The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed lug studs in my car since I take my wheels off a lot due to tracking, and the clearance between the recessed screw holes on the wheels and the thinnest 17mm sockets that I've found is still too low - it cracks and scratches the paint on my LSS wheels, especially on the rears where the holes are deeper.

So, for anyone else who's got LSS wheels and a stud conversion, what are you using for a socket, and does it clear the wheels?

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I had the same issue/worry at first - got a deep 17mm socket from Sears (Craftsman one) and it fits just fine in my LSS - even after I had them powdercoated (it's a bit tighter now so I just start things slowly as to not scratch things up).

Try that one as it worked well for me - nothing special, just the 17mm deep they sell (I think mine is a 12 point not a 6 point). 6 should be better but that's not what I'm using...

-Ross

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, odd. I'm also using the sears one since it fits best. My wheels are painted from the factory, and it scrapes those. It fits great in the unpainted, older ones I bought from someone else. Thanks.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
The only thing I can think then is the painted wheels just have too thick of a coating on them and it's making the hole narrower. Of course that doesn't really help you does it? :)

I suppose you could either have a shop grind the socket a bit (but if I remember it's a pretty thin walled socket already) or have someone grind out the wheels in such a way that it looks good but is thinner. I was pleasantly surprised that mine still fit after powdercoating - it's a tight fit but I've never minded a tight fit ;-)

-Ross

·
Registered
350 Posts
i had the same problem with my black LSS wheels. i ended up buying some muteki 12x1.5 open ended lug nuts from ebay. they came with a thin walled keyed socket (much thinner than the thinnest 6/12pt socket i could find anywhere). been hammering them off and on all season without any problems, and no more rubbing on the wheel paint!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts