The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum, I am wondering the best way to jack up the Esprit. I was thinking of taking a 12"x 12" piece of plywood on my floor jack or jackstand just to the rear of the front wheels and the to front of the rear wheels, I need to get the wheels refurbished, any thoughts? Thanks for any information this is a great forum for advice.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,863 Posts
The wide crossmember between the front control arms is a safe place to lift. Yes, use a 1" x 4" board to be 'safe'. Then support the front with jack stands just inboard of the control arm bushings on that same frame. (You may need to drive the car onto boards to be able to slip your floor jack under there)

In the rear, lift with your floor jack at the bottom of the engine cradle 'hoop'. Leave the floor jack in place but steady the car with jack stands at the factory jacking points, just forward of the rear wheels.

The Esprit body is thin and flexible so don't actually lift the car on the sills, or keep it supported by them, if you can help it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wide crossmember between the front control arms is a safe place to lift. Yes, use a 1" x 4" board to be 'safe'. Then support the front with jack stands just inboard of the control arm bushings on that same frame. (You may need to drive the car onto boards to be able to slip your floor jack under there)

In the rear, lift with your floor jack at the bottom of the engine cradle 'hoop'. Leave the floor jack in place but steady the car with jack stands at the factory jacking points, just forward of the rear wheels.

The Esprit body is thin and flexible so don't actually lift the car on the sills, or keep it supported by them, if you can help it.
Atwell, I do not see a hoop under the engine, I think the S3 Esprits had this brace, but S2's do not, any advice other than trying to jack it up on the frame in the rear?

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
66 Posts
For the front I always jack up off of the front LCA mount on the passenger side.
I can fit my jack in just barely and the car's stiff enough it lifts both side up at the same time.
The box of U channel that runs between the two controls arms on my car came prebent from what I assume was someone jacking it up from the center of it.
For the rear I too use the cradle under the transmission. Both the LCA and transmission mount to it on an S3.
Other than that it's pretty sparse back there.
I've thought about taking a plywood disc and glueing a block of wood that fits in the factory jack points to make a jackpad adapter. But those jacking points on the sils sure scare me.

·
Registered
394 Posts
When using the factory jack point be sure to use a hockey puck against the factory jack point and in between either your jack face or on top of the jack stand

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,863 Posts
Guys, remember that the front FRAMES changed over the years. For example, the S1 had a single control arm, after '84 they added the triangular lower arm and that U channel forward of the main front crossmember.

The S1 frame is different in the rear...I don't have experience but I remember people saying that the engine is DROPPED down out of an S1, but is LIFTED out of the car in the Turbo era.

@Esprit2 (Tim E) would know for sure...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The S1 does not have the chassis hoop, it has this, on mine i used to jack it at the end where the trans mount is attached to the channel (using two jacks) never had an issue though it does mean you are raising the car by the transmission!

lotus_esprit_gearbox.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts