The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still consider myself a Lotus noob but wanted to share my last year and couple of months experience.

I’m the proud owner of a 2005 Elise. I found it one day while I was on the couch, sick as hell, car shopping. My only problem with finding a good deal on the Elise… It was 1200 miles away in ND. After prowling around on a couple of Lotus forums, my grand summary was that my ride back was going to suck. All I read about was how bad of a ride they were, how bad the seats suck and that someone would need to be insane to drive one cross country and would need a chiropractor afterwards. Me being me, I justified it with the fact that I have driven a built Suzuki 4x4 across the US more than once and there is no way it could ride worse than that. Needless to say, that Friday at noon, I had the paperwork signed, keys in hand and ready for my trip home.

My 1200 trip turned into a 1400 mile trip including a couple hours on a private track to see what she could do. This trip took me 33 hours, with a quick stop for a nap at a hotel in the middle of nowhere. Even after that much time in the seat (I was traveling solo) I did not get the complaints about the ride. The seats are firm to say the least, but your butt does not go numb any quicker than most average seats. The restricted movement did bug me a little until I realized with a quick repositioning of the seat I could straighten or bend my legs to readjust. The biggest surprise was the ride. Yea, it’s rough around town at speeds below 45, but when you get it out on the interstate it’s a true dream! Smooth ride, quick steering, great passing pick up and the biggest attention whore I have ever driven.

Since then my Elise has basically been my daily driver, weekend corner carver and even vacation ride. It has taken me to work, to the grocery, to NC to play on the Dragons Tail (3 times), to Memphis for some track time (3 times), the beach, camping, kayaking and along every back road I could find along the way. My FZ-6, 1980 Corvette and my Suburban have been sitting, only being used as loaners, trips to Lowes or to run them to keep the battery charged.

Even 14 months and 22,500 miles into it, I still don’t get those that say you don’t want to use this as a daily driver. It can haul a loaded down grocery cart full of grocery’s and beer, It can haul enough camping gear in the trunk for a weekend stay in the mountains, it can dance through traffic like no other car I have driven and do it all while envious on lookers stare, take pictures, ask you questions and even ask for rides. And for you single guys out there, YES, you will meet MANY ladies driving this car and if you can play the game it will even get you laid.

I think the best part of it is the dependability. My only issue with the car was self-inflicted (and still not fixed) when I ran through some deep water during a heavy down pour and my AC blower quit. Seeing that we have had great weather since then, the repair has been put on the back burner till I’m forced to park her for a weekend.

This car continues to thrill me each and every time I get behind the wheel. I have no regrets about joining the world of Lotus and believe I will be here for a LONG time…..

Zig

I almost forgot. My #1 lesson learned: DO NOT SKIMP ON TIRES!!!!! I replaced my Yoko’s with a cheaper tire that was highly recommended by a tire shop, at half the price and better mileage. After eating up two sets of Yoko’s on a year I decided to give them a try. They do ride decent and I’m getting good mileage out of them but my traction was reduced MUCH more than I thought it would. Even under acceleration I can tell a difference so you know the cornering is crap compared to the Yoko’s.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I still consider myself a Lotus noob but wanted to share my last year and couple of months experience.

I’m the proud owner of a 2005 Elise. I found it one day while I was on the couch, sick as hell, car shopping. My only problem with finding a good deal on the Elise… It was 1200 miles away in ND. After prowling around on a couple of Lotus forums, my grand summary was that my ride back was going to suck. All I read about was how bad of a ride they were, how bad the seats suck and that someone would need to be insane to drive one cross country and would need a chiropractor afterwards. Me being me, I justified it with the fact that I have driven a built Suzuki 4x4 across the US more than once and there is no way it could ride worse than that. Needless to say, that Friday at noon, I had the paperwork signed, keys in hand and ready for my trip home.

My 1200 trip turned into a 1400 mile trip including a couple hours on a private track to see what she could do. This trip took me 33 hours, with a quick stop for a nap at a hotel in the middle of nowhere. Even after that much time in the seat (I was traveling solo) I did not get the complaints about the ride. The seats are firm to say the least, but your butt does not go numb any quicker than most average seats. The restricted movement did bug me a little until I realized with a quick repositioning of the seat I could straighten or bend my legs to readjust. The biggest surprise was the ride. Yea, it’s rough around town at speeds below 45, but when you get it out on the interstate it’s a true dream! Smooth ride, quick steering, great passing pick up and the biggest attention whore I have ever driven.

Since then my Elise has basically been my daily driver, weekend corner carver and even vacation ride. It has taken me to work, to the grocery, to NC to play on the Dragons Tail (3 times), to Memphis for some track time (3 times), the beach, camping, kayaking and along every back road I could find along the way. My FZ-6, 1980 Corvette and my Suburban have been sitting, only being used as loaners, trips to Lowes or to run them to keep the battery charged.

Even 14 months and 22,500 miles into it, I still don’t get those that say you don’t want to use this as a daily driver. It can haul a loaded down grocery cart full of grocery’s and beer, It can haul enough camping gear in the trunk for a weekend stay in the mountains, it can dance through traffic like no other car I have driven and do it all while envious on lookers stare, take pictures, ask you questions and even ask for rides. And for you single guys out there, YES, you will meet MANY ladies driving this car and if you can play the game it will even get you laid.

I think the best part of it is the dependability. My only issue with the car was self-inflicted (and still not fixed) when I ran through some deep water during a heavy down pour and my AC blower quit. Seeing that we have had great weather since then, the repair has been put on the back burner till I’m forced to park her for a weekend.

This car continues to thrill me each and every time I get behind the wheel. I have no regrets about joining the world of Lotus and believe I will be here for a LONG time…..

Zig

I almost forgot. My #1 lesson learned: DO NOT SKIMP ON TIRES!!!!! I replaced my Yoko’s with a cheaper tire that was highly recommended by a tire shop, at half the price and better mileage. After eating up two sets of Yoko’s on a year I decided to give them a try. They do ride decent and I’m getting good mileage out of them but my traction was reduced MUCH more than I thought it would. Even under acceleration I can tell a difference so you know the cornering is crap compared to the Yoko’s.
Amen. I daily mine and currently on track for 17k miles in 12 months.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'm with you, when I had a commute I daily drove my 2005 Elise and I don't get the negative comments about the seat comfort or ride either. My wife has been a passenger on all-day mountain drives and doesn't complain.

I went with Dunlop Star Spec tires in a wider size when I bought new wheels and find them to be a bit better than the Yokos they replaced for street driving and enthusiastic weekends in the mountains.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Thanks for posting.

I'm a daily driver guy too. I have 60,000 km on my 2009 Elise after 3 years.

The only real negatives in my mind are:

- I'm reluctant to park it in public lots and I never parallel park.
- There is not much room in the car.

But all the rest is fun. My work has underground parking so I'm OK there.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
I have also heard a lot of complaints about being uncomfortable but disagree. Possibly the Nitrons make a difference but I enjoy the ride. I just dont see what the complaints are about.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I drove mine 900 miles home, from Kansas City to Detroit. Stopped over-night in St Louis. My only complaint was that my right heel was on fire due to the shoes I was wearing. My heel resting on the same part for 12 hours nearly gave me a sore. I was trying to reposition the shoe/foot but no real help came. I do think that if I had regular tennis shoes that I would have been better but was wearing adidas driving/racing shoes. I also did hit a bump or two on some freeway over-passes that made the car jump and skip around, felt like I got air a few times which was not pleasing

·
Registered
935 Posts
I think most of the complaints come from the fact the seats either fit a person or they don't. On bumpy roads it just amplifies that fact.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put another 1000 on the Elise last week. Work travel along with a weekender with a friend in Memphis. Kristin was immediately dreading a 3.5 hour trip in the seats and did not believe me when I said all her damn luggage would fit in the trunk.... But it did, she enjoyed the trip, loved her first time around a track and first time to go over 130 :cool: Now she is sitting in the work parking lot in dire need of a good detailing...

Zig

·
Registered
80 Posts
Zig glad to see another DD'r here and in Tennessee at that! I've put 22,000 miles in 14 months and even got a track day in there!.

My wife got to ride 12-13 hours home from North Carolina when I got it, she had one of her luggage bags under her legs in the passenger floor because it wouldn't fit in the trunk. I told her to pack light lol!

·
Less is Better
2,626 Posts
I put another 1000 on the Elise last week. Work travel along with a weekender with a friend in Memphis. Kristin was immediately dreading a 3.5 hour trip in the seats and did not believe me when I said all her damn luggage would fit in the trunk.... But it did, she enjoyed the trip, loved her first time around a track and first time to go over 130 :cool: Now she is sitting in the work parking lot in dire need of a good detailing...

Zig
You left Kristin in a parking lot in need of "detailing"? What kind of friend are you?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Zuki - nice post.
Star specs are recommended by the only tire shop that knows what they are talking about - Lotus Talk. I have a brand new, unused set of Yoka's mounted on an extra set of wheels that i never use because of the Spec's street performance. I DD mine in the summer, in NH you are better off in a truck in the winter (long winter). Even so, i think i get 12k miles/year on the 2005 beast. Not looking forward to putting her away this year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts