The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do 15" front wheels clear the AP 4-pot calipers? If yes, then what brands/widths/offsets work? It seems that I really need a set of wheels/tires for street usage and a second set of wheels/tires for track usage. The potential weight and cost savings of the 15/16 setup is enticing, so some good info would be appreciated.

Bob

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone have an answer? I certainly would appreciate some info.

Bob

·
Registered
803 Posts
No, 15 inch wheels do not fit the AP brakes

I have tried the 15 inch Rotas and they did not clear the caliper on the AP brakes. This was tried on my 2008 Exige S 240. They were not close so I expect no wheels will fit although I have not tried any others.

This is truly sad. I was very impressed with the handling on my Elise with 15 / 16 inch rims. I am very unhappy with the brakes (see other posts of mine) and the handling of my Exige with 16 / 17 inch rims.

Ohlins go on this week. Maybe I will change my mind then...

Michael

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
you've got more problems with the rear parking brake cables rubbing.. be sure to zip tie those back

·
Registered
466 Posts
The minimum wheel clearance is a 16' inch front wheel for the Lotus Sport AP BBK.

And 16/17 is a better combination than 15/16. Proper forged wheels will give you the weight savings required.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Assuming the proper tires and rim sizes were available, 15's would be the ideal combination all around, and a properly forged 15/16 will still weigh all the more less than a properly forged 16/17 comparable rims. I'm not saying there is an appropriate all 15" or 15/16 set of tires and wheels, but i am saying that fundamentally (it's physics) it should be better. Look at any true over the top race car from F1, nascar, to dragsters and they all the smallest rim that'll fit on the brakes. LOTS of sidewall.

I think some of the creative brake cooling options that some people have done here are a more elegant solution (although i'm not a brand guy, it's a very "lotus" idea. Instead of adding bigger brakes, add more cooling... which will likely weigh less and enable other performance features like smaller rims. The problem isn't the brakes ability to stop the car, it's their ability to disipate heat. Treat the problem not the symptom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts