The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has one sitting in her drive way for about a year now but hasn't been turned on for quite a while and wants to sell it..What's it worth or should she part it instead?

Just trying to help her out...

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Condition?

·
Registered
28 Posts
$3K to $4K as is with a clean/clear title

Part it out?? I doubt that you can get more than a thousand or two from removable parts - and then she'll have a hulk (partly disassemble car) in the driveway that requires a junk yard haul-off - might get a $100 or two but might cost a $100 or two.
Also likely that the buyer would not be local so they would want (expect) she take the parts off and ship them - not some I would want to do

Put it on eBay and sell it for best offer.

Herb

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! She says it turns over but doesn't start. I'll get more info shortly

·
Registered
20 Posts
Forget parting it.......more head trouble than it is worth. There are some out there that are into these but few and far between. I understand they handle very well but the big picture is they will never be worth much.

·
Registered
534 Posts
A friend of mine has one sitting in her drive way for about a year now but hasn't been turned on for quite a while and wants to sell it..What's it worth or should she part it instead?
The Elite & Eclat 4-seat Lotus models never sold well in North America. Back in the day, Lotus fans on this side of the pond were only interested in the next berzerker Lotus sports car, and bought a Camry/ Accord if they wanted 4 seats. Only 337 Federal (emissions) Eclats were ever sold worldwide, in a number of countries with stricter emissions standards (USA, Canada, Japan, Switzerland, Australia?... a few othes), and a disappointingly high percentage of them are no longer on the road.

A very nice Eclat is a rarity in the USA. Unfortunately, that means market apathy rarity more than it does Barrett-Jackson rarity.

A good example that runs well and looks good, something that you would like to take to the local Cars & Coffee or Lotus Ltd LOG car show could fetch $7500-$8500 "IF" you could hook up with that unique buyer who wants one.

Your friend's car looks complete, but neglected. If it started and ran well enough for the buyer to drive it home, it might be worth $2500-$3500. $4000 to the right buyer, but totally dependent upon condition. A little TLC to improve curb appeal could make a big difference between the low and high ends of that range.

Be realistic... beyond what's obvious in the little pictures you posted, what is it's condition? This is one of the more unloved Lotus models, and having a LOTUS badge on the nose isn't going to make it worth more than it's worth as any old car in that condition. So what do you think it's worth down at the corner used car lot? That's probably about all a local "For Sale" ad will get you. A national ad that reaches the handful of the right fans might get you that $2500-$4000 mentioned above, and she'll have to work for it. Certainly polish the poor thing up a bit. As is, the $2500 is probably optimistic... "IF" she can get the engine running.

The real crux of the matter, in my mind, is that it doesn't start! That could be a stake through it's heart. Not starting could be anything from dirty carbs (very likely, ie, sitting for a year+ with old gas in them), jumped cam timing (bent valves if it jumped far enough), or a needed engine rebuild. So, you tell us, what is wrong with it? The car's value depends upon your answer.

If she pays a shop... a small-town, low-overhead shop... to do the work, a full engine rebuild on the 907 can start at around $3000 and go up... $4500 if the head needs to be rebuilt. At a San Francisco shop with high overhead and high hourly rates, probably a whole lot more. And that just makes the engine right, it's not a performance upgrade, and the car's ultimate worth given the rest of it's cosmetic condition isn't going to jump much higher than the $2500-$4000 mentioned. That price range presumes a working engine at the time of sale.

If the car is complete with nothing missing but in the cosmetic condition shown in the photos, and with the engine not running, then she should take the first $1000-$1500 she can get for it, and run.

I own two Eclat 523s (5-spd, A/C, power steering, leather), so I'd like to see them be worth a lot. But I own them because I'm one of the odd ducks who like them, and I 'really' like the handling. I also own an Esprit S2, and the Eclats handle better than the Esprit, hands down. But it's 4 seats, looks like an old Toyota Supra if you squint, and doesn't have the boy-racer appeal on cruise night. An Esprit wins that fight every time. To most, the Eclat (and Elite) is the Esprit's ugly step-sister. It is what it is, and it doesn't carry a big price tag.

Parting the car out only works if the seller has to skill, tools and time to disassemble it. Paying a mechanic to remove a part will cost more than you'll get for the part on eBay. If she (or you) can do the wrenching, then it's possible to make more piece by piece than thru a complete sale.

If doing the work isn't an option, then sell it as a complete project "core" with a starting asking price of $1000-$1500... negotiate from there. Or sell it to a sports car salvage yard for whatever she can get... probably in the hundreds.

Good luck,
Tim Engel

·
Registered
534 Posts
Is this a 4-spd, 5-spd, or automatic car?

If 4-spd, is it an "Eclat", or a "Sprint". The Eclat is basically built to Elite spec as a small GT.

The Sprint was stripped of all possible dead weight, given a cloth interior, the 4-speed transmission, narrow steel wheels (the alloys in the photo are not stock Lotus), skinny 185/70 tires, and smaller front brakes/ spindles/ bearings. The Sprint was sold as a 4-seat sports car, and as a lower priced, entry level Lotus. Originally, Federal "Sprints" were all white with a lengthwise black 'rally' stripe and a "Sprint" graphic on the rear. I don't know if later ones came in other colors.

The prices mentioned in the message above reflect the "Eclat".
A "Sprint" would be lower priced.

Through the years, many Sprints have been dressed up as Eclats, but if you look closely, there will still be some lower-spec Sprint parts lurking under the make-over. Look carefully before you buy.

Regards,
Tim Engel

·
Registered
77 Posts
If this car was in my neighborhood, I'd have to drag it home.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
dont temp me, i love them! but if there is any chassis rot... its scrap. if the engine is cooked... your upside down already. but i do love them :) i think the 1k'ish estimate to haul it away is very generous. sorted enough to drive around safely. could be expense... and still be likely be 5k ish.. just guessing. though

Tim has all the real detail above....

·
Registered
534 Posts
Never buy a run-down Elite-Eclat to flip and make a buck. It won't happen. Buy one because you like them and never add up the invoices. Just enjoy the drive.

Colin Chapman drove an Esprit when he wanted to be seen, and an Elite-Eclat when he wanted to drive... of course, in the UK, they had a little more horsepower. The Eclat was a good car in which to 'arrive'... sideways.

Regards,
Tim Engel

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all the good info...at this point, after speaking to my friend, she's not the actual owner, her friend is and she has his permission to sell it...obviously with all the legal documentation. She's merely looking for an offer and from what I can gather, the car is all original but needs work. As stated before the engine is not frozen and turns over but doesn't start (her words). I guess she's just tired of storing it :shrug:

PS-To be honest, if I was handy with a wrench, I'd buy it and drive the pants out of it since it's more to my liking...oh well :(

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
^^ stop tempting me :) lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts