The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am very new to this Lotus forum as I am a Porsche guy who is thinking about making the change. I absolutely love 40th anniversary editions and there happens to be one nearby that seems clean. I have had issues with Bosch's jetronic system before although I have a shop that rebuilds the units (I was left stranded on the side of the road for 3 hours in 100 degree weather, not fun). One part of me is saying to get the SE as it gets rid of the jetronic and has an intercooler/chargecooler along with more power, while my other side says to get the older 40th anniversary just because its beautiful. What do you guys think? Were there any 40th anniversary editions that were SE's? What else should I think about or look for?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,503 Posts
The Commemorative Editions were all 1988s. They were NOT SEs. AFAIK that is the only year to get the blue Alacantra interior, along with its roof mounted sound system.

There was a batch of North American Commemorative cars (with Citroen transmissions). The rest of the world got their own batch and they had Renault transmissions. Where are you looking?

If you have a nearby shop familiar with K Jetronic FI they could assure that it works fine. The Usual Lotus Parts Suspects have sourced almost all the unique Lotus KJet parts you would need. (Factory Lotus shop manuals specify the K Jet differences)

The GM MPFI cars have their own quirks. That said, if you want the extra power (and YEAH, your butt dyno can feel it) get an S4 or S4s.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Commemorative Editions were all 1988s. They were NOT SEs. AFAIK that is the only year to get the blue Alacantra interior, along with its roof mounted sound system.

There was a batch of North American Commemorative cars (with Citroen transmissions). The rest of the world got their own batch and they had Renault transmissions. Where are you looking?

If you have a nearby shop familiar with K Jetronic FI they could assure that it works fine. The Usual Lotus Parts Suspects have sourced almost all the unique Lotus KJet parts you would need. (Factory Lotus shop manuals specify the K Jet differences)

The GM MPFI cars have their own quirks. That said, if you want the extra power (and YEAH, your butt dyno can feel it) get an S4 or S4s.
I am looking for a U.S spec car and I am looking to drive it a lot. Where is the jetronic module located? Is it easy to get to? What quirks do they have over an se? Are the Citroen transmissions that much more fragile than the Renault? I see you own an 88, how has your experience been?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,503 Posts
The WUR (Warm Up Regulator, AKA Control Pressure Regulator) is right on top of the engine.

The fuel distributor (Lotus-only) is underneath the air filter box.

The biggest issue is that parking a car for months with modern ethanol fuels COULD cause corrosion. Our '88 has been driven constantly, so it has 100K miles on it. I HAVE replaced some FI parts but the car has been reliable overall, only left me stranded once for the issue, below.

The Citroen transaxles suffer from input bearing failure, but that can be fixed either pro-actively, or when it fails (which is a good time to do the bearing/circlip fix).

There are Buyer's Guides on LotusEspritWorld.com, give it a read before buying any Esprit...and be wary of differences in equipment of various markets.

Reactions: VWgolfr

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

Ummmm what ? Age is finally catching up with you there Atwell, It was not the only year to get that baby blue interior (I've seen two in Canada, a 90 and a 91 both SE's) it was not Alcantra it was a combination of two-tone Blue Connelly hide and Gray pigskin. Also neither of mine had a roof mounted sound system (they couldn't as another unique feature of them was the glass roof) none of the 88 commemorative editions did, though they were equipped with a nice Sony 10 disc system with a separate equalizer that looked great at night with its multitude of visual displays. If the OP is looking at the one recently posted on Ebay then be aware its not 100% original, they came with a matched elm three piece dash which on that one has been replaced with a mask.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ummmm what ? Age is finally catching up with you there Atwell, It was not the only year to get that baby blue interior (I've seen two in Canada, a 90 and a 91 both SE's) it was not Alcantra it was a combination of two-tone Blue Connelly hide and Gray pigskin. Also neither of mine had a roof mounted sound system (they couldn't as another unique feature of them was the glass roof) none of the 88 commemorative editions did, though they were equipped with a nice Sony 10 disc system with a separate equalizer that looked great at night with its multitude of visual displays. If the OP is looking at the one recently posted on Ebay then be aware its not 100% original, they came with a matched elm three piece dash which on that one has been replaced with a mask.
I figured something was up with that car as it is missing the rear glass which I believe was on all turbos. I called the seller and he was very rude, he told me he had no service records for the car which is ridiculous. If someone could find me an SE with that interior I would be willing to pay a finders fee, that would be my dream lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The WUR (Warm Up Regulator, AKA Control Pressure Regulator) is right on top of the engine.

The fuel distributor (Lotus-only) is underneath the air filter box.

The biggest issue is that parking a car for months with modern ethanol fuels COULD cause corrosion. Our '88 has been driven constantly, so it has 100K miles on it. I HAVE replaced some FI parts but the car has been reliable overall, only left me stranded once for the issue, below.

The Citroen transaxles suffer from input bearing failure, but that can be fixed either pro-actively, or when it fails (which is a good time to do the bearing/circlip fix).

There are Buyer's Guides on LotusEspritWorld.com, give it a read before buying any Esprit...and be wary of differences in equipment of various markets.

I appreciate that Atwell, very useful information.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Hopefully, this post allows me to post inquiries on the classifieds. Nt a game player, just looking for the right car(s)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I figured something was up with that car as it is missing the rear glass which I believe was on all turbos. I called the seller and he was very rude, he told me he had no service records for the car which is ridiculous. If someone could find me an SE with that interior I would be willing to pay a finders fee, that would be my dream lol.
Nothing up with it, another feature of the 88 commemorative edition was the flat deck lid (no glassback)

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,503 Posts
Age is finally catching up with you there Atwell,
Thanks, Colin! :ROFLMAO:
You KNOW that I don't try to remember the specifications of cars with rear WINGS, right? <---running gag

++++++++++++

Anyway, good luck finding a pearl white SE with blue interior. There were not many made.

++++++++++++

There are several owners here (long-time owners) who drive Bosch FI cars. @sleekgt or (if you want to 'mod' one) @MRDANGERUS are the most prominent.

MrD created this Topic dealing with the quirks of K-Jet in the Esprit. Long, but worth a read.:

Reactions: VWgolfr

·
Super Moderator
4,287 Posts
Please take a look at 'My Showcase' for my late 88 and current 87 Bosch CIS Esprit experiences.
I drove the late 88 50K miles/49 months (2011-2015) and current drive an 87 Turbo Esprit (the Giugiaro bodied version).

·
Super Moderator
4,287 Posts
[snip]I called the seller and he was very rude, he told me he had no service records for the car which is ridiculous.[snip]
In 2011, my late 88 had 30K miles - seller was 3rd owner; no records except for previous 2 years that he owned it.
The car was in excellent condition cosmetically and mechanically EXCEPT the service C was neglected.

I did talk to the mechanic who serviced it those 2 years - he gave thumbs up and noted the work that needed to be done.

Lastly, the car passed CA smog without incident - indicating to me there were no major mechanical issues in the engine (otherwise, the smog test would easily fail if low compression, bad valves, etc.).

I had all that done BEFORE I committed to buying the car.
RE: 88 commemorative - yes - it's a cool car; SE is definitely more powerful, but if you're going just be a cruiser like me, the 88 is fine. The SE has 264 HP and definitely more powerful and most people like the GM EFI.

But I'm still with a Bosch CIS system - had previously good experience so it's fine for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In 2011, my late 88 had 30K miles - seller was 3rd owner; no records except for previous 2 years that he owned it.
The car was in excellent condition cosmetically and mechanically EXCEPT the service C was neglected.

I did talk to the mechanic who serviced it those 2 years - he gave thumbs up and noted the work that needed to be done.

Lastly, the car passed CA smog without incident - indicating to me there were no major mechanical issues in the engine (otherwise, the smog test would easily fail if low compression, bad valves, etc.).

I had all that done BEFORE I committed to buying the car.
RE: 88 commemorative - yes - it's a cool car; SE is definitely more powerful, but if you're going just be a cruiser like me, the 88 is fine. The SE has 264 HP and definitely more powerful and most people like the GM EFI.

But I'm still with a Bosch CIS system - had previously good experience so it's fine for me.
I appreciate the insight, what is the more reliable car? The 88 or the SE?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,503 Posts
They both have their quirks.

Not PROBLEMS...IDIOSYNCRASIES. :ROFLMAO:

And @esprit888 , one of the reasons I have a bad memory is from being CLONKED by the wings on the later Esrits I help maintain.
I'm sure of it.
What were we talking about again???? :sleep:

·
Registered
574 Posts
I just lost a bid on an s4s on eBay, still looking. Unable to post to classifieds here.
You should be happy that you didn't win that car, unless you are a mechanic. That car needs a lot of work. Fuel tanks needs to be replaced and that's an engine out job. There is so much rust underneath the car. The springs and suspension need to be replaced as well. All the gear linkage is also rusted.

·
Super Moderator
4,287 Posts
Technically, the SE has more parts (chargecooler, plumbing, pump) and more theoretically can go wrong.

The 88 and SE 89-93 are nearly 30 or more years old. After decades, reliability is driven more by previous owner's upkeep (or lack thereof).

SEs have 264 HP vs 215 for the 88. For the money, pick the best condition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Technically, the SE has more parts (chargecooler, plumbing, pump) and more theoretically can go wrong.

The 88 and SE 89-93 are nearly 30 or more years old. After decades, reliability is driven more by previous owner's upkeep (or lack thereof).

SEs have 264 HP vs 215 for the 88. For the money, pick the best condition.
That makes sense, thank you!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts