The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is This normal? No real drop in coolant level in the bottle. I tightened radiator hoses and looked around. Nothing TADTS. Took it to the dealer and they pressure checked it (allegedly)They found no problems.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I get an occasional whiff of coolant smell every now and then when the car is hot. i hunted around underneath a week ago when I changed the oil. The only thing I saw was a bit of crud on the block drain fitting that looked like it had been weeping. I put a wrench on it, but it was tight.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I had a similar problem and it was that the washer on the rear bleeder valve was bad, and it caused a small drip and it smelled like antifreeze.
My temperature ran a little high when this was happenning around 190-195, now it 183 -186 even after driving for 3 hours non stop at 90 plus degrees.

You may also want to bleed your coolant system to make sure that their isnt any air trapped in it. One side of the coolant reservoir should be full, and the other one should should be about half full and to the mark indicated on the reservoir.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a similar problem and it was that the washer on the rear bleeder valve was bad, and it caused a small drip and it smelled like antifreeze.
My temperature ran a little high when this was happenning around 190-195, now it 183 -186 even after driving for 3 hours non stop at 90 plus degrees.

You may also want to bleed your coolant system to make sure that their isnt any air trapped in it. One side of the coolant reservoir should be full, and the other one should should be about half full and to the mark indicated on the reservoir.
Where is the rear bleeder valve? on the engine? the lotus service notes are terrible

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
there is a small plastic bleeder valve on the heater hose just above the shifter cables on the transaxle. It is a knurled plastic wheel about 3/8" in diameter. There is another one on the radiator hose on the drivers side near the radiator if I recall correctly. IT is up under the clam and a bit more effort to reach.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts