The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a year and a half, I'm still in love with my "Dream Car".
Here are some personal comments:

1. When Terry and I tried getting in the Elise 18 months ago, I though the dealer had to call the fire department or a crane to get out! Now it's an easy routine.
2. I thought the Elise was a supreme babe magnet!:nanner: Turns out it attracts young boys.:sad: I'm not into that. So I started to concentrate on REAL driving.
3. I've never been attracted to track events. Now I'm addicted!
4. Every time I see the Elise, I'm still in dream mode!
5. This car beats us up every time we drive it. But I'm use to it.
6. I don't care if it has manual steering, manual mirrors, fixed seat position, poor radio reception, poor A/C and heating. I've learned to tune in to handling and performance, and luxury flies out the window.
7. This car comes with an amazing, intelligent, caring friends...on LT AND in person!:D
8. I feel like I'm Superman, Clark Kent, James Bond, and Jimmy Clark every time I drive this car. The feelin begins when I push "Start Engine"!
9. I don't care that I won't be the fastest driver. For the first time, MY potential and skills limit me, not the car! I'm happy about it!
10. Driving a Lotus is a lifestyle, something to look forward to every day! :wave:

Just a few thoughts......

--Hal

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the sharing your ownership experience with us. Since I'm considering an Elise, I appreciated reading your post.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
All (well, most) of the above, plus:

11. Gets better gas mileage than all my other cars
12. It's a "hands on" car... it's simple, accessible, and relatively easy to work on/modify.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Skyvue, I agree 100%. I never thought I could tolerate a car that has it's imperfections like the Lotus. The car is so superior when put in it's element that I have found no problem living with things that would have bothered me had it been some other car of past experiences.

My family gave me a set of speakers for Father's Day for my Lotus because they even hated the stock speakers. I was like, thank you but I was really considering taking the radio and a/c out and putting in a full cage. :)

I love my car and it has changed me in a lot of ways. What I consider important in a car now is totally different from what I used to consider important. How many hours have I spent in my lifetime trying to pamper a special car in an effort to keep it perfect? In hindsight, what a waste of time and energy. Since owning a Lotus, it didn't take long to accept a few nicks here and there in exchange for absolutely wonderful track experiences. I have no reservations with the trade offs I have chosen.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
+1000
All of them, especially #3
I never even thought about it when I bought the car...

·
Registered
277 Posts
2. I thought the Elise was a supreme babe magnet!:nanner: Turns out it attracts young boys
Not true ! Last weekend I was outside in my driveway washing the car and two SMOKIN' HOT girls pulled up and parked right in front of my house (they were going to a party down the street) One of them said to me in a flirty voice, "My friend thinks your car is cool ! But I think its just O.K." I shoulda offered her a ride to change her mind ! :evil:

·
Registered
205 Posts
All (well, most) of the above, plus:

11. Gets better gas mileage than all my other cars
me too. my SC is getting better mileage on break in that I currently get with my Echo with 90,000 miles on it. Time for a new 2009 Fit or Yaris for a DD perhaps?:shrug:

·
Registered
25 Posts
With a year and a half, I'm still in love with my "Dream Car".
Here are some personal comments:

1. When Terry and I tried getting in the Elise 18 months ago, I though the dealer had to call the fire department or a crane to get out! Now it's an easy routine.
2. I thought the Elise was a supreme babe magnet!:nanner: Turns out it attracts young boys.:sad: I'm not into that. So I started to concentrate on REAL driving.
3. I've never been attracted to track events. Now I'm addicted!
4. Every time I see the Elise, I'm still in dream mode!
5. This car beats us up every time we drive it. But I'm use to it.
6. I don't care if it has manual steering, manual mirrors, fixed seat position, poor radio reception, poor A/C and heating. I've learned to tune in to handling and performance, and luxury flies out the window.
7. This car comes with an amazing, intelligent, caring friends...on LT AND in person!:D
8. I feel like I'm Superman, Clark Kent, James Bond, and Jimmy Clark every time I drive this car. The feelin begins when I push "Start Engine"!
9. I don't care that I won't be the fastest driver. For the first time, MY potential and skills limit me, not the car! I'm happy about it!
10. Driving a Lotus is a lifestyle, something to look forward to every day! :wave:

Just a few thoughts......

--Hal
It's easy to see what attracts people to the Elise...and your list is a good summary of why people buy them. That said, can you guys put your thinking caps on and prepare a list of likely reasons why owners later sell them?

·
Registered
773 Posts
It's easy to see what attracts people to the Elise...and your list is a good summary of why people buy them. That said, can you guys put your thinking caps on and prepare a list of likely reasons why owners later sell them?
Who's selling theirs?

Only to maybe get ANOTHER one! :coolnana:
Just ask your buddy, Ken! :clap:

P.S. ...Yes, I like emoticons! :cool:

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Easy only 1 answer for most all cases.

1. They bought the car based on the cool factor, without knowing or researching what it was and what it was designed for.

I think the vast majority thought wow, I can have a mini Ferrari and be so bad ass around my neighborhood and people will look at me and respect me. Then they learn that it was actually designed to be a secondary track ready car that also happens to be street legal, not for going to nightclubs in or cruising the strip. The original target market was upper middle class/rich people ( the Lotus designers called it "a rich boy's weekend toy") . The whole philosophy behind the designing of the Elise was for it to be a weekend car, that in good weather,you could drive to a race track , race , then drive home. Some of us (like me) use them as daily drivers but it takes patience, tolerance, awareness and planning.

You know what is valuable about Hal's list for people thinking about buying an Elise/Exige? If you don't think you are going to be obsessed, in love and dreaming about the car, chances are after a few months the inconveniences will outweigh the positives. I know when I finally was in a situation where I could think about buying a 3rd fun car, I had dreams about driving an Elise almost every night.
I built my dream Elise on a Lotus dealer's website probably 500 times, had an Elise desktop on my computers..... I rented one for a weekend and after that I was finished. Nothing could stop me from owning the car, nothing, I was obsessed !

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'd have to say most girls (girlfriends included) hated the car.
no a/c. (hair always gets messed up from the wind)
hard to get in and out of
some even thought it was ugly.
but most girls, and all guys end up asking me about it.

one of my favorite things about elises. is the forum

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have often thought that the lack of creature comforts (including ingress/egress) ultimately trumps all the good things about the car over time.....thereby leading to its sale by the owner.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I have often thought that the lack of creature comforts (include ingress/egress) ultimately (over time) trumps all the good things about the car.....thereby leading to its sale by the owner.
Naa...its almost always because of a woman...:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Naa...its almost always because of a woman...:D
A friend of mine had a convertible many years ago.....he and his girlfriend always seemed to enjoy the top-down motoring. After they got married, however, the top never went down again. Interesting, isn't it?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
i love this car. Don't have any complaints. Only time I don't look forward to driving it is when it's hot. oh and the fact I always have to spend 30minutes to 1 hour cleaning the car up after every drive before I cover it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Almost one week with my car and I'm loving it! As for driving around in hot days, the AC blows nice and cold. The roads around here are pretty crappy, so I had to soften the damper settings. The sound of the supercharger is very addictive, and the handling is just amazing, though I'm still getting used to driving a mid-engine.

shay2nak, how do you clean your car after driving?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cleaning up after drive!

i love this car. oh and the fact I always have to spend 30minutes to 1 hour cleaning the car up after every drive before I cover it.
rotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotfl

I THOUGHT *I* WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT SPENDS 30 MINUTES TO 1 HOUR CLEANING THE CAR UP AFTER DRIVING IT!!!!

ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE WHO ALSO DOES THE SAME???:confused:

--Hal

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
it's still the most truthful road car i've ever driven.
light, simple and with a japanese powertrain, too.
NOT exotic hardware, just great engineering for the purpose.
same reason i like my toyota echo.
one good look at a used one sold me on the need for an elise.
that was in october 2006.
bought mine new in feb '07.
the day's not complete without a run in the elise...:clap:
sam ~15,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts