The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Newcomer here and first post. I have always liked the 1990-1995 Esprits and started doing a lot of research and reading up on what to look for. I have come across a 95 S4 out of state with low miles (around 16K) that appears to be in nice shape but concerned over a few things notwithstanding the very high asking price (around $31K). The concerns are no past maintenance records from previous owners, needs new tires because of age and timing belt change and major service (Service C) would also need to be performed (last belt change done 7 years ago). Obviously a PPI would be done if I continue to pursue this car but with all of the needs that are known (not what might be found during the inspection), what would be a fair price for this car? I know that previous maintenance records are really valuable (just like past Ferrari maintenance records) but if the car gets a thorough inspection and all that needs to be done are the things I have mentioned, just wondering what the Lotus pros out there think is a reasonable offer. I appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Pretty expensive and I would not do any significant driving on a 7 year old timing belt.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
31K hmmm.......do your own work or send it to a shop for c service? New tires and shop charges for C service will push it into the 35K range. That's well sorted S4s territory and V8 money. Also do some research into if your state of residence has a sales tax exemption for 20 y/o cars. If so it might make sense to get a 94 or older. In the state of MN a car 20 y/o or older is a collector. If it is registered as a collector a flat fee of $90 is used instead of sales tax and no yearly registration fees. For a 20K car that would be a savings of $1500.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty expensive and I would not do any significant driving on a 7 year old timing belt.
Absolutely! No intention on driving the car until a belt change is performed.

If the car is really clean and checks out offer him 28.
Thanks. I was thinking the car is probably in need of $5K to get it current and his price was high to begin with. Very low $20Ks was where I thought it might be worth since it was not a S4S but was curious about the price from all of you out there.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
You are right to be concerned about the lack of records. Typically a well taken care of car (especially where they are asking a stiff price) will have records. Sounds to me like the car was sitting for a long time and then detailed to sell. Being neglected for a long time, you can expect a lot of little issues to surface once you start driving it. Tires and a "C" service can cost you around $4K assuming nothing big is found to fix. A well sorted and serviced S4 is probably worth closer to $28-$30K so you should be able to buy it for about $4K less because of the need for service and lack of records. Because there are no records it makes a PPI all that much more important. YOU will have to recreate and start the service records and that costs $$ because you must assume the car needs EVERYTHING.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,319 Posts
For that price, you are better-off buying Yellow Hornet's S4s. It is totally up-to-date on service.

Shoot him a PM to see if it is still available.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My guess would be 28K as well but it is hard tomake that determination for any of us without a thorough PPI. If you really like the car and the basics check out, the PPI will determine the next steps.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Thanks. I was thinking the car is probably in need of $5K to get it current and his price was high to begin with. Very low $20Ks was where I thought it might be worth since it was not a S4S but was curious about the price from all of you out there.
The 5K is realistic to get it current if nothing major is going on. Low 20's is a stretch from 31K asking. That's like a 30% deduct, that one is tough. Even with a service deduct that would be 26K. Try any offer that you think is right. All they can say is no.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I bought my 95 s4 one year ago with records back to new and in excellent condition for 28k. Only thing it needed was some proper brake system maintenance and a timing belt. If you are mechanical, it won't cost much to get it sorted, but without records you'll want a very, very detailed ppi.

All that said the 95 is great, brembos and power everything, I drive mine all through the winter (Seattle) and it's been perfectly reliable.

Jim

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes if it a 95 with the Brembro brakes, and in excellent shape with records and up to date maintenance it is worth $28-30.

So start subtracting from there. Absolutely get it inspected by a person that knows Lotuses.

Randy

·
Registered
151 Posts
See attached files (if this works), one is a shopping list of available Esprits from one year ago when I was looking for mine. I doubt the asking prices have changed much.

The other file is a maintenance schedule I made up, the block shaded in green to the right is the list of things I did to the car after purchase - keep in mind this car was advertised as being in perfect condition with all records. It was in very good condition, I did find some bad repairs accomplished by unskilled mechanics (at the local Midas shop of all places! This is not a brake system for amateurs!)

You can check the VIN number of the car to make sure it is truly an upgraded 1995 model ( I think the cutoff was in June 1994 build date? They call these in the manual a "revised wiring 95 MY) and many things were changed besides the brakes, mostly minor stuff. Once I got the car sorted, it's been very reliable and predictable, but it does take a lot of looking after and preventive maintenance. I track mine twice a year typically, so it gets lots of brake fluid and oil changes and I always run premium fuel.

If you are a mechanic, you will enjoy working on this car. The timing belt is not hard to do, but Travis said it well in another post hereabouts - the first time you do the cam belt, it will take you the entire weekend on jackstands, after that, it's easy because now you know how to get all the bits off and back on.

The best part of the Esprit is driving it - it's like no other!

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the great input. In looking at some posts, I saw some good buys from some of you in the low $20k range for a 94-95 S4 which is partly how I came up with what I thought it might be worth. I figured that if a fully sorted version sells for around $28K, it would be worth anywhere from around $22 -$23K before all of the service and new tires (and whatever else the PPI discovers). I will keep inquiring about the car and determine my next steps. Thanks again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks everyone for the great input. In looking at some posts, I saw some good buys from some of you in the low $20k range for a 94-95 S4 which is partly how I came up with what I thought it might be worth. I figured that if a fully sorted version sells for around $28K, it would be worth anywhere from around $22 -$23K before all of the service and new tires (and whatever else the PPI discovers). I will keep inquiring about the car and determine my next steps. Thanks again.
I would expect to see a minor difference in value between the 94 and 95 S4 models because the improvement in the 95's. The brembos are significant and other minor improvements may equal better reliability. In any case, The overall value lies in the actual condition of the car.

Best of luck and if it works out for you, you'll love it. Having Lived in Chandler, I can assure you the s4 esprit AC is up to the job in summer, but the long sloping windshield will want you to keep it out if the sun any time it's not on the road, it is truly a huge greenhouse.

Jim

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would expect to see a minor difference in value between the 94 and 95 S4 models because the improvement in the 95's. The brembos are significant and other minor improvements may equal better reliability. In any case, The overall value lies in the actual condition of the car
I don't believe all 95 S4 got the Brembo brakes, I think it was production starting around April or February. If it does have the 95 improvements, a late production S4 would have, in my opinion, a higher value than my early 94 S4.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I thought all 95' got Brembo brakes. This also gives me a good idea what the sale price will be when I sell my S4, which it looks like it is going yo be pretty soon since I am running out of space in my garage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
151 Posts
I thought all 95' got Brembo brakes.
According to the Lotus maintenance manual, Brembos were on USA 95 S4 from VIN: xxx1391 on, build date from June 94. Revised wiring harness from VIN: xxxxxx1242 on.

I noticed they had a twin-turbo V6 non-USA in May of 96!!?? Wow, I did not know that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
According to the Lotus maintenance manual, Brembos were on USA 95 S4 from VIN: xxx1391 on, build date from June 94. Revised wiring harness from VIN: xxxxxx1242 on.

This one may be have them as the full vin is SCCFD30C0SHF61489. I haven't asked the seller yet but based on what you are saying it would appear to. If anyone knows anything about the car, I would love to hear about it. It has that deep red leather interior which I can't decide whether I love it or just like it! Either way, it looks pretty good with the blue exterior. Just gotta find the right buyer who likes that combo I guess!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, my VIN is xxxxxxxx1433 and it has Brembos and revised wiring.

Got a link to the car?
I just checked and his craigslist ad has expired. I heard from him today but he will be gone for a week and should get back to me then. Also found this one on GlobalAutosports...95 S4S....looks like it has been available for some time and discussed on the for sale section of the forum.

1995 Lotus Esprit S4S For Sale in Tequesta, FL 33469 | Global Autosports

Not interested at $34.9K ....plus need to hear what records it has and what service has been done (assuming it is still available).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts