The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car is registered in HK. Not easy to bring to the states, probably not registerable on federal level far as I know.

Rarer V-spec version

2.8 twin turbo, only think left stock are windows and doors. have the original bonnet and lip pictured when car was silver. 650-700hp Lots of brand new un-used parts in current ongoing refresh such as rear ap4pot brake kit, nismo copper plate clutch, fully built bottom end, new pistons, new block, new bushings - modified in japan, fresh paint inside and out...and more

100k + invested. (stopped counting after a while)

Interested parties please PM me for details. thanks!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I hope you're including the engine ;)

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Looks like a ton of fun! Can't you just put it in a shipping crate to the US? Would be a hell of a track car.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Different states have different regulations and I'm not sure.
It ain't the States, it's the Feds. Our gov.t absolutely sucks in this regard, but that's a whole other rant for me.

Much bigger PITA to bring in a track/race vehicle compared to what it used to be and a 33 would need some work to be (legally) approved for road use.

From your location, probably easier to find an Aussie with deep pockets, depending on what's been going on with their import laws lately.
:shrug:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It ain't the States, it's the Feds. Our gov.t absolutely sucks in this regard, but that's a whole other rant for me.

Much bigger PITA to bring in a track/race vehicle compared to what it used to be and a 33 would need some work to be (legally) approved for road use.

From your location, probably easier to find an Aussie with deep pockets, depending on what's been going on with their import laws lately.
:shrug:
I think some people have figured out how to register them for most states excluding Cali and some other one. Less emissions restrictions I think, and probably not completely legal. Bringing in as race car, you're correct, it's really hard to prove unless the car has a racing history. Motorex was the only legitamite legalizer but has shut down. There's a new company that can go the kit car route. For those who may be interested, highly suggest you guys look into feasiblitity first.

Yes, I'm going to try to sell in other markets also. Aussie and UK are possible. thanks

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think some people have figured out how to register them for most states excluding Cali and some other one. Less emissions restrictions I think, and probably not completely legal. Bringing in as race car, you're correct, it's really hard to prove unless the car has a racing history. Motorex was the only legitamite legalizer but has shut down. There's a new company that can go the kit car route. For those who may be interested, highly suggest you guys look into feasiblitity first.

Yes, I'm going to try to sell in other markets also. Aussie and UK are possible. thanks
I know somebody that used to work for Customs task forces. Any Skyline that comes into the country is confiscated and crushed. Even the old chassis and motor seperation thing doesn't work. Unless you plan on smuggling the car (or risk customs finding it), you won't get that car in the country.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I think some people have figured out how to register them for most states excluding Cali
I know somebody that used to work for Customs task forces. Any Skyline that comes into the country is confiscated and crushed. Even the old chassis and motor seperation thing doesn't work. Unless you plan on smuggling the car (or risk customs finding it), you won't get that car in the country.

Well there are at least six of them that I have seen driving around the LA area :shrug:

·
Registered
455 Posts
hmmmm...I followed one around the track just last weekend.

·
Registered
873 Posts
There are some around that are fully fed legal which Motorex brought into the US before they when out of business (i believed less then 100 cars in total). And there are more on the road that are not fed legal but are state registered via other importing routes. Bottom line, they are awesome cars, just too bad not many around in the States and once that are here they are usually too costly to justify.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
99 Posts
Are you sure? I'm fairly certain that as long as you're going to use it off road only, you can bring anything you want into the country. The only reason the DOT laws exist is to govern public roads, which, needless to say, are owned by the public and you're using them as a privilege, so the DOT makes you follow their rules. On your own property they don't really car what you do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts