The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any folks using a 15mm wheel spacer on the Esprit front wheels?
Anyone tracking their Esprit with such a combination?

Would like any feedback regarding the strength of using a longer lug bolt (43mm?) in such an application. Info on the web seems to indicate it is 'safe' if done properly (torqued to 75 ft lbs, not impact wrench, etc).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Background:

My 88 Esprit will be needing new rear tires and I want to move to 17" wheels. I also want to maintain the factory wheel offsets.

The OZ Novas are very rare and expensive - the rear wheel availability is near zero. I'm currently trying to find a total set of 4 front wheels (have 2 already).

The aftermarket solutions (Boze and ESM wheels) are at opposite ends of spectrum in price. I can get an ESM wheel to fit, but it would require a 15mm front wheel spacer that depends on an extended lug bolt to be strong.
The rear would use a 43mm wheel ADAPTER that I regard as being a strong solution (and less of an issue than the front since the wheels don't turn, adding more stress at different angles)

The Boze custom solution is a cake walk but pricier than I'd prefer.

· Registered
1,988 Posts

4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 15mm spacers on the front of my esprit. I don't track the car though.

I had the spacers made so that the spacer bolts to the hub....and the wheel is attached to the spacer via studs and nuts.
Ah - that's exactly what I want - I got a statement from one vendor that the thinnest they can make (that bolts to hub) is 20mm.

Could you please tell me who makes that type of 15mm adapter?

Thanks - Eddie

4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Might check these, they can do (you have to call or email) in 5 x 108 bolt patterns..

[snip]
Im considering the ES1's and are WAY lower cost than Boze
Thanks - ESM wheels say they can do 5x108 but they do it by drilling 5x100 wheel out to 5x108 and put metal inserts. Cosmetically, I could almost live with that, but the impact to potential wheel imbalance is a concern.

· Registered
182 Posts
I have a set of front spacers.... somewhere. I think I lent them to Gonzo, or Alan to test fit... when i thought they were rear spacers, but they told me they are for the front.

Ill see if any of those guys are using them... if not, Ill get them shipped to you for testing.

4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[snip].

Ill see if any of those guys are using them... if not, Ill get them shipped to you for testing.
Thanks for the offer, but I can't really test - just wondering if someone actually uses such a large spacer (I prefer an adapter that bolts to the hub, then allows the wheel to be bolt to IT).

A regular spacer is dependent on the extra 15mm length of the lug bolt - no additional thickness; only the metal hardness of the lug bolt. That is a concern to me if it will be strong enough to hold.

· Registered
182 Posts
Cool.. Well I dont know how big exactly the spacers are... but I did get ahold of the guy who has them and ill be getting them back this week.

I have used both types of spacers on different applications (mostly BMW, so same type of lugs). And believe it or not, I have had WORSE luck with the spacers that bolt onto the hub and have their own threads. You see they are aluminum pieces with steel threads pressed in... so the strength is only as good as the 'press' into the aluminum. The worst that happened to me is 3 of the 5 'thread inserts' loosened up after dropping a rear tire off the track, and re entering the surface at a bit of an angle. Nothing catastrophic.. but try loosening 3 lug bolts torqued to 80 ft/lbs when the inserts are spinning in the spacer!

4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Give this guy a call (775) 351 1000 Jr. I've done business with him for over 8 years. He is Honest and responsible. Ask for a full hubcentric wheel spacer.

JG
Thanks - I think I resolved the issue this way:

I'm going to use a 20mm wheel adapter - giving my proposed 38mm offset wheel an effective 18mm offset - this is 1mm off of the V8 wheel front wheel offsets.

While it may impact the wheels bearing service life (23mm vs. 18mm), given they are relatively inexpensive Toyota items, I can live with that.

So, this is my plan:

Front: 20mm 5x108 to 5x120 adapter, 17x8 ESM 004 wheel 38mm offset with 5x120 bolt pattern (effective offset 18mm (OEM is 23mm)

Rear: 45mm 5x108 to 5x120 adapter, 17x9 ESM 004 wheel 25mm offset with 5x120 bolt pattern (effective offset is still OEM -20mm/Citroen transmission)

Why 5x120 for the wheels? Because either way, I have to use adapters, so picked 5x120 as a more common bolt pattern if I decide to sell the wheels later (5x120 is a common BMW pattern).

And I'll mothball my OZ Nova front wheels for the day I locate enough for a full set.

Thanks for everyone's help. Now I have to screw around with tires/sizes :panic:

4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
British Racing Group has a single rear Nova for sale
Yes - I've contacted them. My biggest concern is how long it will take to find the remaining 4th wheel.

OZ Nova REAR wheels are so hard to find. My concern is having a 3 wheel set that takes years to complete.

At least the front wheels are still available new, but at $900+ each, a bit hard to swallow.

My rear OZ Ruote 15" tires have about 5K miles left on them (about 5 months). so having a 17" solution ready in time makes the OZ Novas high risk.

4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rear hub diameter on 88 Esprit - is it 60mm too?

Question: What is the hub diameter for the REAR of a 88 Esprit?

The pre S4 Esprits had 60mm hubcentric front hubs (58mm after S4).
But did the REAR hubs on the Citroen-equipped cars also have 60mm hubs?

I've always seen mention of the 60mm front hubs, but never the rear.

The adapters I will need has to specify the rear hub and I can't find the info (and too lazy to pull the rear wheel off if someone has the info handy :evil:)

4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
89-93 have 60mm rear hub spigot. Do not know about the Citroen transmission cars like 88 and before..
I just remembered a observation I made before - the 88 rear USA spec car had a unique wheel - 5x108, -20mm offset 15x8. It only fits THAT car, THAT year.

The 87 rear USA spec car (G Esprit -Citroen trans) is 5x120, -20mm offset 15x8 (? mm spigot)
The 89 up rear USA spec car (S Esprit- Renault trans) is 5x108, 30 mm offset 16x8 (60mm spigot)

So I guess I better pull a wheel and see if Lotus made the rear spigot different ONLY for 88. Bizarre :facepalm

· Integrator
3,249 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.