The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with picking up a 1970 Plus 2 that belongs to a friend who is considering selling.

Any major bugaboos I need to be aware of, or stuff to strongly ponder before taking the plunge? I've owned a Turbo Esprit before, so I'm pretty familiar with Lotus and expect that the Elan would be much simpler to live with than the Esprit was.

Any particular engine fragilities I need to know about? Anything else that should make me run away screaming instead of continuing to fantasise about having this car in my driveway? It does need some work, but it's not a basket-case by any stretch.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I would suggest you do some research on Lotuselan.net. They are fantastic cars. Some parts are unobtainable. 13 inch tires are getting very hard to get. You come back from every drive with a big smile on your face.

·
Premium Member
11,573 Posts
front uprights (if these are like Elans) are open on top. Water gets in, oxidizes.

Not repairable; req's new chassis.

I hope the towers were closed on +2s.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Chassis is identical [but longer and wider] to the Elan, and shares the same weaknesses. Chassis are an issue, and any chassis that has not been replaced will eventually be replaced. This is not a reason not to buy, but a determination of value. If the car has been stored outside on dirt, or had been driven in the winter it will be short lived. Stored inside and cared for, it can last a long time but eventually they all meet their demise.

I have had one for 31 years at it is indeed a great car.

·
Registered
685 Posts
It's true that 13" tyres are harder to find, but I just bought a set of Vredestein Sprints for my Elan. Coker do all kinds!
The engines don't last as long as moderns, expect to do valve jobs etc. every 40-50,000 miles. No biggie, as you probably won't be driving the car that much but using it as a second car.
Front turrets can be repaired, but replacement chassis frame will be due at some time. That sounds a lot more frightening than it really is, especially if you are a capable mechanic. There are several excellent sources of spare parts, new and used, and a lot of helpful enthusiasts.
Take the plunge - you'll enjoy it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I signed the papers last night! Won't be able to bring the car home for a couple of weeks though, due to a repair it's getting the day after I depart for a ten-day vacation. But I'm really chuffed about it and very much looking forward to having a huge amount of fun with this car! :D

Here's the one pic I have of it:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts