The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Car Adicted
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had been having an intermitant problem with my windows going up and down. I thought at first it was the switches in the dash in front of the shifter, as it seemed like pushing them a certain way would get them to work. Then of course it happened......both sides stopped working .........and the windows were down. Sat the car and a few weeks later I went in and the drivers window was working, but not the passengers, so I pried out the window switches from the dash, the clips that hold them in are at the top and bottom. Once out I pulled both switches out, the wiring does not allow you to pull the switches too far out it is tight, i switched the switches around and still the passenger window wouldn't work, but the drivers window worked, so I knew both switched were functional. It should be noted that the switched felt tight and new once I pulled them out. The rocker function of the switch seemed to be working perfectly, no real wear could be felt. I could also hear the relays in the door clicking when I tried to put the window up or down. So I removed the door panels, which at first.......I thought might be scary, but it was pretty straight forward. Remove 2 phillip screws from bottom of door, I believe they are M8 x .8 and 20 mm long. Mine were slightly boogered up in the phillips portion, so good time to replace. Snap off the plastic surround by the hand pull, no screws hold it on. There are 2 large phillips screws that hold the door pull handle on and 1 small phillips screw that was behind the plastic surround. With that you can pull the bottom of the door panel outward and then upward and take the door panel off. You will need to unhook the tweeter wires. You dont need to mark them as they can only be assembled one way. Once the panel is removed the black panel where the door speaker is mounted needs to be undone and also the 4 screws that hold the speaker in have to be removed first and then speaker wires unhooked. Once the speaker is removed, good time to replace if it is cracked, you then removed the black panel that the speaker was in. There are 3 plastic screws, one at the top and one on each side at 9 o'clock and at 3 o'clock. Once removed the black panel will come out and you will have access to the 2 window relays. Unplug each relay and then unscrew the small bolt holding in the relay. The relay is a Bosch Relay 0332204184. No longer made, but I was able to get the replacement from NAPA. It was an Echlin part for about $12 each. I did need to pull the metal bracket out of the old relays and put them in the new relays. They didn't exactly fit, so I did use an excessive amount of electrical tape and it seemed to work. I am sure you can find the relays for less as there are 4 relays, 2 in each door. One for up and one for down. I will post the relay part number as I am doing all this from memory. Hopefully this helps someone to tackle this issue in their car. Not too bad and quite frankly I wish I had done it earlier.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great write up E1.
How did you get the switches out of the dash? Did you just pry them out with a screwdriver or something similar?
My passenger window refuses to go down and I'm thinking it's my switch, as I've already changed both relays out.
Thanls
Adam

·
Car Adicted
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great write up E1.
How did you get the switches out of the dash? Did you just pry them out with a screwdriver or something similar?
My passenger window refuses to go down and I'm thinking it's my switch, as I've already changed both relays out.
Thanls
Adam
I know my write up was a bit wordy, so Thank you for reading and responding. Yes the window switches are basically held in by two clips on the switches, one on the top and one on the bottom. I took an assortment of small screw drivers and carefully pried out the top of the switch. I pried on the side of the switch near the top, as this is where the clip is and how it is held in. They are in very tight, so it was a bit scary at first wondering if I was going to break something. I had the same issue that mine were not working as they should and I thought it was a switch as it felt that way. I was just about to order two switches from SJ Sportscars, but decided to wait. Ironically for me both windows were not working when I started, but when I started to pull the switched out my drivers side decided to work, so once I got out both switches I plugged in the passenger side switch on the drivers side and it worked, so I knew the switches were OK.

Mark Seifert

·
Registered
73 Posts
Question regarding the original window switches on my 98 V8. Were they illuminated?
I just swapped out my passenger side window switch as my passenger window would only go down on a rare occasion. I'd already swapped out the relays and figured the switch was the culprit.
New switch in and 'hey presto', my 2 year old can again zip his window up and down a thousand times on the way to daycare (deep joy!) However.......there is always a 'however' isn't there.....my new window switch is brightly illuminated a wonderful green color. Neither of my original switches were illuminated. Were the factory switches illuminated and therefore had both of mine just burnt out over the years, or is this an upgraded switch? The old switch was a Ford piece, this one is manufactured by JAE apparently, the switch is stamped 'MCAR'.
Cheers
Adam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts