The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well boys....it finally happened....I got another broken Lotus....
:)

This one seems even more special somehow. It satisfies my longing for a wedge shaped car that has existed since I was a very small boy.

The car came with the engine deposited in the bay via front end loader. There was about a gallon of water in the cylinders and exhaust. The downside of picking up projects from Houston...The motor still turns over smoothly so I think I might have gotten lucky on this one.

It looks better in the pics than it is in person, the paint is pretty rough. I keep telling myself about the lessons I learned with the twin cam Europa....Just get it running first....don't paint it yet you fool....

There was a bit of an adventure retrieving this car. The pilot bearing in my truck had been ticking for a little while. I had bought a new clutch and pressure plate in anticipation, but I kept putting it off because....why not? Well now it was truly sounding bad. I promised myself I would change it when I got back. I picked the car up without too much fuss. Halfway back I lost the ability to change gear via the clutch, so I had to rely on rev matching. This was fine until I hit rush hour traffic in Dallas....I saw the sea of red lights on the horizon and I prepared for an arduous several hours. I made some space and rolled down the road crunching gears as infrequently as possible....my clutch began to judder a bit when being lugged. Somehow I made it through the mess and decided to take the back road to my house. Only one stoplight remained between myself and wedgey glory...As I exited toward the final stretch of road my pilot bearing made a KLJSDFKLJSDKLJFKLJADS;FKLJASD;LKFJAS sound which I initially mistook for all the teeth of every gear simultaneously shearing off and recirculating in the transmission. It was the sound of the little balls freeing themselves and smashing all the clutch springs to pieces! I was coasting uphill at 40 mph keenly aware that I would not be making it home without assistance. I tried a lower gear and to my surprise I could still get some power to the rear tires at low revs! At a crawl, I towed my red prize over the dark Texas road with a train of annoyed headlights behind me. Up the hill....down the hill....up the hill....down the hill....I approached my final hurdle...the stop light! As I neared the glowing green beacon a wave of despair came over me..my luck had just run out. I would not make it before the light changed. It was there my truck came to rest like Pheidippides proclaiming victory at marathon...but alas I was still one mile away.

Luckily my neglect and wrong doing was not met with real consequence. It was a Casey Anthony style verdict for me...a light skim on the flywheel and she should be up and running again to tow another broken Lotus!

The little kiddo in the pic is my nephew....he approves!
Modify message
Smile Car Sky Vehicle Cloud

Attachments

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Congrats and have fun with it!

·
4,403 Posts
86 Turbo Esprit - Bosch CIS fuel injection - I can't see any of the major components in the pictures. Hopefully they are in a box somewhere as that could tough to locate those parts. Also don't see the Citroen C35 transaxle anywhere?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a pic of how the engine came to me. The transaxle came with the car thankfully. It turns over and shifts smoothly. Unfortunately the intake and fuel injection stuff is all missing. I have a lead on a plenum chamber and an intake. Who out there has run an aftermarket ECU on these cars? I am interested in doing electronic ignition and having the other benefits of a stand alone. I'm also considering running a chargecooler set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Bosch k-jet systems don't lend themselves to aftermarket ECUs. Since you don't have the Bosch components, you may be better off trying to find a GM injection system from a later car, or go with something completely aftermarket.

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
1,000 Posts
@Chuck Nukem
Here's my Esprit Megasquirt project:

If you can find a (carbureted, pre-86) intake manifold section that bolts to the head, you're welcome to my Ver 1.0 plenum/runners for the price of shipping. Most of the early 9XX manifolds had bosses (originally for vacuum lines) that work well for injectors. Several vendors make a DCOE pattern throttle body with integrated fuel rails, which means less fabrication, but the injectors are going to be farther up the intake tract.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Snowrx! I think I have a lead on a factory plenum and runners. I will certainly keep you in mind if that falls through.

I have lots to be thankful for this year! Everything is looking good so far! I was trying my best to wait til my S2 Europa and Eclat are wrapped up before tearing in to this engine...patience is not my strong suit....

@Chuck Nukem
Here's my Esprit Megasquirt project:

If you can find a (carbureted, pre-86) intake manifold section that bolts to the head, you're welcome to my Ver 1.0 plenum/runners for the price of shipping. Most of the early 9XX manifolds had bosses (originally for vacuum lines) that work well for injectors. Several vendors make a DCOE pattern throttle body with integrated fuel rails, which means less fabrication, but the injectors are going to be farther up the intake tract.

Attachments

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
1,000 Posts
Or you could save time and just jump in at the very end of the project :unsure:

Hoping to see how your car turns out!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is what the smart money would do.... :) I have learned that lesson a few times and yet here we are again.

This car was advertised on the forum if I am not mistaken. What a breathtaking execution.... It is an inspiration. I am going to be pursuing similar avenues regarding the brake set up and some carbon additions in the future.

·
4,403 Posts
[ Unfortunately the intake and fuel injection stuff is all missing. [snip]
Do you have the large ECU jack and harness still? If you're missing that, it'll be hard to find.

I actually have a brand new 88 CIS 'ECU' when Lotus was selling off some parts through the Lotus Forums about 8-10 years ago. It was in case my late 88 Esprit Turbo needed one. They don't usually go bad and I think there are some folks on this forum that have spares. I think I paid $600 for mine back in 2013 (?) but not sure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I got lucky....The liners appear to be aluminum/nikasil and the pistons appear to be 910 HC variants. I think I got to it just in time. There is no scoring or step in the liners.

Don't take your turbo off and leave your car under a tree ladies and gents.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Update. I should have checked the block number first.... It reads LN 910 93 11 28377 C. Looks like I have a newer block which explains the lack of intake. New question. Has anyone on the forum gone down the road of retrofitting a later block in to the S3? Should my transaxle be afraid? I might need to look at that reverse CWP....

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
1,000 Posts
I was wondering why you had the round tooth cam pullies.

I think the deck height changed slightly with the move to aluminum liners, so you might want to check head gasket thickness before assembly. Other than a knock sensor boss, and a different hole tapped for the eccentric style tensioner on the later block, I think they're pretty interchangeable.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
It depends on what you want to do with the different block. If you want to run carbs or Bosch injection, you won't have any problems. If you want to use the later GM based fuel injection, you will have problems. Wheels, brakes and gearbox are the primary areas you will want to address. With potentially 50% more horsepower available, you will need to address at least the front brakes. Your front suspension should have lower A-arms, so you won't need frame changes. Stiffer springs and shocks will be needed to control dive. Moving to a different gearbox means moving to outboard brakes at the rear, whether it's a later Renault UN1 or something else. Going with larger brakes means your wheels will be too small, so you will need something else there.

The GM engine management system will need different wiring harnesses under the dash and in the rear compartment, along with all of the additional sensors, as well as at least one wheel speed sensor at the rear. The passenger side fuel tank is different for the in-tank fuel pump. If you go all the way and run a charge cooler, a plumbing solution will need to be found for it. Lotus put the chargecooler radiator in the space filled by the '86 oil cooler and ran tubes through the box section of the frame for plumbing. The holes for those tubes don't exist in the '86 frame. Regardless, I would also recommend either a larger oil cooler up front, or going to the split oil coolers ahead of the front wheels like Lotus used. Parts exist for the Lotus solution, a custom setup would require some engineering and fabrication.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Mike! I do plan to keep the C35 box. I will likely have to do the RCWP and might as well do a limited slip while I'm there. Luckily I have some experience machining brake caliper brackets for the Europa. I am working on a set of front/rear 4 piston wilwood calipers that incorporate the parking brake at the rear. I hope to do something similar for the Esprit eventually. I 3d scanned the rear brake bracket and it looks like a radially mounted 4 piston wilwood will fit. The fronts shouldn't be too bad. I'd like to do floating rotors on it if possible. Does anyone currently make aluminum front hubs for the esprit? I am working on one for the Europa, but it is still in progress. I am turning down the factory hat off the rotor and milling in features to take floating AP hardware.

Do you think I will need to run the GM fuel pump if I switch? Right now I am leaning toward the Delphi as I don't have any of the Bosch stuff. A charge cooler would be neat... I will probably try to get it running as is and add one down the road.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts