The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The owner of the body shop that painted my black '83 gave me the contact information about a one owner 1988 Turbo Esprit for sale just northeast of St Paul. I drove up to take a look at the car this afternoon and it is probably the nicest '88 I have seen in a long time. It's not quite a time capsule, but it is about as close as you can get. This is a one-owner car with just over 15k miles on the clock. It has not run for the last 5 years or so, so it will need recommissioning. I would recommend flush & fill all fluids, belts, tensioner bearing, hoses, suspension bushes, tires, and rebuilds to the hydraulics. Clutch and brake fluids are pretty dark, so plan on rebuilding the clutch master and slave cylinders and at least the brake calipers. In spite of living in Minnesota, the car has not seen snow and ice, and from the look of the frame, it hasn't seen much rain either. The drivers side rear quarter window seal is starting to pull away, the passenger side looks like new. I wasn't able to open the rear hatch. You could hear and feel the latches release, but the gas struts are probably spent and the rear hatch seal has a good grip on the rain gutter. I didn't have any tools handy to try and work the hatch free. Given the condition of the rest of the car, I don't expect there to be any surprises. The battery is either dead or missing, and I couldn't try a charger on it to check out the electricals. This car does not leak. Paint is in excellent shape, with some road rash on the leading edges of the lower ducts and one spot on the driver's door that rubs on the trailing edge of the front bodywork. There is some minor tearing on the inner door seal on the driver's side. It has a composite top and the wind deflector is with the car. The interior will clean up nicely. Both seats are in great shape - not even any wear to the driver's seat bolster. I have no financial interest in the car, but would like to see it go to a good owner. It's not the best time to be selling the car, but there is plenty of room to back a trailer to the garage and haul it out. I would be happy to answer any questions, and I can take another look at the car if anyone has any specific questions/concerns that I may have overlooked. I can bring a jack or two to get a better look at the underside next time. Contact Sarah ([email protected]) for more information.

20191207_140217.jpg
20191207_140226.jpg
20191207_140246.jpg
20191207_140304.jpg
20191207_140317.jpg
20191207_140353.jpg
20191207_140403.jpg
20191207_140431.jpg
20191207_140552.jpg
20191207_140707.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would of been all over this 12 months ago, sadly I have no room in the garage. Hopefully a knowledgeable and sympathetic buyer comes along and preserves the patina during recommissioning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts