The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend needs a brake booster for his 1990 SE Esprit. Are there any cross references or direct replacements?

Thanks,
Robert

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Are you taking about the accumulator?

·
Registered
860 Posts
most Se esprits need a accumulator after some time. there is a cross reference for a different GM part. It's about $100.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An accumulator as in the ABS system? I remember this was a problem and they were hard to find. I'll have to get some more information from him.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Is he sure he needs the vacuum booster? Or does he just think it is bad because his brake pedal is very difficult to push?

The mechanical vacuum pump on the Esprit SE often goes out and the result is that it becomes difficult to brake, the heater control flaps quit working, and the throttle jack and EBPV valve will not work correctly.

The vacuum pump is easy to replace and costs about $100 from NAPA.

Also the system should be checked for a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a very good question Vulcan but he said he could feel it pulling vacuum if he placed his thumb over the hose but I will ask him about that.

He did say when the hose was pulled off there was no 'Swish' noise like the vacuum was escaping. I'm going to ask him your question though just to be sure and will post back.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is he sure he needs the vacuum booster? Or does he just think it is bad because his brake pedal is very difficult to push?
Yes, that is the problem. He did check the vacuum and the pump is working fine. It's been my experience with boosters when the pedal gets rock hard they are not working. I was wondering if the check valve could be bad not allowing the booster to hold vacuum? Told him to take it to an autoparts store to see if they can match one up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Complete Brake booster

I need one too, for an 89, any info is greatly appreciated
I have a spare one from about ' MY90, in almost new condition in South Africa, complete brake booster, coupling shaft, master cylinder and fluid Dual Cylinder. Came from a car that was stipped for export in "kit" form, but was never exported, and many parts purchased. Can supply pictures.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,943 Posts
The link to the 8-year-old TLF Topic is in Post 3.

Are the numbers mentioned therein no longer valid? Even if you cross-reference them at Rock Auto or call NAPA?

Remember, many of the parts mentioned are European-only. So, you may not be able to source them from NAPA.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
If it turns out the booster is bad there is a guy calling himself "Booster Dewey" and he rebuilds brake boosters. You can google him.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 17 of 17 Posts