• XXR Gold

Votes: 2 14.3%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Im about to purchase some road wheels for my Turbo Elise (I have track wheels as well) and I want a staggered 17/18 setup. Both sets weight about the same and both are tired and tested on Elise/Exige road cars with good results. (I have adjustable shocks and bbk coming)

My car is black (example photo)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Lotus elise

I'm looking at 2 options, Both in matt black or maybe even gold.....I'm slightly worried that it might be to black with black on black but interested to hear your thoughts. Im leaning slightly to black myself but gold does look really nice on back cars also

Let me know your thoughts

Team dynamics 17x7.5 front and 18x9 rear

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Lotus exige Supercar

or

XXR 530 17x7.0 front and 18x8.75 rear

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Supercar Sports car

Thanks allot guys
Riley

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I had the TD 17/18 setup and mine rubbed a bit under aggressive cornering. Was not a big deal for me as I never really drove aggressively on the street. They are heavy also. I really liked the look though. Just letting you know.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In general TDR makes a better wheel than XXR.
That would explain why the TD are slightly more expensive I guess, ive heard and read allot about both brands and they both and good feed back 99.9% of the time so thats always reassuring

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I voted for gold TDRs, I like the look of the XXRs better, but they are insanely heavy. I think 20+ lbs? I know their 15s weigh close to 16lbs.
These are the weights I can see online for the TD wheels

17x7.5 18.1lbs
18x9 25.4lbs Another site says 21.34, and another 24.2.....Bugger me its not that hard to weigh them is it?

XXR Wheels

17x7 18.4 lbs
18x8.75 23.1 lbs

How acurrate these weights are I have no idea but they appear to be very close at least on the sites I found

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JWA I can't really justify spending double the price at the moment to be honest, the mrs already wants to murder me for buying the car ! I know where you are coming from though, thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
JWA I can't really justify spending double the price at the moment to be honest, the mrs already wants to murder me for buying the car ! I know where you are coming from though, thanks

Then why pay for boat anchors when you already have wheels? It really goes against the Lotus "add lightness" mantra.

San

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I might end up going with 17x7 front and 17x8.25 rear in the XXRs just to keep the weight down a little more. To be honest a little extra weight is not going to bother me at all, you cant/shouldn't push your car that hard on the street anyway its not safe with all the idiots out there these days and not to mention the police! Ill save racing for the track and use my light weight lotus purist wheels there

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
The larger wheels are heavier but so are the tires, and at the worst possible place (furthest outward). Rotational (and unsprung) weight is far more important than static weight. I'll spare you my "pick the smallest wheels that accommodate the widest tires you'll need and clear your brakes" speech.

San

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks San, I know where you coming from mate and definitely understand the valid points you raise. I to would like to keep the weight down to a minimum as well as the price whilst maintaining the look I want for the street. Some added width should help with traction with my turbo setup also

I'm pretty settled on 17x7 and 17x8.25 now

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Check the tire sizes you're going to use. The Team Dynamics wheels are more appropriate width for wide tires that are OEM diameter. 17x7.5 fronts won't rub and are ideally sized for a 215/40-17, which happens to be almost exactly the same diameter as an OEM front. Same with the rear. 18x9 is perfect for a 255/35-18 which again is OEM diameter. Any weight savings from the narrower wheels will probably be negated from pinching the tires down. Plus it will look better, which is probably why you want a 17/18 setup to begin with. Unlike the ones pictured, the only XXRs I could find were uni-lug.

The best part with this setup is that you can simply bolt on a set of OEM wheel/tires for track use, and the ride height is unaffected.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I ran 255s rear and I believe it was 215 fronts with no spacers. The wheel fitment was already very "pushed out"/flush and spacers would have made the rubbing worse. I rarely trust butt dynos, especially when people say their 5-10 hp exhaust or intake mod made the car noticeably faster, but I will say that the TD wheel setup seemed to make the car accelerate slower due to the weight (vs. my RAC Monolites). Now I am comparing pretty much the heaviest wheel setup to the lightest, but that's what I have and that's what I noticed. YMMV. Again, I didn't really care because most of the time on the street I drive like a grandma and avoid as much attention as possible. They really were just street/show wheels. You can see pix of my TD wheels on both my Chrome Orange Exige as well as my Storm Titanium Exige in a few different wheel threads.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Check the tire sizes you're going to use. The Team Dynamics wheels are more appropriate width for wide tires that are OEM diameter. 17x7.5 fronts won't rub and are ideally sized for a 215/40-17, which happens to be almost exactly the same diameter as an OEM front. Same with the rear. 18x9 is perfect for a 255/35-18 which again is OEM diameter. Any weight savings from the narrower wheels will probably be negated from pinching the tires down. Plus it will look better, which is probably why you want a 17/18 setup to begin with. Unlike the ones pictured, the only XXRs I could find were uni-lug.

The best part with this setup is that you can simply bolt on a set of OEM wheel/tires for track use, and the ride height is unaffected.
Hey thats good advice thanks allot MotoGeek, I do like the TD wheels in Gold as well. Just not quite as cool but they are more functional as you say and that goes along way

I ran 255s rear and I believe it was 215 fronts with no spacers. The wheel fitment was already very "pushed out"/flush and spacers would have made the rubbing worse. I rarely trust butt dynos, especially when people say their 5-10 hp exhaust or intake mod made the car noticeably faster, but I will say that the TD wheel setup seemed to make the car accelerate slower due to the weight (vs. my RAC Monolites). Now I am comparing pretty much the heaviest wheel setup to the lightest, but that's what I have and that's what I noticed. YMMV. Again, I didn't really care because most of the time on the street I drive like a grandma and avoid as much attention as possible. They really were just street/show wheels. You can see pix of my TD wheels on both my Chrome Orange Exige as well as my Storm Titanium Exige in a few different wheel threads.
More good info, especially as you ran this exact setup yourself. How did you find the handling difference? I'm sure I can sacrifice a little acceleration on the road as its already does sub 4 seconds to 62 lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts