The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No connection, blah blah.

It's based in Bellevue, Washington.

Not suppose to put URL here but it's on the bringatrailer site.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Saw it come up , man is that car beat up, not a panel on it that doesn't have paint damage so looking 15 to 18k to start, the corrosion on the inside shows shes been parked outside in the rainy state for quite a while. The overall condition and inop speedo implies a much a higher mileage than shown, i cant help but wonder why someone would let such a rare car get this bad, then hand it over to a dealer who is looking to make a killing (nothing against Park Place, I've used them in the past)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah
It looks like they drove it through the forest.
Looks badass though. No telling what they have in it on top of the $28k in recent work. still not worth more than 18k as is.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Desc says it sat out side in Seattle for a long time with no windshield. Who does that??? That would be a fun project...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Wow - that is a really cool car. I wonder what it will sell for? I love it with all of its warts.

Do the X180 Rs have AC? the dash knob is there.

Also, I thought the car would have the engine brace with the roll cage?

Anybody know where I can get one of the world challenge decals? Maybe that is too poser.

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
lotusespritworld site says the road going X180Rs had AC (URLs not allowed)

They don't have the engine brace likely because the car already has a full roll cage.. The V8s(?) with the engine brace don't have roll bars.

What price will it sell? #12 X180R race car sold for nearly $90K in 2014 and that car was pristine restored. This #18 road car definitely has some interior rust, but nothing structural. Given the Covid 19 environment, the condition, I'll give a SWAG of $60K. But geez - in my 9 years as an Esprit owner, I've only seen 3 road car X180Rs come up for sale -#10 (?), #8 (2016) and this #18 (2020) If someone wants a road car X180R, it could be a long while.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The roll cage and the engine brace are kinda mutually exclusive - the engine brace won't help you in a rollover and the roll cage still allows cradle flex.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I wish we could get our hands on one of those bolt in cages out of the car. I am sure if we could get measurements and pictures, Kirk Racing could make a kit up, really does not look hard to install and requires minimal cutting. Also, looks like just the back half of the cage could be used for a harness bar.

Its surprisingly not obtrusive in the cockpit. It does look like the roll bar would restrict the seat from going back all the way however.

Nice thing about the auction - tons of pictures allowing you to see many of the differences between the R and a regular SE.

·
Registered
587 Posts
It's not just the tubes - there is a lot more going on behind/under the fibreglass to make that roll cage work.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I wish we could get our hands on one of those bolt in cages out of the car. I am sure if we could get measurements and pictures, Kirk Racing could make a kit up, really does not look hard to install and requires minimal cutting. Also, looks like just the back half of the cage could be used for a harness bar.

Its surprisingly not obtrusive in the cockpit. It does look like the roll bar would restrict the seat from going back all the way however.

Nice thing about the auction - tons of pictures allowing you to see many of the differences between the R and a regular SE.
It's not just the tubes - there is a lot more going on behind/under the fibreglass to make that roll cage work.
The hard part is the Esprit was never designed to be a race car, never designed to accommodate a roll cage. The structures engineers and fabricators practically worked a miracle to make these race cars happen. They are brilliant cars for their time. They were so good the promoters of the World Challenge and SCCA Pro kept throwing weight on them with the weight of lobbying from Porsche and Corvette teams.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Part of my goal with FrankEnSPRIT is to take the best parts of the Esprit evolution and apply them as best I can. The last generation 4 cylinder engines, Sport 350 brakes and frame tweaks, Sport 300 engine brace and intercooling, V8 high torque (such as it is) UN1 gearbox, direct cable shifting, Kelsey Hayes ABS - whatever I can obtain out of the Lotus parts catalog that improves performance and makes the car more engaging to drive. It has been fascinating to dig into these variations to try to understand why they were done and how they made the car better. Ultimately I hope to be able to take the best of the iterations and apply them in a way that avoids some of the compromises - like increased weight. I don't think in any way that it will be THE ultimate Esprit (I'm not that smart), but it will be MY ultimate Esprit. I have found that just applying the latest and greatest doesn't necessarily make the car better - and the roll cage is one of those itmes. The latest curveball is looking at what was done by PBB in the creation of the St Tropez to recover some of the stiffness of the body and frame with the loss of the top of the car. It looks like it can enhance overall rigidity without the compromises of the loss of interior space with the roll cage. One of these days I'd like to apply them to a standard G-body Esprit to feel how these changes made a difference.

I really need a bigger budget.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Along that line of thinking my opinion is that you take an X180 and try to incorporate all of the things Lotus put into the S4s (not the Delco brakes!). That would be the ultimate 4 cylinder Lotus Esprit.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
134 Posts
Part of my goal with FrankEnSPRIT is to take the best parts of the Esprit evolution and apply them as best I can. The last generation 4 cylinder engines, Sport 350 brakes and frame tweaks, Sport 300 engine brace and intercooling, V8 high torque (such as it is) UN1 gearbox, direct cable shifting, Kelsey Hayes ABS - whatever I can obtain out of the Lotus parts catalog that improves performance and makes the car more engaging to drive. It has been fascinating to dig into these variations to try to understand why they were done and how they made the car better. Ultimately I hope to be able to take the best of the iterations and apply them in a way that avoids some of the compromises - like increased weight. I don't think in any way that it will be THE ultimate Esprit (I'm not that smart), but it will be MY ultimate Esprit. I have found that just applying the latest and greatest doesn't necessarily make the car better - and the roll cage is one of those itmes. The latest curveball is looking at what was done by PBB in the creation of the St Tropez to recover some of the stiffness of the body and frame with the loss of the top of the car. It looks like it can enhance overall rigidity without the compromises of the loss of interior space with the roll cage. One of these days I'd like to apply them to a standard G-body Esprit to feel how these changes made a difference.

I really need a bigger budget.

Jan has posted some amazing photos of his Lotus with a full cage on FB.. Shows a lot of detail so one could theoretically replicate

F1 Motorsports - Lotus Esprit S3R

·
Registered
809 Posts
That is quite a build - amazing. Really a tube frame car with Esprit engine trans and replica CF body work hanging on.

Soooo much work. Beautiful craftsmanship.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts