The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just poking around online to see how many Esprit SE's were shipped to US in 91 and trying to figure out what number mine is. I couldn't find any breakdown of how many were made in 91, only found that there was 1608 "Stevens" made, I couldn't find any breakdown of those years in that category nor could I find any numbers for US models. The last four of my VIN is 0239, which would lead me to believe that it was number 239 made in 91. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Supposedly 107, not including the Jim Clark and X180R's (20 each).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Have you read these pages?

might help, a little.

Esprit Production Figures

1991:

9 - Turbo
3 - GMP4 – Cars with General Motors (GM) Fuel Injection (Delco Electronics ECU) – Similar Engine spec to HCPI but with more sophisticated control system to meet stricter USA emissions requirements, (has on board diagnostics ability)
113 - INTRCL – Cars with GMP4 Injection and fitted with an Intercooler (water to air) to increase Power.

125 - Total

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Supposedly 107, not including the Jim Clark and X180R's (20 each).
That explains why it's rare to see a 91 SE for sale, and tons of 88's.

·
Registered
211 Posts
here is what ive been able to gather from various sites and books...

SE PRODCTION FIGURES:
1989: 563 (100 Delivered to USA)
1990: 698 (211 Delivered to USA)
1991: 113 (107 Delivered to USA, 20 additional Jim Clark editions and 20 additional X180R street variants also delivered to USA)
1992: 172 (3 Delivered to Canada, none to USA)
1993: 62 (All delivered to USA)
Total SE Esprits Produced: 1608 out of 10,675 total Esprits ever built, 1976 - 2004.
Total SE Esprits imported into the US: 480 out of 1608 total SE Esprits ever built, 1989 - 1993

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I believe those are calendar year figures, not to be confused with model years. For example it shows GMP4 numbers for 1988, when that system actually vegan with 1989 model year. Not a problem, just don't extract those numbers into "my 19xx is one of xx in that model year" based in that chart alone.

Shade, interesting the numbers you have there. If that's right there were no US vehicles during 1992. Also probably calendar not model year, but if that hiatus is correct I was not aware of it.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
1992 was well known as the high wing year. None came to the US as you have undoubtably noticed.

Doesn't seem like anyone was converting their SE to a high wing -- wonder why ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
860 Posts
I remember seeing ads in 1992 (duPont Registry) for the Esprit Highwing, but obviously none came here. The other odd thing about the 1993.5 is that there are several places stating that the 93.5 Esprit (US model) had a passengr side airbag. I've never seen one with the passenger side airbag, though. My 93.5 certainly doesn't have it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
1993 was a major transitional year for the esprit... there isnt going to be any set rules that lotus follwed like "ok the 93 has this and this and this, and the 93.5 has this plus this".... i think they just kind of phased in new things from the then-future s4 into the SE lineup and whatever car they were on in the production line just happened to be the start of that particular feature :)

it would be nice to get a vin number breakdown of all the 93 esprits so that we could sort out what went into what car though

·
Registered
36 Posts
I remember seeing ads in 1992 (duPont Registry) for the Esprit Highwing, but obviously none came here. The other odd thing about the 1993.5 is that there are several places stating that the 93.5 Esprit (US model) had a passengr side airbag. I've never seen one with the passenger side airbag, though. My 93.5 certainly doesn't have it.
Mine 93.5 doesn't have a passengers airbag either...mine is #60280

·
Registered
860 Posts
Todd,

My car is 13 cars after yours. I think the idea was to put the pass air bags in, but I don't think it happened in any 93.5 Esprit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts