The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the reason Lotus chose to put 175's in the front of the 2008 sport pack equipped cars?

In my case, I have Advan 07's 175's in the front on my 08 Elise SC.

Was there a reason Lotus chose not to put 195's in front? :shrug:
Was it a weight thing, or they wanted a little less oversteer than by putting 195's in the front?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
They used the AD07 which does not come in 195 and yes, they wanted more understeer which makes the car safer. Lame, but you can do some things to dial it out. Get an alignment immediately. It makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hi, Im understeer, have we met before?

I like to ruin your fun by way of your nose plowing through each corner. If you miss the apex, IVE DONE MY JOB!

I really enjoy hard compound tires, or tires that are too thin, or over inflated.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
This is my biggest disappointment with the new Elise. For those buying these cars, few in number, such a compromise shouldn't have been made. Tires could be easily changed, but rim width is very important. People buying the LSS are about as hardcore a sport driver as there is in the automotive market. I can't believe the decision-makers at a company like Lotus don't have an understanding of their true customer. A non-LSS suspension is there for those wanting a street oriented car and the optional suspension shouldn't be compromised. Having unique tire and rim offset requirements are a major PIA to enthusiasts that track their cars. :mad:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Mine came with 195 A048s. now it has 175 AD07s on the base wheels. I like 'em. I've got no understeer problems.

I used to get nasty understeer with the Elise, with the 195s, and was just appalled at how it could have been set up to drive like that. just nasty wash out.

THen somewhere along the line I figured it out and haven't seen understeer since. and then when I switched to 175s, the understeer didn't reappear then either.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Once the touring tires wear out (OK, just teasing Tim, the base 175s) I'll be going to 195s on wider wheels; but in the mean time, more negative camber (-1.3 deg) and more caster (4.1 deg) helped the understeer immensely.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Mine came with 195 A048s. now it has 175 AD07s on the base wheels. I like 'em. I've got no understeer problems.

I used to get nasty understeer with the Elise, with the 195s, and was just appalled at how it could have been set up to drive like that. just nasty wash out.

THen somewhere along the line I figured it out and haven't seen understeer since. and then when I switched to 175s, the understeer didn't reappear then either.
By figuring it out do you mean backing off? Or did you make suspension changes?

If the car understeers with 195s.....unless you change something you are going to understeer WORSE(unless compounds and pressure are changed) with 175s.

Im assuming you simply mean you modified your line, aka you are not going in as hot as you COULD.

·
Registered
744 Posts

What kind of setting do you have on your car? Because you can dial out the understeer.. maybe your front suspension was too stiff.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have made those (to the track settings recommended in the ohlins manual), found huge improvements in the car's dynamic behaviour (they were all whacked out as if somebody in the shop had messed with all the settings in both compression and rebound randomly before delivery and never set them back).

But the difference between "too understeery" and "balanced" happened as a change of driving technique and did not coincide with the suspension adjustments,

And no I have no slowed down, and in fact, I did HPDEs on both the 195 A048 and the 175 AD07, and did not suffer understeer problems on either.

It is primarly down to driving technique. i found that I was relying far too much on front end grip as a habit developed from a life time of driving front engined cars, that I was not managing the weight balance of the car appropriately. The braking, turn in, drive out were all wrong for the car and would result in wash out and frustrate me no end.

I am not an expert and cannot clearly articulate what I do differently, but in general terms, I don't turn in till most of the speed is bled off. I don't use the scrub at the front end to bleed off speed. Braking, turn in while balanced on the throttle, then feed into the throttle past the apex. the car just glides beautifully around corners without washout. I rely less on front end grip and I find mysel relying a lot more on the rear outside tire for stick.

You recall that video with Jeremy Clarkson and Gavin Kershaw on Top Gear with the then new S2 in green? It understeered like a pig for the Clarkson and balanced out for Kershaw?

I am very far from being able to drive like Clarkson, never mind like driving god Kershaw (In fact I am a rank neophyte), but that video illustrates that its about the technique and if you get it right, you CAN drive the car without understeer.

The only difference I've noticed between the 195 A048s and the 175 AD07s as far as the balance goes, is that the AD07 takes more steering input. You could say thats understeer, and you may be right, but 1. thats still not the same as actually feeling and watching the car slide off your desired line and making a mess of things. and 2. it may also be related to the reduced grip and greater compliance in the tire design.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
You literally just described what I said, you slowed down. Clarkson was disapointed because he was TRYING to get the car to oversteer by going in the corner hot and just cutting the wheel and hitting the gas, that doesnt work in our cars, you need to lift on the corner, then power out.

Oversteer, for the most part will result in a loss of momentum, and while fun as all hell, isnt ideal for every corner.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't agree with you that I have slowed down to kill the understeer. I feel that I have become a lot faster in fact by doing what I do. But I am no expert so I won't argue it.

Other expert drivers may indeed agree with your assessment of what I am doing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts