged 1995 Mustang GT for $800. After a complete teardown, I finally got the thing running. I spent about $4k replacing damaged parts. After that I drove the car for several years before selling it.

If I had the time and cash, I'd consider the Elise on this posting. It's definitely doable and it would make a great track car (presuming there is only flood damage).

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A lot of the cars were scattered all over the place. I looked at a few of the Ferrari's that were anywhere from Seattle to NY. They were also listed as "Texas Street Flood". Guess no one in Texas bothers to move their cars when the water starts to rise?! (Either that or they want to use their Gap insurance to get out from under the cars?)

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Interesting site. I've been getting a lot of buyers with 360 Spiders lately. Their cars are worth less than the damaged cars are asking for on the site. Wonder what they are smoking. They need to pass it around.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
now would be a good time to have $13K liquid in my acct...great find!!!

i wishhhhhhh....this would make such a great start point for a purpose built track car!!!!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It would still be a lot of work but if one had the room and time you might be able to make a little on it. Turning it into a track monster would make the most sense. Nice thing about these is that there is a lot less carpeting, leather, and electronic gadgets to replace verses an average car making it a lot more feasible to repair than a Porsche for instance regarding flood damage.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Interesting site. I've been getting a lot of buyers with 360 Spiders lately. Their cars are worth less than the damaged cars are asking for on the site. Wonder what they are smoking. They need to pass it around.
+1.
On the same site there is also a damaged McLaren F1 GTR looking to someone make an offer.
Anybody..?:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Guys. That website is BS. I registered years ago. http://www.readytofix.com and still havent been able to get a hold of anyone to buy any cars. At one point they had a Nissan Skyline R33. I started calling them and emailing.. Next thing you know they had a Sold sign on it. Same thing with a couple of Supras.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Or a good start for a purpose built track car. Replace the stuff that is probably suspect (wiring loom, drivetrain, ECU, dash).
Maybe this is the project that I need to get into for this coming spring.:rolleyes:

- What amount of $ do you estimate for parts replacement?
- Swap the engine or rebuilt it?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
+1.
On the same site there is also a damaged McLaren F1 GTR looking to someone make an offer.
Anybody..?:popcorn:
I have actually asked about it. Waiting on a response...

On another note, there are a couple other cars I am interested in knowing some things about. For instance, the Red 911 Turbo. A lot, almost all, of the flood damaged ones, wont start. Why is this? I am thinking it could be a battery issue and other issues. Just how hard would it be to get a flood damaged car back up on its feet. Someone mentioned a Mustang they did. Well done :up:. But this could be a little different. I dont know. I would look into it if I knew what I was getting into and with a car with a history like this, its a big gamble...

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I have actually asked about it. Waiting on a response...

On another note, there are a couple other cars I am interested in knowing some things about. For instance, the Red 911 Turbo. A lot, almost all, of the flood damaged ones, wont start. Why is this? I am thinking it could be a battery issue and other issues. Just how hard would it be to get a flood damaged car back up on its feet. Someone mentioned a Mustang they did. Well done :up:. But this could be a little different. I dont know. I would look into it if I knew what I was getting into and with a car with a history like this, its a big gamble...
In all likelihood, any modern flood salvaged car's CPU/ECU will be fried. Even with the car turned 'off,' all modern cars still are using small amounts of battery to monitor something -- usually a security unit. If there is any electricity flowing through a circuit board and water pours over it, the chips will be fried. Even if you could be sure no electrical units were being used during the flood, there are typically enough mineral deposits in water that once the water dries, they create a bridge connection between some circuits and will fry critical systems once electricity is applied.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Did you guys miss my post? I was browsing this site in 2003. They just pull different pictures from different auto auctions, get you to join and pay the membership fee.. and then you get nothing.. Maybe they will give you an email address that no one ever replies to..

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you guys miss my post? I was browsing this site in 2003. They just pull different pictures from different auto auctions, get you to join and pay the membership fee.. and then you get nothing.. Maybe they will give you an email address that no one ever replies to..
Cant' hear you! La la la la la. :rolleyes:

Just kidding. I see your post now. Thanks for the heads up. :wave:

·
Inactive
831 Posts
Do a search for "readytofix.com scam" or "autosource.biz scam" or "car-auction.com scam" - there're many sites willing to take your money.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
>>Guess no one in Texas bothers to move their cars when the water starts to rise?!

If you lived in Texas,(especially Houston) you would know why. Floods will occur at a moments notice with no warning whatsoever. And Houston,being perfectly flat,if you are on the road and don't have access to a parking garage,there is no place to park the car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts