The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Been lurking for some time.

I had a red / gray 89 SE several years ago.

Last week i purchased a green 1990 Esprit SE from an auction that just begged to be saved.

I am having a heck of a time finding a radiator tank cap for the car.

The other issue is one of the front indicator / turn signal lenses is broken, and i would like to find the half amber / half clear ones the Euro spec cars have.

I have been unable to locate any of either type, and could use some help with part numbers or what car the lenses came from.

Thank you .

·
Registered
530 Posts
Have you called JAE?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I know JAE stocks the blanking cap for the header tank, as I just replaced mine. The indicator lights he might have, but check Dave Bean Engineering also.
Artie

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Just so you know, the white/orange lenses are not a direct replacement for the USA orange lenses. The mounting holes are not spaced the same, and the bosses the screws pass through have to be shortened.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just so you know, the white/orange lenses are not a direct replacement for the USA orange lenses. The mounting holes are not spaced the same, and the bosses the screws pass through have to be shortened.
Did not know that, thank you so much for sharing that with me.

Thanks to all of you for the replies. I will make a few calls and see what i can find.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On my 89 SE - I used:
Blanking Cap Coolant Header tank (Stant 11232)
Radiator Cap Chargecooler tank (Stant 11228)

I did have to 'trim' the tabs on the 11232 to be a bit narrower - been running fine for 4+ years
awesome. i understand trimming the ears down. i think i had to do that on the 89 SE i had, 6 years ago. I have a 911 and a Ferrari 308, so working on my cars is like part time job!

·
Registered
744 Posts
On my 89 SE - I used:
Blanking Cap Coolant Header tank (Stant 11232)
Radiator Cap Chargecooler tank (Stant 11228)

I did have to 'trim' the tabs on the 11232 to be a bit narrower - been running fine for 4+ years

So, why not add this to the LOTUS ESPRIT CROSS REFERENCE?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have part numbers? If so, I can check fast for you...have a lot of SE parts in stock.
I will look for part numbers. i am interested in a drivers door handle, 2 fuel tanks,( used is fine) 2 front indicator lenses,( used ok) blow off valve kit, and the electric charge cooler install kit. Then perhaps a performance chip.

My car has x180r wheels on it, which to me are ugly. I am hoping to find a set of v8 wheels and have them machined to fit.

red SE is my former car, green one just arrived.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
You're right those wheels don't look very good on the dark colored car but I'd be interested in them as spares for my X180R if they are the correct X180R size.

Dave

05 Elise
91 X180R #17
89 Esprit SE
78 Esprit S1

·
Registered
184 Posts
R.D Enterprises (r.d. enterprises ltd. Home Page) has a pair of used handles for $149, but the flaps are chrome. I see the mangled door handle in the pic of your new car, so I don't guess you could just replace the flap, but maybe refinish the chrome ones. I plan to take mine out and paint them to match the body color at some point anyway.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just added a blow off valve to mine. I try to do two things whenever I make a change. A) Make it completely reversible, and B) Make it easy to maintain going forward. I accomplished both of these and it was pretty easy. I used the BOV from the Porsche Turbo (good to over 20psi) that has been in service for over a decade now so it has a proven record of reliability. Compared to aftermarket BOVs, the downsides are that 1) it's not adjustable (but it works great on my car as is and 2) it's a replacement item as opposed to servicable, so when the diaphram wears out, the whole unit gets replaced. Still, it's under $60 online and easily available locally from most auto parts places and VW/Porsche/Audi dealers for a little more, and sourcing should be no problem for the forseeable future.

To make it completely reversible, I replaced the straight hose between the turbo and the intake plenum feed tube with a silicone 50mm T-hose with a 25mm oulet. The BOV uses the 25mm outlet and could go directly into the T outlet, but I used a short piece of high pressure (175psi should do it!) Parker HVAC hose to get the BOV away from the heat of the turbo. I took my vacuum feed from the hose at the fuel rail, and fed the output of the BOV back into the airbox where my green crankcase ventilation used to feed before I installed an oil catch tank. Before doing that, I tested just venting the BOV into the engine bay and it worked great that way as well if you're still feeding the crankcase vent into the airbox.

Some time ago, I did the ram air mod, and after almost reversed it because I HATED the sound of compressor surge. Not only could I now hear the life being beaten out of my turbo very loudly, but it was annoying also. Now, I just hear huge volumes of air being shoved through the system...very cool now. By the way, if you want a noisy BOV, this isn't for you. It doesn't make any loud psst sounds. The plumbing setup would work, but you'd want another valve. This valve is all steak, no sizzle. If you're interested, let me know and I'll post pics / part specs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts