The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been written about before, could be something new is out there? Looking for a 16 foot enclosed car trailer. Something low, and light in weight. looked at; Montrose, Iron horse, Aero Vault. Nice trailers, is there something else out there? At present have an 20 foot 1999 Jimglo, fiberglass. At the time, checked all the boxes for me. Slopped nose, rounded corners, side comes off so you can really get into car. Torsion axles, pulls well and less than 3,000 pounds. The problem, just too large. Put an Elan in there and plenty of room front and rear. Able to walk around sides of car in trailer. Don't need that kind of room, so considering a 16 foot trailer. Is there anything else out there, Low, light, around 16 foot? Price, subjective to? Do not want to pay what the car is worth inside the trailer. Most of the time, trailer sits out in the sun waiting for me. And yes, have an open trailer also. Once again, curious what is out there. Thanks, Steve V.

·
Administrator
1,559 Posts
I've been considering getting an enclosed trailer so that I can forget about all the loading of the truck bed when away for a weekend at the track. I have a 12' open utility now that is the minimum to use. I found multiple companies in Ga that if you see one of their base models you like you add that to cart drop down a option list and configure away. I've considering 7x16 with escape door and winch finished interior or 8.5x18 that would give me more leeway in what I can load in there. So easy to pump a 4-5K trailer to 10-15K with options. Now if I could just make up my mind which size and then minimum options or get the way I want it considering I only have a few years in which I would be using it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Before I owned my Lotus, I had a Shelby Cobra replica. I had a 7x16 motorcycle trailer that worked perfectly for the Cobra. I had it custom built by Stealth Trailers with a ramp, reinforced floor, and escape door. Total with all the options was just over $5K, but that was about 10 years ago.

·
Administrator
1,559 Posts
Great looking trailer!

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I have a Featherlite 7x17' V-nose that I really like. Elan fits perfectly, but Elise is a very tight =1" per side clearance through the door. Frankly I like having a few feet of extra length so I can balance the load and make sure my tongue weight is not over or under loaded.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I have a 24" racetrailer for sale for $4000

·
Administrator
1,559 Posts
I have a Featherlite 7x17' V-nose that I really like. Elan fits perfectly, but Elise is a very tight =1" per side clearance through the door. Frankly I like having a few feet of extra length so I can balance the load and make sure my tongue weight is not over or under loaded. I'm glad you wrote about your experiences with a 7' width trailer! I had been considering one as I use a 7X12 now and it barely fits but it's an open trailer. I want to be able to haul more than the Lotus so I'll be looking at 8 or 8.5 width and I want enough room for tires, tools, compressor, etc so I'm thinking 18' due to overall length parking limitations. I really think the premium escape door is going to be one of my must have options but have ruled out finished interior, AC and cabinets and wold rather spend any extra on seamless and upgraded axle.
View attachment 1266063 View attachment 1266064

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I had an Aluminum Trailer Company (ATC) enlcosed trailer for about ten years. They're made in Indiana. Good quality for a fair price.

Mine was 24' which is obviously very large for a Lotus, but I was concerned about resale. Selling a shorter trailer can be a real chore. I had a line of guys ready to buy mine when I put it on the market. I actually sold it for about $3K more than I paid.

I think ATC will do custom designs, you would need to inquire.

I've actaully owned two of them. The first was destroyed about two weeks after I bought it. A microburst came through and rolled it from my driveway out into the field. A couple of full twists. Held up remarkably well. But was a total loss.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’m actually in the market myself. Just got a truck so can pull one. I’m looking for a 8.5x16. Found a couple but none with the side door. I may have to install one myself

·
Administrator
1,559 Posts
I’m actually in the market myself. Just got a truck so can pull one. I’m looking for a 8.5x16. Found a couple but none with the side door. I may have to install one myself
I did find where you can have side doors installed as an option with many of the trailer manufacturers but they were too tall. The premium escape doors like on ATC and others is what we need and only a handful of manufacturers offer them on sub 24' models but they are available. Any trailer with premium escape door under 20' will likely be custom built. I'm thinking more along the 18' length so that I can store everything normally thrown in back of truck inside trailer. Anything is better than the 12' open I have now.

·
Vendor
3,272 Posts
I have the very first Aerovault, signed by Peter Brock. I've had it for 11 years and I love it. Fantastic mileage, super-stable, tough as hell. Great visibility rearward because of the curved front. We towed back from COTA at speeds in west texas in Triple digits!. Truly a design exercise worthy of a Lotus. Money very well spent. I'll likely never sell it.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Check out Trailex. Expensive but typically lighter than virtually everything else. In addition if you ever decide to sell it it will bring big money and sell in a day.

Reactions: fzust

·
Registered
283 Posts
You can also check out Serpent Express in Florida. They have a new hardtop model that is pretty affordable.

I've been looking for an 8.5x18 trailer, aluminum with a large escape door and a v-nose. I've been having trouble finding the right combination:

• a local trailer company can build one, but they don't have large escape doors. They tick every other box though.
  • ATCs look good but the Raven is 24" OC and the Quest gets pretty expensive. Also they don't have V-Nose
  • Trailex is ok, but driving up those narrow ramps gives me the creeps
  • Montrose is an option, but also have ramps
  • Jimglo looks great, but shipping from AZ to MA makes the thing really expensive.
  • Serpent Express - interesting, cheap for what it is I think, but getting it home from FL is also tricky.

·
Administrator
1,559 Posts
ATC Raven can come 16oc and to get the Premium Escape door you have to have 20' and Car Hauler package 7' height. I just got quoted on that package. I was looking for 18' as well. Intech is another one but very pricy and 8 month lead time ATC is 4 month. I looked at a Ga company that you could build from list and it was a great build list ut no photos of finished trailers and no reviews. I'll have to peek at Serpent

·
Registered
404 Posts
Gilreath Auto Sales LLC (GAS), based in Knoxville TN, is a Haulmark trailer dealer

This company is a sponsor of my track group and several people from the group have bought trailers from them. From talking with them, they are good people and seem to build very nice trailers.

·
Vendor
3,272 Posts
ATC Raven can come 16oc and to get the Premium Escape door you have to have 20' and Car Hauler package 7' height. I just got quoted on that package. I was looking for 18' as well. Intech is another one but very pricy and 8 month lead time ATC is 4 month. I looked at a Ga company that you could build from list and it was a great build list ut no photos of finished trailers and no reviews. I'll have to peek at Serpent
What are you going to tow it with? Remember weight is one thing and air resistance is another. V-nose helps a little, but frontal area is the main driver at highway speed.

·
Administrator
1,559 Posts
What are you going to tow it with? Remember weight is one thing and air resistance is another. V-nose helps a little, but frontal area is the main driver at highway speed.
2000 F250 7.3 6mt HD tow set up

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
2000 F250 7.3 6mt HD tow set up
Why not just get a 24ft then so it is super easy to use, easy to sell lots of room for coolers, luggage, tires. ETC ETC ETC. I wish mine was bigger every time I use it. IMO just buy the generic georgia/texas cheap trailer for $5-7k and sell it again when youre done with it for $5-7k. Theyre all about the same....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts