The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been really split between an elise and an esprit, I've driven them both and I love the elise, but I am pretty set on getting an esprit.(my wife likes the fact its bigger)

Since I really know nothing about pricing:
How much should I expect to pay for an 1995 S4s with around 30,000 miles? I havent seen many cars out there so It is kind of hard to find prices to compare.

I've read all the fact files and quite a few posts, but, is there anything else I should know before I buy?

If someone could direct me to a buyers guide that would be great!

Thanks Everyone!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've been really split between an elise and an esprit, I've driven them both and I love the elise, but I am pretty set on getting an esprit.(my wife likes the fact its bigger)

Since I really know nothing about pricing:
How much should I expect to pay for an 1995 S4s with around 30,000 miles? I havent seen many cars out there so It is kind of hard to find prices to compare.

I've read all the fact files and quite a few posts, but, is there anything else I should know before I buy?

If someone could direct me to a buyers guide that would be great!

Thanks Everyone!
You've read everything at espritfactfile.com and lotusespritworld.com? The latter contains a buying guide, etc. Both are great resources. I've owned both cars, and they are very different animals. The S4s is IMO the best of the breed. The Esprit is more of a traditional exotic than the rice-powered Elise. Be prepared to maintain it like a true exotic. The Elise is rock solid reliable and cheap to run by comparison. The oldest Fed Elise is 10 years newer than the S4s, and an Esprit with 30k miles needs a well documented service history. Those cars seem to age better if they are driven regularly, but poor maintenance will cost you. Depending on condition, they tend to bring high 20's to mid 30's. The Esprit can make another 50hp with a chip change and associated minor work. The chassis was already dated in 1995, and the interior as well. I love my Elise, but I still think the Esprit is a much better looking car.

A couple shots of my S4s showing V8 wheels and custom straight-pipe exhaust:

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ive sold a few in the last couple of months, both were in the lower to mid
30k range with 15-24k miles and in excellent shape. When you do purchase, Make sure you have maintenance records that show maintenance is up to date!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RSduce and JohnnyQuik:

thanks for the info guys! hopefully I will find myself in an esprit in the coming weeks if I can find one that is right for me!

JohnnyQuik that is a beautiful esprit!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Wouldn't trade my '95 S4 for the world...

Expect to pay high 20's up to mid to high 30's even. And remember, these cars are usually only worth the records that come with them...be cautious if the PO doesn't have maintenance records. With proper maintenance, these cars are VERY reliable. Stay up on them, and you'll enjoy it for a long, long time...

·
Registered
840 Posts
I agree. High 20s to low to mid 30s.

The only thing I would add is that prices are falling, and usually are the highest in the spring (now). Just a few years ago a nice S4s brought nearly $40k. Rules of Esprit buying:

1. Don't buy the first one you drive.

2. Don't buy one in the spring, unless it is perfect.....

3. Don't buy one without full documentation.

That said, the S4s is a FANTASTIC car. Almost all of the rough spots of the 4 cylinder cars were solved by this point in time. Better brakes, understeer gone, fuel injection reliable, etc. etc. etc. It's a great car, just very different from the Elise/Exige.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've been involved with Lotus cars since 1989. Own several Esprits and an Exige. IMHO the only thing they have in common is their Lotus DNA. The Esprit should be “handle with care” maintained and driven. The Exige or Elise on the other hand can be driven very hard a lot with little worries.
The S4s is the best of the 4 cylinders and one of the best Esprit ever. If you can maintain your cars yourself, then the cost should be very reasonable.
If you have any questions on servicing or maintaining an Esprit, just PM me.

Gene
’83 Esprit
’95 S4s
’06 Exige

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyones help!

If anyone knows of any good sites I could look for to find an S4s that would be great.

Im looking to spend around $30k-33k and I have religiously been checking ebay, craigslist, cars.com, and yahoo autos

Every time I find one it seems like its bought within the week and I dont have time to go look at it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
S4s Exhaust

Custom made by a local high-end speedshop. Not having a muffler helps :evil:
It looks absolutely fantastic. I am sure it sounds as good as it looks. The exhaust sound ( or lack there of ) is really bad in the S4s. You think the shop maybe able to make another one?

Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
It looks absolutely fantastic. I am sure it sounds as good as it looks. The exhaust sound ( or lack there of ) is really bad in the S4s. You think the shop maybe able to make another one?

Thanks
I think it would be a matter of finding who does custom exhaust work in your local area by getting some referrals. The shop that did mine had done a bunch of street rods and customs, but I don't think the guy had ever even seen an Esprit before. He simply cut off the stock system and went to work. He went as far as to make sure the two sides had equal pipe lengths. I wish I had a shot from underneath because it really does look good. The turbo does a pretty good job of keeping it reasonably quiet, but it was substantially louder than stock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, Johnny,
Not trying to stalk you at all and I know this post was eight years ago. I have been on the lookout for an S4s for a while now. I currently have an 89SE in Columbia, SC. I was wondering A. Do you still have the car? And, B. Eould you be interested in selling it or know someone who has an S4s for sale. Thanks in advance and sorry for an-out-of-the-blue message. Trevor

1 - 16 of 16 Posts