The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gents, the info in this forum is GOLD Jerry, [email protected]!

I am taking the elise for her first autoX at Qualcomm with SCCA in a couple of weeks, and I have a question: Is the battery holder thing an issue?

I have been reading about the battery coming loose rather easily and I am all stock and worrying about throwing it around the trunk at autoX.

Are you autocrossers running stock batteries and mounting brackets or do I need to upgrade to the sector 111 battery mount b4 I go?

TIA

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Just make sure its tight. I've been running the stock battery for years on track now without a problem.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
since you used a seinfeld quote: the battery holddown is worry some for me. It is easy for the battery to slip backwards and the "nubs" easily push the bracket out of the way. What I did: put a strip of double sided gummy tape on the inside of the bracket and wedged it up against the bat as tightly as I could while tightening. This insures the bat doesent slide for and aft. It is suprising how well it works actually....

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks AS, that sounds like a brilliant fix I will see if I can duplicate.

The idea of breaking the clam at my 1st autoX makes my stomach hurt.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've been running my stock battery/mount at the AX's at the Q for a while now no problems. Lots of events there this month!

As ZJChaser said, just make sure its tight and you'll be good to go. They check the battery tightness during tech also, so they'll tell you if its (too) loose...

Good Luck,
Larez2

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Make sure it's REALLY secure.

I had my stock battery come loose...

End result = over 30 days of having the car down, new rear clamshell, total bill was in the 5-figure range.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I've been running my stock battery/mount at the AX's at the Q for a while now no problems. Lots of events there this month!

As ZJChaser said, just make sure its tight and you'll be good to go. They check the battery tightness during tech also, so they'll tell you if its (too) loose...

Good Luck,
Larez2
metoo with zero problems but if you tigten it with the clamp, test how much force it takes to push the battery back and out of the camp. On my car it is about 25 lbs. So .75 G acceleration could do the trick. Our cours arnt capable of such heroic accelerations but, the factor of safty is still low. With the tape in place I am unable to push the bat back. It requires at least 75 lbs. Over the clamp design is bad, it needs more for and aft positive location. The ramp on the bat nub wants to push the bracke out of the way. I keep meaning to fab something better but havent got around to it. I believe someone on here was contemplating making something better for around 45$.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
oh yeah I think I used a bit of blue loctite on the threads also. This issue is too silly to loose 5k$ worth of bodywork over...

·
Registered
27 Posts
SCCA Autocross next week

I went and saw a Lotus Elise for sale at Unique Motorsports in Escondido and fell in love with it, but they wouldnt let me drive it because it had just been detailed...
Anyways, I am thinking of picking one up after I sell my Mustang Fastback, but I need to know more about these cars before I buy one. My wife in particular is a bit dubious about her ability to drive one (she's 5'3").
PECivil,
Please let me know if you are planning on being at qualcomm next week (May 9-10). I dont expect you to let me drive it, but I would appreciate a ride around the parking lot and to talk with you about your experience.
Thank you

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chaos,
I will be there on the 9th, plus there is an autox ground school on the Friday evening before I will also attend. Definitely you can check the car out. its just impossible to describe what a blast it is to drive.

I checked out that Elise at Unique too, the dark silver one?? They still have it I see. What are they asking?? When I looked at it I think it was 33k?

it had a larini single pipe exhaust IIRC.

BTW my elise is lime green so you should be able to find me!!

Monte

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I went and saw a Lotus Elise for sale at Unique Motorsports in Escondido and fell in love with it, but they wouldnt let me drive it because it had just been detailed...
Anyways, I am thinking of picking one up after I sell my Mustang Fastback, but I need to know more about these cars before I buy one. My wife in particular is a bit dubious about her ability to drive one (she's 5'3").
PECivil,
Please let me know if you are planning on being at qualcomm next week (May 9-10). I dont expect you to let me drive it, but I would appreciate a ride around the parking lot and to talk with you about your experience.
Thank you

I'll be at Cruisin' Grand tonight in Escondido. You're welcome to poke around in my Exige.

·
Registered
140 Posts
... My wife in particular is a bit dubious about her ability to drive one (she's 5'3").
PECivil,
Thank you
5'3" is fine to drive it, the seat can be moved up really far. I think it would be really had to get in and out of the car with the seat moved that far forward but she could just slide it back whenever she enters or exits the car. I'll be at the Q on May 9th as well, but I was planning to be at the Porsche event in the other lot not the SCCA one. My buddy might be running my Lotus in the SCCA event though so if you see a magnetic blue one, feel free to come up and talk about it. If I end up doing the SCCA you are welcome to ride with me for a run if they have fun runs.

And just so I stay on the thread topic, i better double check my battery! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Everyone

Wow, I had no idea there were that many lotus's in this area.
I will do my best to make it to the Qualcomm events next weekend.
Yes, the one at Unique was a dark grey one, but it might be a different one. It's the least expensive lotus I have seen so far at 23k but it also has the highest mileage and something just felt... off, even though I didnt get to drive it.
Thank you all for the replies and the offers to see your cars.
Brennon,
Sorry, I didnt check this forum until Saturday. I will try and make it next Friday though.
Thanks again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts