2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
5,503 Posts
Looks great, :cool:

BUT

We had a 1976 Audi Fox with Bosch FI, and it came with SS hoses from the factory. And a couple started leaking over the 90K miles we had that car.

:sad:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The fuel lines should be fine. Just be careful in routing them. The S/S is VERY abrasive and if alongside wires or rubber hoses it will chew through them. You also have to be careful not to bend them sharply or kink them.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm a little less excited about braided lines after one of my brake lines sprung a leak today at 70mph, having the pedal go to the floor in traffic is not fun. Although, they are about 10 years old and have seen plenty of track time.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I think they look great, those plastic fuel lines scare me. Everytime I drive my Esprit, if I smell anything odd the first thing I do is look in the rearview to see if the engine is smoking out of the vents. Which is sometimes is, but its a small oil leak at the cam tower bases.

I almost bought some SS fuel lines from a Bosch FI'd VW in a local junkyard, but the place only takes cash and when I was there and took them off I only had so much cash on me and I was there for something for my wifes car that was more vital, so I was SOL. I think I could of made them fit my Esprit though.

·
Integrator
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Super Moderator
3,776 Posts
Do you have a photo of the Goodridge lines installed? I'm curious how you routed the lines since the OEM were molded with curves and stuff.

A moot question of sorts - I take it there is no modern alternative to the molded plastic fuel lines?

I'm OK with black Goodridge lines for replacing old Bosch lines, but having a difficult time envisioning how to do all the 'PCB' style of bends and turns of the OEM lines with Goodridge lines?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Seems to me if you are that worried about your fuel lines, you should try making them out of metal. Yes, making the first set would be a LOT of work but once you have the pattern it shouldn't be difficult to have them made up. Plenty of companies that will make fuel lines up for you. Metal ones are probably the best choice, even if there is a fire the lines would hold up far longer than plastic or braided S/S. For the ultimate in fire safety get an automatic fire extinguishing system. A couple of nozzles in the engine bay and one under the dash.
David Teitelbaum

·
Super Moderator
3,776 Posts
Seems to me if you are that worried about your fuel lines, you should try making them out of metal. [snip]
I drove my 88 on the original plastic OEM lines from 2011-2014 and they were in great shape given the storage condition and mild California weather.

However, I'm anticipating another older Esprit and 25+ year old lines only need to be refreshed to non-metal lines like OEM. No need to go metal.

·
Integrator
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, I used two sources for my fuel lines.
1. Specialtauto for larger diameter lines like between pumps, filter, accumulator and feed+return from the fuel distributor.

2. The lines between injectors, WUR and (small diameter) were done by Greg Brown, from J2 Precision, phone (714) 447-4700. He has all kind of Goodrige parts/lines/fittings on hand.
Mine are 700-series lines, red (he has other colors, too). These are Aramide lines, much thinner and more flexible. Also, he has the right fittings in stock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts