The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The spokes of the 15x7 +28 CE28Ns are very close to the calipers. Has any of the owners running the 15x7 CE28Ns noticed any rubbing of the calipers by the wheels? Or is this not a problem?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you consider to be "very close"?
Thanks for the feedback! "Very close" is whatever the clearance is between the stock caliper and the CE28Ns. Apologies for not getting numbers, but from a visual inspection they do look close.

The reason I ask is Eric from Suspension Performance told me that the caliper to spoke clearance is below spec and suggested 2mm spacers for additional clearance to prevent contact from deflection. I've not had an issue with contact between the wheels and the calipers, but I decided to see if there is any recorded instance of contact in the community since I haven't had a lot of track miles in my Lotus.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! "Very close" is whatever the clearance is between the stock caliper and the CE28Ns. Apologies for not getting numbers, but from a visual inspection they do look close.

The reason I ask is Eric from Suspension Performance told me that the caliper to spoke clearance is below spec and suggested 2mm spacers for additional clearance to prevent contact from deflection. I've not had an issue with contact between the wheels and the calipers, but I decided to see if there is any recorded instance of contact in the community since I haven't had a lot of track miles in my Lotus.
Now that rang a bell. I just went out to the garage and checked... I'm using 3mm spacers on the front wheels... but to be honest I don't remember whether that was for caliper spacing or tire clearance. I use 5mm spacers on the rear purely for tire clearance, not caliper clearance. Sorry for the confusion.

Eric's a great resource and a good guy... I spent a bunch of time chatting with him between sessions at the Lotus Cup USA event last weekend.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. You're the first person I know who runs spacers on the CE28Ns. I'm sure for street it's not a problem, but my car will see a decent amount of track miles. Of course, your cars generate a lot more grip than what mine probably ever will as I plan to run street tires forever.

·
He's on fire!
3,412 Posts
oh now this is an interesting thread! Can you please, please PM me your source for hubcentric spacers, I'd love to get some 2mm, 3mm or 5mm ones for my CE28N (or are you planning to run hubcentric ring + spacer)?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm trying to figure out whether I even want spacers. I have a set of hubcentric rings from Rays, but they need to be slightly machined to fit.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I've been running the hub-centric rings with regular Lotus-specific spacers at the front, and custom machined spacers with a hub-centric flange for the CE28N machined in at the rear.

·
Inactive
831 Posts
I don't use any spacers on mine and they have never touched in the last 6 years. There is only about 2-3mm clearance, but for the spoke to touch the caliper something needs to bend a lot. There is not much load on the fronts.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did a bit of crude measurement over the weekend and it seems like the spoke to caliper clearance of the 15x7 CE28Ns is at least 1.5mm. This is without spacers. It's a little bit tighter than the 2mm minimum that is the prevailing internet wisdom, but still seems sufficient.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts