The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I ran my Elise today with JamesA's Atlanta BMW club. I haven't autocrossed in years because I live 2 hours from any major city and lost interest when I discovered track days. Anyway, after meeting up with Jim for the trip to the dragon's tail I decided to checkout their event.

Of course, the weather made things interesting. It was drizzling all morning and the lot was soaked. It dried out in the 3rd session but by then it was too late for me. I started my tire pressures off a little to high and ended up 32f/34r after my first run. I kept these because they felt right and the wear marks appeared consistent. The temperature was below 70 degrees so this might have been too much pressure?

I was really impressed with the cars balance and took about 3 1/2 seconds off my first time. There's definitely room for improvement in the driving department but it was a blast to get the back end out a little to feel it hook up and point itself in the right direction. I had to keep reminding myself that in auto xing, smooth is fast but it sure is fun to push this car.

This is the most well run autocross event I've ever been involved with. The people made a newcomer feel welcome and I've never found an autocross group that was so willing to lend a tool or some advice.

By the way, Jim's Caterham 7 was quite impressive. He was going by my work station with a young passenger when he clipped a cone with the right front tire. The cone shot into the passenger's arms like a football. I had to do a double take! After about 40 ft the passenger tossed the cone so we could get it. Quite a funny moment and overall a great day.

Randy...can you post the vids?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It was a fun autocross, our only wet one this year. Every now and then a wet autocross is fun and this one was. Dan did great running one of the fastest of the wet times. The last run group had much drier pavement.
Great videos Dan!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Oh yea the cone landing in my passengers arms! Yep, I clipped a cone just right it flipped up and my passenger caught it! He looked at me I looked at him and I said throw it overboard! I was laughing so hard I screwed up the run. In all my autocrosses I have never seen anything like it!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really wish I had been taping when that happened but working a corner and doing other things isn't quite safe. It really looked as though they planned it because the passenger just caught it! Great reaction times for both driver and passenger. Here's a couple pics before I peel the stickers off my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
James A said:
Oh yea the cone landing in my passengers arms! Yep, I clipped a cone just right it flipped up and my passenger caught it! He looked at me I looked at him and I said throw it overboard! I was laughing so hard I screwed up the run. In all my autocrosses I have never seen anything like it!
Hmm, penalty points are not based on touching cones, but based on where the cone comes to rest if I remember right. So if the cone never comes down, maybe there's no penalty....:D

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny you should mention that. The 2 other corner workers and I wondered what we would have done had they dropped it off during his next run.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Looks like a blast, Dan!

I'm hopeful that my car is finished in thr shop on Saturday so I can race on Sunday. I've begged, pleaded, and sent pizza to the body shop. We'll see. The season is growing very, very short up here in the NE. Only two chances left to race, I believe.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yep, it is a Pantara GTS I know the owner and it is a BIG handful but he has fun driving it! His son enters in a turbo VW bug and beats his!

·
Registered
163 Posts
There is a red Pantara that I've seen around here in Ventura county (CA) a few times on the weekends. The driver is a very old man and his passenger is a very old woman. Looks very funny, but is actually kind of cool.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gwinnett Cty Fairgrounds? :)

I recognize that wetness anywhere!

I did the ProSolo down there in March this year. :)

Nice variety of cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts