The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got pulled over for the first time ever in my Elise.
Driving spiritedly on the eastbound highway 24 Fish Ranch Rd exit, drifted the car through the clover leaf and then came upon a Corolla, went round the Corolla and drifted through the righ hander that takes you over the Caldecott tunnels. I look up ahead and there is a CHP waiting at the west bound on ramp road up ahead. I quickly turn to pass him and go back west bound but(in my mind) traffic in the tunnels would make it impossible to shake him. Best move is to pull over and hope for the best.
He makes a quick "U" turn and tells me to find a wide spot to pull over. He walks up and reminds me that "there are bicyclists all over these hills and with that kind of driving you could come upon one so quickly that you wouldn't have time to react". I start to deny that I was driving hard, he says "I'm trying to cut you some slack here but if you want to go another way then so be it". I say "oh no sir you are right" :D.
He gives me a warning and walks away:eek:
What he did was to make me realize that I WAS driving WAY too fast for the roads in regard to the safety of others. Earlier in the day I had handed a sportbike rider his hat on that very stretch of road as you come down the hill toward 24.
I guess my point here is to say that the Elise/Exige can be so good that it makes you feel superhuman and you start driving like you can get away with anything. Earlier in the day I had seen a different sportbike rider standing at the side off Grizzly Peak and waving his arms. Just ahead there ware a few large rocks in the road. If it had not been for him I surely would have done some major damage to my car or worse.
This is just a reminder to me and hopefully some of you to be careful and to save the track driving for the track.
I felt like I learned a lesson that day and dodged a bullet or two.:shrug:
Me hitting myself:thwack:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I'm glad you didn't get a ticket and you still learned a lesson.

This has always been my point. Far more warnings, far fewer tickets, and the police would be more respected and I think most people would still cooperate and learn their lesson.

I know I would (and have).

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Agreed any time you are "drifiting" through corners on a public road you are going way to fast ! Here are 4 things you probably don't want to see while drifting around a blind corner at 75mph : :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Call me when you get 5 warnings from cops rotfl

3 of them pulled me over just to see the car.
1 of them I was acting like a fool
1 of them LA cop with nothing better to do.

= no tickets were issued :up:

Neil

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
Perry,

Glad to see you got a warning. Be safe out there. I lived in Berkeley for 4.5 years, and logged close to 21K miles around there on 2 and 4 wheels, from Grizzley Peak to Pinole Valley and all the way up to Lake Berryessa. Those were the good times.

Never got a ticket and no accidents, but had a few close calls on my Ducati a few times. I liked going out very early or going out very late at night. Early was the best time to go. Very late night would be all the Berkeley Engineering students with their drift cars, great cars, but no driving talent, so can be dangerous.

Be safe out there. Just buy a 959, and I will come up with sport bike and run with you up on the hills one of these days.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Lucky you are not 21.. Would of been a ticket right there

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
fishguy, is that you?
:D

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed any time you are "drifiting" through corners on a public road you are going way to fast ! Here are 4 things you probably don't want to see while drifting around a blind corner at 75mph : :eek:
Don't worry I make sure to stay on my side of the road when drifting...

Early AM practice run at the Virginia City hillclimb(supposedly the course was closed and secured): Carving around a turn on Goodyear cantilever slicks slight drift at about 80+mph and I am heading for the front of an errant bus that was mistakenly allowed on the course:eek:. I think I saw god just for a split second! I got it back in line about a foot from the front corner of the busrotfl Phew!!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you're up there again, continue on Fish Ranch and follow it 'til it joins Clairmont Ave. It's all downhill...take the first left and follow the streets down the hill. You should come out in the back of the Claremont Hotel or on Tunnel Rd (which goes E/W).

If you go right before Ashby...the first street you come to will be Sorority Row...UC Berkeley...take a right.

These would be ways to shake someone who is chasing you as in "road rage"...not the CHP.

I was born, raised, and went to school there...know the area well. You were not too far from where Clint Eastwood and Tom Hanks lived.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been pulled over now 7 times in the (almost) year that I've had the Esprit. I've only been issued one citation for speeding, and I deserved it. The rest were just bored police.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you're up there again, continue on Fish Ranch and follow it 'til it joins Clairmont Ave. It's all downhill...take the first left and follow the streets down the hill. You should come out in the back of the Claremont Hotel or on Tunnel Rd (which goes E/W).

If you go right before Ashby...the first street you come to will be Sorority Row...UC Berkeley...take a right.

These would be ways to shake someone who is chasing you as in "road rage"...not the CHP.

I was born, raised, and went to school there...know the area well. You were not too far from where Clint Eastwood and Tom Hanks lived.

There have been other times when I noticed THE PO possibly turning to come and get me and I just ignored them and kept going. Never found out if they actually came after me as they took too long to get turned around on Grizzly Peak. In an Elise you can get through about three or four corners in that amount of timerotfl

·
Registered
591 Posts
What is your definition of drifting.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Virginia city hill climb

I did the hill climb one year with the ferrari club. What a crazy event - talk about no runoff!!! (you just learn to fly). I got a ride up the hill with Amir Rosenbaum in his heavily modified F40 (running on slicks). At the approach to the first corner I had to accept that I was probably going to die, as all I could see was air ahead, and Amir was going crazy fast, and not braking. We went over 140 mph on the short straight 2/3rds of the way up the hill - I got to 110 in my modded 348. In the back of my mind I kept remembering that the year before he had gone off course and tore the entire suspension out of the F40 (ouch!).

One very crazy ride!!!

Here is a link to Amir running the car at Bonneville - a buddy of mine put the video together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpI00qfYfjo

tim

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did the hill climb one year with the ferrari club. What a crazy event - talk about no runoff!!! (you just learn to fly). I got a ride up the hill with Amir Rosenbaum in his heavily modified F40 (running on slicks). At the approach to the first corner I had to accept that I was probably going to die, as all I could see was air ahead, and Amir was going crazy fast, and not braking. We went over 140 mph on the short straight 2/3rds of the way up the hill - I got to 110 in my modded 348. In the back of my mind I kept remembering that the year before he had gone off course and tore the entire suspension out of the F40 (ouch!).

One very crazy ride!!!

Here is a link to Amir running the car at Bonneville - a buddy of mine put the video together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpI00qfYfjo

tim
The year I ran my urQuattro(track car) up there Amir had removed the RH seat in his F40 so that "no one could ask for a ride up the hill"rotfl
I remember that every time Amir made a shreiking run in the F40(Steve or Mike?) Beddor would beat it by just a smidge in his super quiet yellow RUF Turbo(CTR?). That RUF car was quite a sleeper:up:.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
What is your definition of drifting.
All four tires are loosing varying degrees of traction and the car drifts toward outside corner not necessarily off line since you can plan the drift to coincide with your intended line. With a mid engined car it is a bit easier to drift than with a front or rear engined car. Most "Drifters" actually call sliding drifting since they don't usually get their front tires to slide much. They usually keep the front tires hooked up and work the rears. I guess that's why they usually go with a front engined rear drive car(easy to get the rear out and keep it there).

·
Registered
658 Posts
OPD has a speed trap as you get closer to the Hotel, I would turn around further up the road and avoid their turf.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts