The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

19/20 Diamond Cut wheels option. Are they tough enough?

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Chhirowolf 
#1 ·
I was going thru the N/A Evora options with my local Lotus dealer but was sort of discouraged from going for the 19/20 tires (standard on the S). Said that it's more prone to bending due to bad roads.

So I'm curious to hear from Lotus Evora owners out there on 19/20's -- any problems with bent/twisted rims?

The option I was looking at: Design Wheel, Diamond Cut, forged (19 inch Front and 20 inch Rear)

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I agree these rims look best and I've always gone OEM for all my cars. My previous BMW E60, the rims were 19" but really good -- M5 concave rims and took a super beating on the roads and track without bending for 4 years and until I traded to the newer BMW F10 which I opted for 20" Kelleners but although these are said to be forged, they're nowhere close to as strong as my old M5 rims were. I've had to have my front rims straightened twice the past year!

I'm just trying to make sure that these rims will be within spec for the Evora (non-S) before I order them......

#5 ·
I have 5K miles on mine and no problems, but the tire selection is very limited, as invictus mentioned, and also very $$$. I would have foregone this option if I'd had a choice.

#8 ·
Agrees with ACP, you really have to be careful with the curbs as there is no room for error.

I have 8500kms on them in Toronto, have driven them from good roads to gravel roads, no issues with bent rims or tire wear (more than 1/2 treads left on rear). Blend of city and highway driving. When the fears wear out I plan to go with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, as if I remember correctly they have the right size, and those who have used the tire are raving about it.

Interesting note on the Michelin PSS, these tires are very very popular in Hong Kong; I've seen them on everything including minivans...

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

#9 ·
Said that it's more prone to bending due to bad roads.
That's bull. The diamond cuts are forged and aren't going to bend unless you hit a hell of a pothole. The kind, unfortunately, like I've run in to here in New York City and which have claimed three rims on my 330xi over the years. Which is why I bought my Evora with a set of both 18/19 stealth classics for normal road use and a set of 19/20 diamond cuts for track and shows. The noise at speed with the larger wheels is much higher and the handling is stiffer--not jarring or uncomfortable, but definitely stiffer. And I agree with everyone else that they look better. But the real joy in those wheels is the phenomenal handling of the P Zero Corsas. Given the long drive from New York City to Orlando and the legendary roughness of Sebring, I put the classics on for the trip to LOG 32, but if I had the diamond cuts with the P Zero Corsas on I'm sure I could have shaved off 5-10 seconds on my laps at Sebring. Anyway, if you're not doing a lot of long trips at highway speed, you'll love the larger wheels and tires.

#10 ·
My 20" Kelleners Hamburg rims (on my BMW) are forged too but I've had them straightened out twice already! No potholes, no curbs, just the normal rough roads that I drive on over here, probably similar to those in NJ/NY I would suppose... lol

Somehow forged are not created equal. I completely trust BBS/MTech forged but some of the other brands are not as strong.

This is why I was asking to see how people are doing with them so far. Sounds good so I'll go ahead and get them.

#11 ·
If your roads are rough enough to bend a few forged rims then maybe reconsider, but then again a lot of people seem to have no problems with the diamond cuts. I just went with the extra set of classics because I was gun shy after blowing so many tires and rims here.

#13 ·
The Diamond Cut are way better than the standard rims. They do not - repeat do not - kerb easier because the rubber is much wider. You can take kerbs without a problem, been there, done that.

Downside? Rubber is expensive, but the Corsa tires are ace! Still you get 13-14,000km out of them including one track day.

And 400NM don't go so well with the smaller tires on the standard rim, that's at least my experience when on winter tires.

#15 ·
Absolutely. Waaaaaay louder. I thought I might be imagining it, but I had two friends take a ride on both wheels and they agreed. I only use the larger wheels for track or show because the noise gets on my nerves. I think if I'd had them on the way to and back from NYC to Orlando for LOG 32 I would have worn earplugs.

#18 ·
thx for the comments - strange, the newer car with more insulation has the louder noise? both have the original tires or did someone swap them out?

#19 ·
May want to make sure the tires have not cupped or have a flat spot, due to improper tire inflation.
My G35 rear tires would do that unless I was vigilant on the tire pressure. Made the car extreamely loud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.