The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I want to get some of my interior rattles taken care of so Im going to be getting into my instrument panel and tightening everything back there...

I found Sajn's page here: '90-'97 Esprit binnacle removal regarding binnacle removal on 90 -97 cars... It explains how to take the top cover part of the binnacle off, leaving the instruments in place still... is there a way to take the whole instrument cluster off as an assembly, as shown in the LEW instructions for earlier cars here?: Esprit Binnacle Removal
I dont have immediate access to my car or else I would be out experimenting... but I also dont want to screw anything up by trying to remove a piece that actually isnt meant to come off :)

Thanks!
Jamie

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
89 Binnacle

On my non-SE 1989 Esprit you cannot remove the top of the binnacle or "binnacle cover" as shown on Sanj's page. That approach only works for the SE. On the non-SE Stevens cars the binnacle is one piece. It's a bit of work to get it out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You have to remove the top cover first and then you can remove the rest of the cluster.There are 4 nuts that hold the cluster in place,2 from the top and 2 underneath.Be careful not to apply too much force on the windshield when removing the cover.You must be patient as it is easy to wedge in place.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Sanj, do you happen to know if that center bolt that is holding on the cover is a standard bolt that can be picked up at a home depot or something? Or is it some special lotus thing? I dont have my parts manuals readily accessible here...

Jamie

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It's an M6 x 75mm

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you!

just remembered i had the parts manual as a pdf on my phone! I cannot for the life of me find where that bolt appears in the manual? on teh page with the binnacle, there is no mention of it at all. strange.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, finally got under my dash...

the problem im having right now, and the cause of a lot of rattles, is the fact that if i grip my binnacle cover near the window and pull forward towards the driver seat, the whole thing tilts forward as if the third bolt isnt holding the cover on or something.

I finally got under there today to replace the bolt that it was "missing" and low and behold, there was already a bolt in there... and tightly in there i might add... i didnt unscrew it because i dont want to screw anything up before asking you folks who have done this stuff before.... what does that bolt actually screw into on the binnacle cover itself? are there any pictures of the threaded portion on the cover?

Jamie

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I unscrewed it once, but I couldn't get it all the way out with the gauge cluster in the way. Fortunately I didn't need to at the time. I wish I could remember exactly how it was held on, but it was easy to get loose. What I wanted to contribute is to do yourself a favor and remove the driver's seat when doing this work. It's only 4 bolts and it makes it much easier to get under there.

1998 Lotus Esprit V8

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Jamie, the long bolt screws into one of those rubber threaded wellnuts which is a slip fit into the binnacle cover. It's entirely possible the rubber has given way, but the brass threaded part is still attached to the bolt.

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
On the Velocity channel's Wheeler Dealers Wednesday, 7/18, Edd China pulls a binnacle on an S3 (I think). I don't remember how much detail they show for that part of the car's repairs.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
On the Velocity channel's Wheeler Dealers Wednesday, 7/18, Edd China pulls a binnacle on an S3 (I think). I don't remember how much detail they show for that part of the car's repairs.
Not a lot, and it's quite a bit different of a binnacle from the SE:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the one in that thread is an 88... where the whole thing comes out as one unit and doesnt have the seperate removable cover...

I did get under the dash this past weekend and figured out that it is just as Sanj mentioned... the rubber grommet with the brass threaded wellnut part that should be mounted to the binnacle cover is still threaded the end of the long bolt ... the rubber stuff is mangled and has slipped from the binnacle cover itself leaving the rear side of the binnacle free to just bounce all over the place and rattle..

solution:
remove binnacle cover
remove shredded rubber from end of brass wellnut still stuck on bolt
remove wellnut from bolt
insert wellnut back into binnacle cover and epoxy/cement back into place
remount binnacle cover
"assume lotus position" and tighten third bolt under dash

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
for those who like pictures, here is the wellnut still threaded on the end of the end of the bolt and the rubber grommet is stuck on the end of that:

In this picture you can see the larger hole on the right where this wellnut should mount into:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts