The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I read somewhere (maybe here) that the G body for USA front end rides 'higher' than the Euro due to 'safety requirements'? If correct, is there a good US source for 'Euro' springs? The tire to fender gap bugs the crap out of me. It's like 'camel toe' for cars.... Also, any other front end 'refreshing' recommended while I'm in there?

Thanks...

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,321 Posts
Sorry, I can't say about the G cars...

I've seen a few lowered (all around) so you should be able to do something about the wheel gap.

I DO know that the early Stevens cars were fitted with a spacer above the REAR springs, supposedly to meet bumper-height requirements. I left my spacers in place, as the 'rake' induces downforce at speed...making a rear wing unecessary. :evil:

rotfl

·
Super Moderator
4,184 Posts
I think I read somewhere (maybe here) that the G body for USA front end rides 'higher' than the Euro due to 'safety requirements'? If correct, is there a good US source for 'Euro' springs? The tire to fender gap bugs the crap out of me. It's like 'camel toe' for cars.... Also, any other front end 'refreshing' recommended while I'm in there?

Thanks...
I can't find it right now (this website's search capability is really frustrating).

But there is a thread here SOMEWHERE that talks about the Esprit ride height and yes, the US Federal versions did have higher heights.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Atwell - I believe you have that backwards. The spacers are inserted in the G-cars (and some S-cars) to get the front bumper up to the US mandated height. That's why many cars look like their nose is sniffing up. I've only had a few cars suspensions part, but I have never seen a spacer in the rear.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,321 Posts
Atwell - I believe you have that backwards. The spacers are inserted in the G-cars (and some S-cars) to get the front bumper up to the US mandated height. That's why many cars look like their nose is sniffing up. I've only had a few cars suspensions part, but I have never seen a spacer in the rear.
Look at an '88 - '92 Esprit parts manual, sheet 31.03A.
#60A, is a 12mm (1/2") spacer on the rear spring's lower seat. :no:

I agree that the G-car's nose looked higher than "normal". Not nearly as high as some Federal Europas, though! :UK:

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Looks like you're right on the rear, but there is definitely a spacer in the front that was added for bumper regulations, easy to remove. I've pulled a few out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I believe the only difference in springs is whether or not the car was equipped with A/C. I have an 83 and I can tell you the first problem you will have in trying to lower the front is having the shock bottom out. You can lower the front about 3/4" max with the stock shock.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
4,184 Posts
Look at an '88 - '92 Esprit parts manual, sheet 31.03A.
#60A, is a 12mm (1/2") spacer on the rear spring's lower seat. :no:

[snip]
Here's my 88 while working on my OZ Futura wheels - I don't see any spacers? Maybe the front space hidden in top area?

Bottom rear shock:

Top rear shock:

Front top shock:

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,321 Posts
... there is definitely a spacer in the front that was added for bumper regulations, easy to remove. I've pulled a few out.
HeeHee Don, did you pull them out of my '88 when you owned it? :eek:

I've had my front shock/spring assembly out to switch between sides, but I've not taken it apart. I've disassembled one S4 front to install the factory Lotus/Bilstein suspension kit, but it was several years ago, can't remember any spacer. We didn't have any leftover parts on the floor when we finished, either. :up:

+++++++++++++++++++

Getting back to Elfer's '83, I didn't see a front suspension spacer called out in the G-car parts book. :shrug:

·
Registered
206 Posts
On my "modern" Focus, the spacer ("coil spring isolator") goes at the top of the spring, and is hidden up inside the hole. It doesn't just "drop out" when you remove the springs, as it's wedged in there fairly tight.

My car absolutely needs new shocks and springs (it failed PA Inspection for that reason and a few others...like the smashed windscreen, the leaking cam cover gasket, and the ruined left side motor mount), and I have contacted this company, whose owner replied to me incredibly quickly:

Classic car suspension springs

The owner emailed me back and told me they would custom-make me a set of four springs in, and I quote, "any height, any size, any spring rate", for 190 GBP with an additional 60-ish GBP for shipping to my address in Pennsylvania (near Philadelphia). At today's 1.64/dollar exchange rate, that amounts to around $410 for all four springs custom manufactured and wound, shipped. Not too shabby.

They maintain a database of stock (including Esprit) spring winding/rates, and can make lowering spring that, at least according to their web site and their owner, do more than just look nice--they are lowered with performance in mind, not just trailer queens and show cars that never see a bumpy, frost-rippled stretch of asphalt.

Cheers,

Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts