The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
This is my first post here so I am sorry if some of this information has already been covered.

I have been wanting an Elise for a long time now, but could not afford one. Now I might be getting a job that is 75 miles away 150 round tip. This job would pay enough for me to get one, but I am wondering how an Elise would do doing this drive 5 times a week.

I am not very conserned with the ride of the car. I know it is rougher that most like, but I like being thrown around.

I am conserned about reliabllity and gas mileage. About 1/3 of this commute would be stop and go driving but 55. The other 2/3s would be 75 mph interstate. I have seen the gas mileage that the EPA says it gets, but it seems like it should be higher. I was really disappointed that about the most you can get out of any car is 40mpg hwy.

Do you think that this car could handle the miles and get better than the predicted 20 some mpg?

The reason tht I did not post this in the Elise forum is becasue I am considering an evora also, but it does not get as good mpg. I would like comments on the evora also.

Thank you. I know the the best way to get real information is ask the owners.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
The Evora is definitely comfortable enough for a commute like that. I get about 23 mpg in mixed driving. Reliability is a different issue. There are numerous threads in the Evora forum related to warranty work, dealer proximity, and the ability to do your own repairs. Suggest you read over there and make up your own mind.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Get your elise, and a $1000 nissan sentra for daily driving. It will be a waste to put miles on a elise just to goto work. And your paint job will be totally destroyed in about a month of highway driving. Lotus water based paint chips when you sneeze on it. You cant talk on the phone in a elige because of the noise, and the ac is pathetic

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It's crazy out there. People are on their devices, unaware, and plenty of dim bulbs as well. Police seem to be on a frenzy. I see em everywhere, and they will see you. Can't see over traffic (but sometimes under it!), you'd often be at the mercy of the general public, in the US :(

And would be a shame to put the brave little lass to such duty. Would she spend days out in the elements?

I drive a truck DD.

·
Registered
480 Posts
That is crazy.150 each day... I cant bare that all. You will be filling up like 4 times a week. tsk.... tsk... But its YOUR car do whatever you want. Know one can tell you what to do.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
An Elise would make the drive fun, but I assure you that the drive will get old fast in ANY vehicle. I commuted like that for several jobs and gave them up because of the commute. I would look at something closer or to move closer to the job if it is your dream job. Sorry for the news but it will soon become the reality of the situation and can cause the effect of hating going to work after a while.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Listen if you had plenty of disposable income, I couldn't care less what you do...but given your circumstances, your plan makes no sense.

I'm just trying to straightened you out. Don't be an idiot--If you REALLY want this car, first get yourself a beater/econobox for that long commute. Then save up and get the car when you can actually afford it.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
of your 75 mile commute,. the 50 hwy miles would be enjoyable, and you would likely do better than 20mpg. (even in city driving you'd likely do better if you didn't open up)
tho with no curves involved it might get boring after awhile.

But 25 miles in stop and go traffic is something to be concerned about.
for me, I can't quite tolerate driving my Elise in stop-go situations, it's like a feral cat wanting to bolt at any opportunity. Not being able to do so is downright frustrating.

they tell us garage-queen owners that these cars are meant to be driven
..but I think the inverse is true and it'd be a travesty to wear one down on such a commute.

pick up a new econobox with an automatic transmission and you'd probably save enough money in gas to pay for monthly payments.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Where do you live?

Weather will be a big issue.

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
My suggestion?

1) Take all these opinions with at HUGE grain of salt (including mine). Some guys on this forum baby their cars and some guys drive them daily. My observation is that most guys don’t really drive their cars so you’ll get more negative comments than positive ones when you talk about actually using a Lotus as a ‘car’. :rolleyes:

2) Make your own decision and go with it unless you find a Lotus owner who has similar views as you do.

If you like being thrown around, and a rough ride is not a problem then that’s a plus. (I’m the same way and I love the ‘race car’ feel.) :up:

Me?
I’ve been daily driving my car in all weather with A048’s for 4 ½ years, and I generally drive them to the chords. (But I live in Cali) I put 30,000 miles on it the first year and am pushing 90,000 right now. Depending on where I’m working I’ve driven between 100 – 200 miles a day to work and back. And yes, sometimes I have to get gas every day …5 minutes …big deal. It’s all about what your priorities are …and it hasn’t gotten ‘old’ yet!! :coolnana:

I FRIGG’N LOVE my Lotus and don’t enjoy driving anything else. I love the rough ride and the driving characteristics of this car. I don’t care if I can’t hear the radio, talk on the phone or drive in a barco-lounger seat. That’s not how I roll. I think most other cars are numbing pieces of crap that I don’t want to be driving. I would rather be sitting in traffic in my Lotus than in an econo-box piece of mind-numbing mass-produced $hit that everyone else is driving. But that’s just me. :p

My experiences:
Maintenance / reliability isn’t a problem except for the usual stuff and the oil line problem that some owners have experienced. I generally get around 25 MPG driving very aggressively. I’ve gotten up to 35 MPG driving like an old lady during the initial break-in period. Even though my car has 90,000 miles on it I take care of it and it still looks pretty dang good.

If you are a good driver then don’t worry about other drivers. I love the added challenge of driving with other idiots because I have the advantage in the Lotus because of its handling characteristics. They are just ‘cones’ in my world. :evil:

- zen :D

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I drive 120 mile round trip, and I take the Exige 1-2 times a week. I also have other cars that I can take in case of weather or if I plan on doing something else or if I want a car that has an automatic and a good A/C (cause sometimes those are actually nice to have).

My car is modded to hell and the suspension is rough and the engine mounts stiff. But like you said, if its something you "enjoy" as I do then you'll love it.

When my car was stock I got 30MPG pretty easy (non-supercharger). Now I get about 25MPG. I usually put in 5 gallons every time I go to work. But of course some of that has to do with "as you add power you fill inclined to use it more often" :)

I would also suggest getting a supercharged car if you can (or investing in one). With the non-supercharged cars you will be downshifting alot in normal traffic and it gets old after a while. The supercharger let you stay in gear.

BTW, 2006 Exige with 66K miles.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If you are a good driver then don’t worry about other drivers. I love the added challenge of driving with other idiots because I have the advantage in the Lotus because of its handling characteristics. They are just ‘cones’ in my world. :evil:

- zen :D
Exactly my philosophy! I never use my horn. They are dynamic obstacles! :shift:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I dd mine a couple times a week, 100 mile drive. It gets decent fuel mileage, around 30 mpg. Only thing that I think would be nice us having cruise control.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I drive the hell out of my car (30K miles in 2.5 years).

A few notes:

- What do you wear to work? I ask because in dress shirt and slacks, you will look homeless by the time you get there. The engine heat and small stature will cause that. Honestly, I usually bring my stuff in a hanging bag and change in a hotel before meetings.
Dress loafers with size 12 shoes sucks too.

- Phone - sorry, but I'm in sales and am on the phone all the time. Phone in the Elise would suck. I don't mind it for a day here or a day there, but EVERY day?

- Weather - rain, snow, etc.

- AC issues

- No cruise control - might be needed on a long commute

There are days when I can't wait to drive my Elise. There are days (after say 3 in a row of driving the Elise on a hot day that I LOVE creature comforts).

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'd hate working a job that required dressing up! Dressing up for me is a non stained pair of jeans and a polo or plaid shirt.

I find the car to ride decent and fairly comfy. I have a very messed up back from a roofing accident too. I operate heavy equipment/trucks though... Guess maybe if I was going from a Caddilac to the Elise I'd think it was uncomfortable. My main dd is a Jetta lowered about 3" though, the Eluse has much clearance and better ride.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 120 mi/day commute in the Elise and have no complaints. But at the same time, my last cars were a Z4M coupe, and a Miata (no AC, no PS). I drive it during the rain, and am running BFG Comp 2's.

My opinion, do it!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts