The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Considering this. Has been for sale for a while. Thoughts?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/609149993.html

Ron

Well, for starters the seller is mistaken on some key points for his car:

1) Not the last year for carbs. I had an 84 and it had Dellortos. I think they were carbed through 85 as well.

2) Not chargecooled. At least not a federal spec car from the factory. Not that year.

3) Can't do 5.5 to 60 stock. Road tests at the time had it at best doing 6.6 or 6.7 to 60.

55K miles. $13.5 could be a good buy if the car needs NOTHING. But they are expensive to fix and a lot of owners didn't really keep up with maintenance.

If you know a good mechanic that knows the car that can go over it, including compression check, then look into it.

If you're not a knowledgable Esprit wrench turner, I would not consider this car without a good going over.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I agree. That price isn't bad, depending on the car's condition (it's high end for a G-car, but about right for one in great shape).

No chargecooler on that sucker unless he added one and if he did, think twice.

Look for standard Esprit maintenance stuff. At 55k it needs to have had the timing belt changed twice, probably needed a clutch, check the cam towers for leakage and the bills for a receipt for cam tower gaskets, etc.

I don't have much experience with teh carb'ed turbo cars though. I would imagine that could be a finicky setup but I'll let the above poster weigh in on that.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Well, for starters the seller is mistaken on some key points for his car:

1) Not the last year for carbs. I had an 84 and it had Dellortos. I think they were carbed through 85 as well.

2) Not chargecooled. At least not a federal spec car from the factory. Not that year.

3) Can't do 5.5 to 60 stock. Road tests at the time had it at best doing 6.6 or 6.7 to 60.

55K miles. $13.5 could be a good buy if the car needs NOTHING. But they are expensive to fix and a lot of owners didn't really keep up with maintenance.

If you know a good mechanic that knows the car that can go over it, including compression check, then look into it.

If you're not a knowledgable Esprit wrench turner, I would not consider this car without a good going over.
+1 for all of the above comments. Here a few other things to consider as well. If you are looking at a G Esprit, you would be much better off with an '86 or '87. Lotus changed the front suspension to a better design with 2 ball joints and A-arms instead of locating the wheels with the front sway bar. The engine was uprated to forged pistons and nikasil aluminum liners instead of the cast pistons and iron liners that have a high failure rate. The entire roof of the car comes out as a sunroof and stores in the trunk so you can enjoy open top motoring. The carbs were replaced with a very reliable Bosch fuel injection system which is important for engine life and longevity. You also have to consider the color scheme on this car--the white over bright red is a love it or hate it combo......very early '80s. At 55K miles this car is certainly on its 2nd engine and if it was not rebuilt to the newer standards, it will be due for another one soon. This car would have to be perfect for me to consider it at this price.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Considering this. Has been for sale for a while. Thoughts?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/609149993.html

Ron
I know nothing about Esprits - but seeing those photos makes me want one!

You also have to consider the color scheme on this car--the white over bright red is a love it or hate it combo......very early '80s.
Funny you should say that - I don't normally like white cars but think that this one looks great :shrug:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I agree with the previous well-informed replies.

My '86 (with injection) was still a money pit; your experience may not be as bad as mine was, but I wouldn't recommend an old Esprit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts