The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and thanks to those that respond, I would like to replace all 4 sealed beam bulbs with a standard replacement, I don't want to modify just replace, I was wondering if anyone had a part number and website, other then buying the lotus boxed lights from the usual sources, my search as found nothing - I really liked the sylvania silverstars I put in my corvette, but I can't seem to find a cross for the lotus to them or anything.
thanks - Tom

·
Registered
320 Posts
I bought a couple of sets of these lights for my 1983 from a ebay seller:-

5 3/4" H5001 H5006 H1 H4 EURO CONVERSION HEADLIGHTS SET | eBay

I am normally fussy about having the correct OEM brand of headlights on my vehicles, but on the Esprit they are retracted from view during the daytime and when they are lit at night you cant make out whether they are Cibie or Lucas anyways.

The Autopal lights put out a great light pattern, alot better than the crummy federally mandated sealed beams Lotus had to use on the North American Esprits.

Remember to make sure the drain holes in the bottom of the headlamp nacelles are open, If they get blocked water will pool in there and the headlamps will be imersed in water when they are in the retracted position, which will lead to corroded reflectors on your new light units.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,710 Posts
A cost-effective upgrade is to go with Halogen sealed beams. These provide a whiter light while still being DOT legal.

And OBTW, if you adjust the low beams to spec so that they don't blind oncoming traffic, you can also adjust the high beam up and out a little, so as to get a higher, wider lighting pattern when the high beams are on (a 'perk' of quad headlights).

·
Registered
678 Posts
Somewhere else on this forum it was mentioned that Sylvania Xtravision bulbs are good replacements. The post mentioned to make sure you get the Xtravision beams as they are brighter than standard beams without the annoying blue tint of many European lights.

Use H5006 (low beam) and H5001 (high beam), approx $15 each @ most auto part stores. I'm gonna get them for my '83

1 - 5 of 5 Posts