The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most sources that I can find state that regardless of tread status, tires should be replaced within ten years of the born-on date. My '05 Elise with just under 10K miles has its original Yokohama ADVAN AD07 tires that are dated 03/2005. The sidewalls look fine, the tires hold air, they are still balanced.

Should I replace them anyway?

·
Registered
267 Posts
There is no way in the world I'd drive on 15 year old tires on a car as precious as a Lotus Elise. No way at all. It cost $7,000 to repair nothing more than a scratch on my clam shell. How much damage from a burst tire?

New tires are far cheaper than repairing a Lotus.

Why even have the car if you are not going to drive it as it was meant to be?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I replace at 6-8 years on all my cars regardless of look or tread life. I could see going longer on a Toyota Camry for running errands while driving gently, but not on a performance car or even a fun car like a Miata.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Replace them. The most common age related failures are belt separation or sidewall separations that result in a blowout at speed. If you don't lose control the flailing rubber will tear up your inner fender wells at a minimum and likely bodywork.

·
Vendor
3,163 Posts
No. Seriously. This isn't a question.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Most sources that I can find state that regardless of tread status, tires should be replaced within ten years of the born-on date. My '05 Elise with just under 10K miles has its original Yokohama ADVAN AD07 tires that are dated 03/2005. The sidewalls look fine, the tires hold air, they are still balanced.

Should I replace them anyway?
yes sir!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yeah this isn't even up for debate....replace ASAP.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Very unsafe, I wouldn't drive anywhere other than to a place for new tires. Over time the material breaks down. I have heard if you store tires in a sealed bag with charcoal that they can be stored for long periods of time.... never tried it though.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
From the NHTSA

As tires age, they are more prone to failure. Some vehicle and tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires that are six to 10 years old, regardless of treadwear. You can determine how old your tire is by looking on the sidewall for your DOT Tire Identification Number (TIN) . The last four digits of the TIN indicate the week and year the tire was made. If the TIN reads 0308 it was made in the third week of 2008. Look on both sides of the tire. The TIN may not be on both sides.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any reason to buy other than the OEM tires? I have a good quote from Discount Tires for them (after showing them Tire Rack's price), and I am thinking of taking the wheels off the car rather than taking the car to them because of the horror series about idiots with lifts.

·
473 Posts
Search on the tire posts there are many. It will depend on what you want to do with the car and location. Re-71, R888R are great picks but once again research all the tire posts before you commit.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
43 Posts
Contrary to what I read or was told by Tire Rack ( I contacted them via email), Yokohama (I contacted by phone, and lack of AD07s on website), Eliseparts.com, and threads on this site have indicated, the AD07 in base Elise sizes and LTS2 spec were not discontinued in 2018. I just got a set from Tire Rack with 2019 date code on the fronts and 2020 date code on the rears. I also reached out to Lotus USA and they forwarded me info from a tire wholesaler confirming that Yokohama discontinued most of the AD07 line, but are still making the 175/55/R16-LTS2 and 225/45/R17-LTS2.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any reason to buy other than the OEM tires? I have a good quote from Discount Tires for them (after showing them Tire Rack's price), and I am thinking of taking the wheels off the car rather than taking the car to them because of the horror series about idiots with lifts.
I just needed more tire up front! Too much understeer with the 175s. I realize that this is a non-issue for drivers who don't push their cars that hard. I do like the look of the stock wheels, though...they're all cleaned up and put in a safe place should the next conservator of my car want to revert to stock.

Mine came with the original ADO7s with a 2004 date code (!), and they were quite noisy. I find the the RE-71Rs I have on the car are noticeably quieter, ride better and the grip is amazing. Everything's relative as we all know the Elise is a pretty loud car overall.

·
Administrator
Exige S260
1,962 Posts
I just needed more tire up front! Too much understeer with the 175s. I realize that this is a non-issue for drivers who don't push their cars that hard. I do like the look of the stock wheels, though...they're all cleaned up and put in a safe place should the next conservator of my car want to revert to stock.

Mine came with the original ADO7s with a 2004 date code (!), and they were quite noisy. I find the the RE-71Rs I have on the car are noticeably quieter, ride better and the grip is amazing. Everything's relative as we all know the Elise is a pretty loud car overall.
RE 71 amazing tire, I second that.

OP... please buy new tires........

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
RE71s are a great tire. Running them myself.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts