The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks. I'm thinking of fabricating an external hookup for a battery charger so I can quickly connect a charger without running the charger wire into the boot. Why? In order to use the car alarm with out any warning beeps, the boot lid needs to be closed, and I don't want to force the boot lid closed against the charger wire.

The problem is, I'm using the OMAX-12A-1B Odyssey Ultimizer (smallest charger allowed for a PC925 battery). Normally I'd use the pigtail that came with my battery tender, however, it is rated only for 7.5A. I will need something along the lines of 15A for the Ultimizer. Can anyone recommend a weatherproof automotive power connecter that is compact, has some sort of cover, and is rated for 15A? I will need to be able to secure 14AWG wire to it (same gauge used on the Ultimizer)

I have a pretty trick (i.e., completely concealed) location in mind to mount the connector, I just need to source a good quality weatherproof connector.

I've shopped around various suppliers and have not yet found a good match for what I need.

Thanks for any help.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Just for your information, the opened trunk would be bypassed after turning on the alarm and there would be no continuous beeping.
Michael

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just for your information, the opened trunk would be bypassed after turning on the alarm and there would be no continuous beeping.
Michael
In my experience, after arming with the trunk open, it will still buzz for awhile, long enough to be annoying to me. If I can fabricate a hidden charger connector, that would be ideal, and the product mentioned above may do just that, and its very compact.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
I have a pretty trick (i.e., completely concealed) location in mind to mount the connector, I just need to source a good quality weatherproof connector.

Thanks for any help.
I found the easiest place to run a connector for a maintainer is out the driver's side intake. I just pull the conector out of the grille when needed and push it back in when I don't. It just hangs behind the grille when not in use and can't be seen unless you get your head next to the grille and look through it. The other option is the hole in the center rear of the clam, but for my use the side exit is better to not get tangled in the cord while walking past the rear of the car. Since my car is usually in my garage, I don't have a weatherproof connector and have not found it necessary, but depending on your conditions, a good connector may be necessary.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found the easiest place to run a connector for a maintainer is out the driver's side intake. I just pull the conector out of the grille when needed and push it back in when I don't. It just hangs behind the grille when not in use and can't be seen unless you get your head next to the grille and look through it. The other option is the hole in the center rear of the clam, but for my use the side exit is better to not get tangled in the cord while walking past the rear of the car. Since my car is usually in my garage, I don't have a weatherproof connector and have not found it necessary, but depending on your conditions, a good connector may be necessary.
I ended up doing exactly that:

I'm using sealed Delphi Metri-Pack 480-series connectors (Delphi Metri-Pack Connectors), very common in the auto industry. They can handle up to 42A assuming you are using a thick enough wire gauge. The pigtail routes from the boot, through an existing grommet, passed the damper to the air intake. When I'm not charging, I can plug in a sealed "cover" to protect the terminals from corrosion. The cover is the same as the male connector but the channels for the wires are sealed with plugs. The only downside to using these connectors is the terminals require a special tool to crimp, fortunately I have access to them at work.

BOM (Part numbers are Delphi part numbers)
12AWG primary wire
In-line fuse holder
15A fuse
soldering gear
heat shrink tube
plastic conduit for wiring
ring terminals
12052613 (1) - Female connector (use this on the pigtail side)
12052139 (2) - Female terminals for 12AWG pigtail wire
12065863 (2) - Male connector (use one on the charger-side, the other for a cover)
12065196 (2) - Male terminals for 14AWG wire on charger
15324989 (4) - Seal (red)
12059897 (2) - Connector lock (one for each connector)
12066082 (2) - Plug (for connector cover)

Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor is an excellent source, and one of the few that sell parts in small quantities.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Excellent, I need one of these as well since I relocated my battery. Thanks for the part numbers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts