The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
+1 for taking the rims in for new tires and leaving the car at home. More work on your part but the peace of mind is worth it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Replacing your tires is a no brainer. If you can splurge a bit more, choose michelin tires. Great traction in the dry, even in wet conditions. Handling and cornering are good also.

·
Premium Member
11,718 Posts
@millorn You shouldn't make a statement such as the above. Every mfgr makes a lot of different tires for differing applications.

Ergo, one could buy the wrong (i.e. bad) Michelins.

So, OP should check with Tire Rack and their recommendations for the type of driving he does.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I ended up with new AD07s. It seems I should have done this long ago. The new tread is noticeably better, the old tires were probably a bit out of balance, and when I got them off the car, I found a nail in one (but either not leaking or doing so very slowly). The ride is like I remember it is supposed to be, and quieter than the old ones for some reason. Thanks for all the help.

·
Super Moderator
756 Posts
Are you bringing wheels to them or the car? If the car make sure you show them the proper jack points and maybe oversee them jacking it. Most places are clueless on proper jacking for the Lotus chassis. You'll enjoy your new tires.

·
Premium Member
11,718 Posts
Strappe seems to have already got the new tires on.

@Strappe, you were lucky an accident didn't occur. You now know that 5 yrs is limit for most of us.

Paul Walker was in a Porsche Carrera GT with old tires and died in that crash.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,022 Posts
OP if I were you, I would dismount the tires and bring them to the tire shop, and mount them back yourself, so there is no chance that anyone could damage your car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
OP if I were you, I would dismount the tires and bring them to the tire shop, and mount them back yourself, so there is no chance that anyone could damage your car.
Hmmm... I don't have the equipment to do that, nor do I want to own it. The shop did a fine job and the tires are now well balanced. No damage to the wheels, and they mounted them all correctly!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,478 Posts
I use a local shop that has a great rating from Tire Rack. They've done my custom C6 Corvette wheels (previous car), my Monolites etc. They're not even expensive, but do great work. Tire Rack installation shops are a good resource IMHO.

San

21 - 29 of 29 Posts