The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
a hundred grand? I'd rather have a Detomaso Pantera or Mangusta if I wanted an exotic classic sports car with american muscle engine.

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: $100k?!!!?

Its go one of 'em distributErs (original spelling). This must be worth the extra $90k ! :) ! LOL

A Kelmark is a copy of a Dino. Kelmark is the little kit car company that built fiberglass bodies to put on a VW bug chassis. so an 'original' Kelmark is
worth (maybe) $10k, since it is just a hacked up bug. A copy of a Kelmark should be a sight to behold :) should be worth $10, if anybody made one.

Kelmark was one of the better kit car companies. Like all of them, it went under.

A Ferrari Dino is a little Ferrari with a Fiat V6 engine. It was named by Enzo after his legitimate son, Dino, who passed away very young from a congenital disease. Dino tried to promote a smaller, cheaper V6 Ferrari, but never got around to see the car built.

The originals themselves where not worth much for a long time, as the real tifosi thought they were not real Ferraris. I saw an auction for one on TV, recently. It was a few $100k.

Corvair transaxle, 'camel-back' small block heads (from the '60's), 327, Carter AFB...... Reminds me of when I was 16.... and it was already old.

Anton

$100k for an original Kelmark, or:

$11k for a fiberglas copy of a Dino, called a Kelmark??

1969 Kelmark GT Ferrari Dino Replica for sale | Hemmings Motor News

Life is funny.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ferrari Dyno is a car manufactured by Ferrari in the '60's. It is an expensive car worth about $250k, now.

A Kelmark is a kit car trying to copy above mentioned Ferrari and using a VW Bug running gear.

Since, there is nothing original about a kit car that is a copy of someone's work and uses someone's drive-train, calling a Kelmark an 'original' is an oxymoron (A figure of speech in which incongruous or seemingly contradictory terms appear side by side; a compressed paradox). I was trying to explain that and poke some fun at the $100k asking price for something that is not worth $10k.

Anton

P.S. Looks like Ferrari is trying to resurrect the Dino. 2014 F1 will run 1.6L turbo engines, just like the original. It was truly ahead of its time....

its not a dino/vw

its an orig kelmark? what am i missing here? & why is it looked over?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Take the replica swap out the engine but don't expect a high resale. Its like buying a fake wallet or bag. Looks the part but has no value

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
A friend bought a real Dino back when I bought my Lotus. I think he paid about 60K for it, but a dealer around us just sold one of them for about $450K. About a year ago they were going for $200K.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a Maserati Bora when I was 17 for $25K since I didnt want to take out a loan. or buying a used Pantera for 12K. It could be worse.My classmates older brother traded a guy his Shelby Mustang for a home stereo system in the early 70's

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
P.S. Looks like Ferrari is trying to resurrect the Dino. 2014 F1 will run 1.6L turbo engines, just like the original. It was truly ahead of its time....
mmm... no, the FIA dictates the formula. all F1 cars will be the new formula. has nothing to do with Ferrari trying to introduce something into the market...

the common production dino engines were either 2.0 or later 2.4 L. those v-6 were not forced induction. the later production v8 ("308" and on) was an evolution of the dino, and that had a very limited forced induction production application ( 288 gto )

F1 has a long history of engine formula... literally everything and everything has pretty much been in at one time or another. although little innovation these days.

but anyways the production dino, was originally 2.0 liter v-6 (there were "dino" engines built of varying spec for various racing classes, prior to street production. but i don't think the dino was used in F1 / grand prix. F2 and such as i recall, but i am no expert.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts