The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
i don't understand the logic -- run?
if you are buying a esprit, you have to look - ask - check - test then buy or run -- otherwise, you are not buying if you run right away.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Run from what? That listing couldn't possibly be any clearer.
Either you understand what you're getting into and are fine with it, or you're not.

·
Registered
466 Posts
From your previous posts I don't think this project suits your situation. Straight-up listing though. Could be a nice project for someone who knows what they are doing with the V8. Good luck with the sale.

Stu

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Been looking at this project for a few months now. Almost went for it then chickened out.

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
FYI this Esprit belongs to someone on this forum - I thought the eBay ad was pretty detailed. Clearly it's for someone with good mechanical skills and/or connections with Esprit savvy mechanics.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey guys.... This is my car.

I'm an open book on this. Any questions about anything on this vehicle I will answer to the best of my ability.

It's sad really. I bought this car because it was my life long dream car, and after a series of unfortunate events it comes to this. I had ideas of taking my (now 15month old) son for excusions in this car... And best I can do is give him the "auto art" mini version that I bought.

I spent money on this car like I was going to keep it forever.... I guess best example is buying 2 NEW AWIs rather than have a 2nd rate re-finish done. Or a completly assembled motor rather than chance messing it up. Hind sights a bitch.

Anyway, I just don't have the time, or the funds anymore to be able to hold onto it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey FSReric, I'm sorry that all that happened to you. I'm just looking into buying my first Esprit and it's stories like this that give me a healthy fear of what I'm getting into. I think every current or aspiring Esprit owner would love to have a crystal ball that could warn them about these things, but the frightening part is that you just never know and all you can do at the outset is your due diligence and try to make an educated buy. I stated this thread b/c I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on your car. I've always heard that cars in any type of accident should be strictly avoided, but you really seem to know what you're talking about, the car looks great and, in a way, the deal seemed great b/c not only would the buyer be getting a great-looking Esprit from an educated owner, but also parts in the event something goes wrong. So, I was interested to read if others see it from this perspective or how else they may view this particular Esprit/situation. I wish you luck in your sale and am sorry you're having to deal with all of this!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mmm, a black V8 with AWI's, my favorite. Wish my position was a little better right now, I'd be all over this. GLWS.
Tell me about it!! That's why I bought it in the first place.

Believe me... If I were in a better position I would NOT be selling it.

I have even received a very nice offer from some good friends to help me get it back on the road.... That I just am not in the position to be able to accept.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Two engines AND AN ESPRIT.. I'd be all over it if I had space and know-how to get it back together. I can turn a wrench when needed but this seems more than I could handle..

I'd say it is a great deal for someone who has some background in getting these things back on the road.

·
Registered
160 Posts
What do you guys think about this whole situation? A potential good idea (with a skilled Lotus mechanic nearby) or a quagmire of potential headaches?

I wouldn't even think of buying this project car unless you're capable of doing the work yourself. I.E. swapping the blocks. I've seen enough horror stories to realize you simply can't trust the majority of so called professionals to perform competent work on the V-8 engines. With the cost of labor, you might not save much, and you'd be taking a lot of additional risk.

Personally, I'd rather pay more for a car that's in good running condition.

·
Registered
576 Posts
This is a good deal for someone, but only with good mechanical skills and experience building motors.

By the time you pay someone else to build it, you will be out a good chunk of change. The extra motor may help offset the cost a bit, but one would need to determine the value of the left over motor.

I do wonder what happened with the insurance claim on this car after the accident.

Randy

·
Registered
182 Posts
I completely agree that this vehicle is not for the "faint of wrench". I've told a few perspective buyers that seemed a bit green behind the gills that they best just move on. It required a very special person to take the reigns of this project ... And in return they will get a very special deal.

The cam covers came installed on the motor. I never thought twice about removing them and checking. Never crossed my mind at all.

I was not compensated by the builder. He was helpful while trying to sort it out, ( before we confirmed it was an internal problem) but since it was a long process he seemed to wash his hands of it (and other lotus projects) just as I was getting to the meat and potatoes of this one.

There was no insurance claim.

Here's the heartbreak of this whole story.....

The esprit was my dream car for a long time. When I graduated high school I told myself that I would own an Esprit by the time my 10 year reunion came around, and drive it to the reunion. You see... I went to a very well-to-do high school because my family bought a house in the 50s that ended up being in a VERY rich area by my high school years. So while I worked my ass off from the age of 10 for neighbors to be able to afford a $1000 non running 64 thunderbird (I wanted a mustang) at 14 to be able to get it running by 16..... My friends would get Porsches and bmws for their 16th birthdays. So about a month before my (1year late) 10 year reunion, I casually mentioned to my wife that I guessed my pact to myself would not come true... And thought nothing more of it.

My darling wife took note and through some of her connections, found this esprit and gave me the OK to buy it.

We picked it up 3 days before the reunion. I submitted info to Hagerty and a couple other collector car insurance companies under the impression I had the 10 day grace period to get the car completely covered.

The day before the reunion I took it up GMR and gave it a workout. That was the last and only time I was actually able to enjoy the car the way it should be. It was glorious, fantastic, epic etc etc etc.

The next evening we went to the reunion. My guess is some ex-spoiled-rich kid had a couple too many and was upset that the pimple-faced poor drama kid owns a successful business and drove a beautiful "classic" exotic while he was struggling to keep his hand me down bmw on the road on his crappy internship pay.... And let the air out of the tires. (In the picture of my wife and I in front of the car at the venue when we arrived there was a valve stem cap on the right rear, pictures after the accident there was not)

When we left the reunion a couple hours later 2 turns and less than a half mile down the road the lotus was down for the count.

The next day I called my then-current insurance company and their response was "we don't ensure Lotus' ". And the following Monday I got notice from the collector car insurers that my daily driver e38 bmw was not new enough as a daily qualify my Lotus as insurable.

F it... This is my dream car and I will get it back! Many open checkbooks later... Here we are.

...Now excuse me while I find the whiskey....

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
I don't see any way that paying someone else to do the work on this car will pay off. The labor bill would be brutal. It is my opinion that this should be purchased by a highly skilled tech looking for a fun project to keep them busy.

I considered the project but the damage (enough to break the engine block) probably goes past the replaced suspension components, and the frame is probably tweaked as well, which is what scared me away.

Had there been insurance involved this would most likely have been considered a total loss.

There are two engines worth of parts, but still lots to buy. All gaskets, plain bearings, rings, get the liners re nikasil coated, seals. Turbos need to be rebuilt as they took some media through them, then replace the oil cooler as it has been compromised. Then pull the gas tanks, coat them. Then the frame might not be straight. Things could quickly get out of hand on this one, and that would be if the labor is all "free". And this would be skilled free labor, as this is far from a entry level project.

GLWS, but this is going to be a tough one. Sorry to hear that it went so wrong.

BTW I pay $200 per year for full coverage insurance on my Esprit through Geico, insured as just a regular car.

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
[snip]
The esprit was my dream car for a long time. When I graduated high school I told myself that I would own an Esprit by the time my 10 year reunion came around, and drive it to the reunion.[snip]My friends would get Porsches and bmws for their 16th birthdays. [snip]

We picked it up 3 days before the reunion. [snip]

The next evening we went to the reunion. My guess is some ex-spoiled-rich kid had a couple too many and was upset that the pimple-faced poor drama kid owns a successful business and drove a beautiful "classic" exotic while he was struggling to keep his hand me down bmw on the road on his crappy internship pay.... And let the air out of the tires. [snip]
Hmmm...I'm going to my high school reunion (36th) - never got to the 25 or 30th ones. I plan to go (solo) in my 88 Esprit - didn't think about the jealousy factor would be bad enough to vandalize the car.

Maybe I'll rethink this one :scratchhead:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I completely agree that this vehicle is not for the "faint of wrench". I've told a few perspective buyers that seemed a bit green behind the gills that they best just move on. It required a very special person to take the reigns of this project ... And in return they will get a very special deal.

The cam covers came installed on the motor. I never thought twice about removing them and checking. Never crossed my mind at all.

I was not compensated by the builder. He was helpful while trying to sort it out, ( before we confirmed it was an internal problem) but since it was a long process he seemed to wash his hands of it (and other lotus projects) just as I was getting to the meat and potatoes of this one.

There was no insurance claim.

Here's the heartbreak of this whole story.....

The esprit was my dream car for a long time. When I graduated high school I told myself that I would own an Esprit by the time my 10 year reunion came around, and drive it to the reunion. You see... I went to a very well-to-do high school because my family bought a house in the 50s that ended up being in a VERY rich area by my high school years. So while I worked my ass off from the age of 10 for neighbors to be able to afford a $1000 non running 64 thunderbird (I wanted a mustang) at 14 to be able to get it running by 16..... My friends would get Porsches and bmws for their 16th birthdays. So about a month before my (1year late) 10 year reunion, I casually mentioned to my wife that I guessed my pact to myself would not come true... And thought nothing more of it.

My darling wife took note and through some of her connections, found this esprit and gave me the OK to buy it.

We picked it up 3 days before the reunion. I submitted info to Hagerty and a couple other collector car insurance companies under the impression I had the 10 day grace period to get the car completely covered.

The day before the reunion I took it up GMR and gave it a workout. That was the last and only time I was actually able to enjoy the car the way it should be. It was glorious, fantastic, epic etc etc etc.

The next evening we went to the reunion. My guess is some ex-spoiled-rich kid had a couple too many and was upset that the pimple-faced poor drama kid owns a successful business and drove a beautiful "classic" exotic while he was struggling to keep his hand me down bmw on the road on his crappy internship pay.... And let the air out of the tires. (In the picture of my wife and I in front of the car at the venue when we arrived there was a valve stem cap on the right rear, pictures after the accident there was not)

When we left the reunion a couple hours later 2 turns and less than a half mile down the road the lotus was down for the count.

The next day I called my then-current insurance company and their response was "we don't ensure Lotus' ". And the following Monday I got notice from the collector car insurers that my daily driver e38 bmw was not new enough as a daily qualify my Lotus as insurable.

F it... This is my dream car and I will get it back! Many open checkbooks later... Here we are.

...Now excuse me while I find the whiskey....
I just wanted to add that I gave up on an Exige as Hagerty and the other companies insist my daily driver be newer than 5 years old, even though they do NOT insure the daily driver! So no way am I going to sell off a paid for Ford F150 with super low miles, just to have an Exige to drive 2 or 3k miles a year. Really sorry to read the details of this. REALLY pissed of some faceless scum messed with your car and caused all of this. GLWTS.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yes, definitely sorry to hear about some dirtbag messing with your car. I remember people keying and egging our Corvette when I was a kid in the 70's, I just don't get the concept of messing with other people's stuff out of jealousy. Sadly, our whole country seems to be jumping on this concept lately.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
What a terrible read FSEric. Sorry to hear of some dirt bag doing something so bad that could have lead to injury or even death. Lame...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts